Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
ME
City
central
Our ten y o standard poodle has always been attached to me , but never a kisser or licker...until lately. Once a day or so, he'll come ad lick my useless hands for several minutes. At first I thought, ewww, but one evening I watched him lick his sore paw,and it hit me that maybe he's trying to fix my hands. So now I don't mind.
Other dog / PALS stories?

Sue

That's sweet... my dog sticks like glue to me, but she pretty much always has...

My pup also sticks by my side...but much more so lately. She licks my bad foot...which she didn't do before...and now spends more time with her head on my lap while I pet her...sometimes as long as an hr at times. She also is much better on walks with me than anyone else. Everyone else she pulls. Nice slack leash with her right by my side all the way...unless I tell her to pull me home...she does that well too ;)

Snoop has never been able to control his likker. He's a large dachshund and I have "belonged" to him since we got him at 9 months. He is a constant companion along with his cat, Max. He can't sit with me for long periods in the PWC but is in my lap as soon as I transfer to the recliner. Once Snoop is settled in my lap, Max curls up in the PWC. Since it has become more difficult for me to turn over in bed, we've had to put his dog bed on the foot of my bed to keep him from cuddling up next to me. (He's 28 pounds and was difficult to move even before I got weaker.) Max is now sleeping at my feet as well. Max has night watch and accompanies to the bathroom during the night. Snoop now waits for me at the bedroom doorway in the morning when I get up and refuses to go with my CALS until I give him permission. If I'm sitting at the computer, he's on the sofa closest to me. They both go with me as I move about the house during the day.

Dogs will lick wounds. Your story is sweet and your dog is telling you he/she knows! Our dog hasn't been licking, but he is stuck to my husband like glue so much that we have to watch. My husband will trip over him! He is by his side constantly. When my husband has fallen, he panics, but stays right beside him until help comes. Our dog is a Golden Retriever, Sampson. He is so sweet! God Bless!

We have the most wonderful story about our wonderful collie Treve. He comes into to my husband's room and nibbles on the mattress, sheets, blankets, pillow that his feet are propped up on, whatever is closest. He never started this behavior until last month. We call them his love bites.

Treve also gets excited when my husband is being moved into his power chair with the hoyer lift and he'll walk under the lift but he doesn't get in the way. He knows that there is a good chance that he will get to go on a walk!

Thanks for posting such a good thread. Our dog is such a wonderful member of our family.

Its been known that some dogs can sense and detect cancers... bet this is along the same lines as this.
Such wonderful creatures!

Our collie used to guard/heard our son when he was little. It was fun to watch, as our collie never left his side.

She never was an anxious dog and long before Don was diagnosed she started freaking out when he left the house. Her anxiety increased as he declined. She was a basket case. She would go to sleep by his bed on the bare floor, instead of sleeping in her bed that was a few feet away. I would move the bed closer and she would not sleep there. She had to be right at the side/head of the bed and I was afraid Don would fall over her if he got up. Perhaps she knew her bed would cause him to fall but she could move out of the way.

My dachshund is attached strongly to me, but I obedience trained her for over a year, even going to a trial. She earned her Canine Good Citizen after finishing Therapy Dog class. We never did hospiyal/nursing hme visits. Now, she has to be in the same room with me, burrowed into her blanket. She will often lick my left hand, trying to make it better. She's 8 years old, turning gray, and as most dachshunds, a real princess who rules her little kingdom. She's the 9th doxie I've had. When we got her, I said she's the last b/c I wanted to be free to travel when I retired. Ha.

Thanks for letting us share about the smallest members of our families.

My dog story is a little, we did not have a dog! One day my BIL found a lost beagle sitting in the middle of the road. He brought her home, now if you are familiar with beagles you will know they love above all food and children! The dog came in the house walked past all the grandchildren, the kitchen right down the hall to Sis. Jumped up on the bed without touching any tubes (peg, bi pap, and catheter), and lay down. She had never been in the house. We tried to find out who owned her with no success, so we kept her. That was the only time I ever saw her by pass food or kids. Dogs know things we don't.
Small second story, my Dad's border collie would herd him to the side of the road and home long before we realized he has alzheimers.
Thank you Lord, for dogs

I love these stories -- very uplifting!

My Dad's dog was always with him even before he was diagnosed (her name is Shadow). The dog is even more so by his side constantly now. When Dad could still manage to walk we would have to call the dog and try to get her out of his way so he wouldn't fall. And now taking my Dad by wheel chair to the kitchen table or bathroom that dog is right with him jumping in the way, almost anticipating "Oh now we can go for a walk?" We do notice that Shadow seems sadder, maybe we are all just crazy lol, you can tell the dog is bothered and knows something is up. When Dad had spent some time in the hospital that dog would sit downstairs by the door waiting for him to come home~how sweet!

I have always heard dogs have great senses. If someone comes to your door & the dog is growling that person is B A D :evil:

I have an elderly Chihuahua who belonged to my significant other and did his best to watch over him. After my SO passed on, the dog had a hard time deciding who to choose for his "person" but finally chose me--knew I was the food lady, I think. Now that I have developed health problems, he keeps a close eye on me. He really freaks out when I am in the shower with the bathroom door closed. Won't leave his spot by the door until I come out or open the door and let him in.

When I had a bad fall a year ago and couldn't get up, he sat on my chest and tried to bite the people who came to help. Not much of a threat, as he weighs 5.5 lbs. and has about three teeth, but he thought he was protecting me. Animals are wonderful company and much more perceptive than we realize.

I have said more than once, but I'll say it again. As Will Rogers said, "if dogs don't go to heaven, I want to go where they go!"

Our bulldog (80 lbs!) climbs up on the arm of my hubby's chair and licks him crazy. she really loves to jump up on the bed when he is laying down and lick his mouth. I can not pull her off him she is so intent on licking and licking. she doesn't do it to anyone else. I have long thought that it is because she senses he is sick and wants to "make him better". Very interesting that others here have the same experience!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back