Diagnosis
02/2011
Country
US
State
GA
City
Gwinnett
These past eight months have been the hardest months of my life with my husband diagnosed with ALS and seeing his rapid decline right before my eyes. I felt like I have not made much progress with the VA trying to get his disability rating changed- he is still at 30% which is a joke. We have jumped through all their hoops and we do have a PVA advocate. But I digress.

This week my husband received his power wheel chair, lift for his truck, hospital bed, Hoyer lift, etc, from the VA; ALS of Georgia delivered a lift chair; a new friend donated a ramp for the garage; and we bought and moved into a somewhat handicapped accessible ranch in the same county where we have lived for 25 years. Ten friends helped us move this weekend and we are now living in our new home. It was a very busy week for me.

I think all of you that are facing down this disease realize what a lift this is to our spirits. We can enjoy the sound of the waterfall in our lovely new back yard and I can watch my husband take our collie for a walk with his new power chair.

AND Wednesday we go to Emory for the Dex clinical trial.

Life is still good.

That is good news Georgia! I'm so happy for you! We are blessed.

Glad you've gotten those things accomplished! Sounds great!

Wow! Super productive & positive couple of days. I know, at least in Maine, the VA will cover the cost of the ramp. And did you realize there is a special adaptive housing grant that you can apply to your new home mortgage? I can't believe he is still at 30% if he is in power wheel chair. When was his last comp/pen exam?

Georgia, I do not know if I have told you before, but ask for an increase by filling out the form below. They have to give you a C&P exam within 30 days. Believe me, once you get the C&P, you will get up to 100%.

http://www.vba.va.gov/pubs/forms/VBA-21-4138-ARE.pdf

June. And nothing has been done. I'm ready to call my congressman.

Thanks Sadie Mae. The form will be filled out as soon as I find my cord for the printer! Everything is still in boxes but my husband is so much happier. This was the best "move" we could have made in our situation.

Ernesta - we were "promised" the ramp too. I know about the grants but doesn't he have to be at 100% in order to qualify?

Yup you are right re: grant. Hmmm I might reach out to either ALSA &/or congressperson. GOOD LUCK!

I am sooo happy for you GA Peach this sounds like a miracle to me...so much providential good coming your way. HURRAY !

Thanks for letting me share our good news with you. I tell people that chatting with you all on the Forum is so helpful and beneficial for our family. Happy Labor Day. My friend Janice and I were laboring emptying boxes and putting away dishes after the move. The work went faster with help.

Friday we went and picked up his AFO for the ATL VA Hospital that was ordered in June! He saw the OT Dept and they ordered items to assist with his loss of fine motor skills but the best thing of all was that they put in our request for the bathroom remodeling for the roll in shower. We would be so blessed if they will approve this work so that he could safely shower again.

AND then we went by the old house and picked up the suitcase ramp from the VA that allows him to wheel in the backyard to the patio which he has never seen since buying this new house. He was able to enjoy the sound of the water rushing from the backyard water fall and actually see the water lilies instead of me describing what they look like in the pond. So wonderful.

G.P. That is great news. Hopefully you can get the additional work done quickly. As hard as it
is to be on either side of the coin, Pal or Cal, they both carry a stress and a complicated set of
circumstances.

The V.A. is really doing a great job, I think. We the people are the V.A... Most of the nurses
and staff that I have worked with are stellar.

God Speed,

Jm

Congrats on everything that you have received and the somewhat normality that your life will get to. All of the items you receive are very helpful. Ed and I wish you both and happiness.

We did receive the ramp from the VA PT/OT put in a list (have not received 100%) and they put in a heavy duty ramp in the garage temporarily so Ed can get in and out.

We are still awaiting the signature on his approval, everything else is in place. We had the C & P exam and unfortunately the original date was way past 30 days. We did get our Congressman involved, moved up the date, and they have worked wonders. Hopefully you can find the type of person we did that goes above and beyond.

This continues to be a good week for us. We went to R&R Mobility and ordered a Honda Odyssey van with the ramp. They will handle the paperwork at the VA since we had the auto certificate. We have to savor these times because I know the future is so uncertain. The use of his right arm and hand continue to decline along with the loss of use of his right leg.

And we received another ramp. So I'm happy for now that he has mobility in and out of the house, front and back. He walks the dog twice a day with the power chair and I'm not sure who's happier! Probably me!

Home health care for PT and OT are scheduled for next week. So good things are coming our way from the VA.

Disability rating is another matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back