Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
It's a startling sight, vehicles rushing past vertically instead of horizontally, water spraying from car wheels in incongruous directions; all viewed from an alien location three inches above the bitumen. A startling sight to match the startling realization that Bugger can, after all, turn turtle. My power chair routinely leans back at the most alarming angle on ramps, causing bystanders to grab at the rear handles with a gratuitous expletive, thinking they might somehow save us. I barely notice this alarming tendency nowadays, but I well recall the gut-curling, breath-sucking fear I felt in our early days together, especially when negotiating those troublesome ramps from roadway to footpath. The feeling that we were about to tip was appalling! Having traversed innumerable slopes since then I had developed what now seems a somewhat insane conviction that it was physically impossible to flip my Marque.

I do love the ride! After five months power-chairing with B4 I still relish a long foray into unfamiliar terrain. Today, however, it’s getting tricky. I am climbing a precipitous incline, gradually ascending the plateaux behind the strip of golden Sydney beaches where we have been holidaying. These footpaths are certainly not ‘accessible’, and I’ve had to retrace my tracks to find an alternate route half a dozen times already. I am encountering impassable obstacles, dead ends and impossible gradients on this narrow, windy road; and there is an unpredictable rush of traffic around its many blind bends. Heavy rain began falling about ten minutes ago, requiring a ninja-like flourish of the umbrella permanently sheathed behind my seat. On a corner just a block from my destination the road is intersected by an even steeper incline. The footpath ends with one of the dreaded ramps, awkwardly slanting to accommodate the new grade. The pitch is too much ... I am pushing right and up on the joystick ... adjusting the speed setting to balance power and control ... B4 fights valiantly ... I can feel the wheels beginning to slip on the wet concrete of the gutter ... this incline does not feel good ... oh no ...

Bang!

(Bugger!)

And a startling view of cars flying horizontally past us.

A firm harness that I designed a few weeks ago to lessen wobble-fatigue probably saved me from injury; but it also trapped me firmly to the asphalt. With rain streaming into my clothing everywhere it shouldn’t, I had the oddest thought: Will this play out like those appalling news items we see occasionally from the cities of the civilised world where no one stops to help a fallen human being? No, this is Sydney, and the Aussie spirit is alive and well! In no time a car and then a motorcycle rider stop, and soon enough these genuine blokes have done the de-turtling and B4 is back on six wheels. Initially she won’t budge, warning lights are flashing in the controls. But then we are off; with shelter and warmth only minutes away. Tomorrow morning our little grandsons will arrive and our family will be gathering. And I’ve made it. Phew!

It was a near miss, no doubt! There must be any number of ways that the episode could have been worse, if not dire. B4 has no more than a gash in her Tasmanian Oak arm rest; and I have little more than a grazed and stiff arm. And like every close shave, it makes a cool story! One to tell your mates, something to write home about ... something to blog! I wonder, why is it so much fun to boast about the moments when we narrowly elude catastrophe? Why do men (and women?) bear scars with such pride; and so readily hold forth on the minutiae of their battle wounds?

A great deal of life consists in pitting ourselves against the odds; and I wonder why? The easy days, the golden days, seem rare enough; and they are hard-won. If it’s not a struggle with finance it’s strife with illness. If it’s not the quirks of technology that conspire our ruin it might be the forces of nature instead. Conflict, contest, competition: our existence always seems to be a battle, one way and another. Great art is most often the story of the Great Struggle. A plethora of axioms and clichés was tersely summarised by one of our Prime Ministers: “Life wasn’t meant to be easy”. As I write Queensland is in its third week of extreme flooding, lives have been taken, many are missing, and tens of thousands have lost their homes. We reserve our most visceral admiration not for the skilled, but for the hero.

Death and Resurrection play out in the petty and in the grand schemes of our lives in wondrous ways. I’m not sure I understand it; but I do love the ride!

Rejoice!

I am very glad to know that you werent hurt and bless those who stopped to help out.
Thanks for sharing- youre a brave man.

Roderick, When I get time to read the "New Posts" each day, I always stash away yours until I know I have time to savor it. Even when you are relating your turtle story, you turn it into poetry! Entertaining even given the possibility of ending in a horrible tragedy. You do have a way with words! Thanks for sharing.

I am very glad to know that you werent hurt and bless those who stopped to help out.
Thanks for sharing- youre a brave man.

I think "foolhardy" is a better fit! So does my wife.

Well, OK. But you said it, not me :)

Dear Roderick, I admit I wondered what your wife had to say; Phil would have blown up--anytime I get too near disaster he blows his gasket.

Your opening words had me in a quandary wondering what you were alluding to. I kept thinking, "he didn't, he didn't", and there you went and "did". And I should actually thank you because I've become very cavalier about jumping onto my lift in a tilt... which taken too far would mean flipping backwards as I go up the little ramp. I think the time has come to learn from the mistakes of others.

"Life wasn't meant to be easy" goes well with "Life never promised to be fair", so we would do well to chuck out the expectations of it being otherwise.

I am very glad you weren't run over and had your harness on you, and had good Samaritans to help you get back up!

I am of the firm belief, especially after becoming a fan of wheelchair sports, that being crip just makes fear harder to do, and the poor ABs can't possibly keep up. We are a people who literally do nothing at all if we risk nothing at all, and so we are warriors. Warriors fall in battle... but the things they do BEFORE that are legendary!

I giggle whenever someone gets knocked over in walkie basketball and everyone freaks out, the whole game pauses. I giggled when they let a "30 days in a wheelchair" type guy, an NFL all star, play quad rugby, and he not only was amazed by how hard it was, he never seemed to realize paraplegics are considered too able bodied to play.

Roderick, glad that you're upright now and I hope you stay that way. One of the things that I love about my current chair is that it is very solid outdoors although I haven't tested it like you have.

I was exploring our holiday neighbourhood yesterday Barry and came to a fantastic dirt track into a thickly timbered reserve. It looked so inviting, but my chair is hopeless on uneven dirt and sand. I had a long hard look, had to summon all my self controll, and drove away. My chair is fantastic in urban environments and indoors, but I'd love it if it would go exploring in the bush. Asking a bit much I guess!

The most memorable moments in life are those in which we teeter on the precipice between life and death. We spend years, nay decades toiling along with nary a thought. The true value in life is measured in those moments that we glimpse the other side. I rode a bicycle six miles to work every day for a year. One night I came home in a blinding snowstorm, having fallen at one point on the side of the road and sliding along for nearly a hundred yards on my back towards the trees. When I walked in the door, covered from head to toe in snow, water dripping off my beard, Liz looked at me and said "Why do you do this stuff?". All I could say was "I just feel so damned ALIVE!" It was the most visceral experience of my life. I'm forty six years old, I can count the number of experiences I've had like that on the fingers of my two hands. I wouldn't trade those experiences for a thousand years of life. It's all about the moments, I'm sure of it.

I had something similar happen one of the first times I went out off road. I got on to a narrow trail that went over a ditch. It was too slanted for safety but when I tried to turn around my back wheels started to go off the edge. I was pretty scared but luckily this guy came along and helped me. He was like 70 but really strong. He ran over and lept down into the ditch, pushing on the wheelchair while I tried to make it turn. Between us we got it turned around and I was able to get back to the road.

After that I was much more conservative in what I was willing to tackle when out.

Dick, you are so right about those moments. I can still vividly remember each and every time when I felt, figuratively and literally, on the edge. Hanging on with shaking fingers and toes hundreds of feet in the air as a mountain climber, the excitement of exploring a sunken wreck as a scuba diver, skiing down a dark, narrow mountain trail in the dark with a very inadequate flashlight after a three day ski mountaineering trip and many more exciting times. All those memories will stay with me for as long as I am here and I would not trade them for anything.

Now my challenges are not as spectacular to others but are just as (or more) important to me. Now my mountains are my bed, chair and the route between them, instead of clearing my scuba mask at 60 feet I clear my throat at my sink, instead of crawling through a cave passage in the mountains I struggle to turn over in bed.

But most importantly, instead of the exploring the outdoors with friends I now travel this ALS journey with my friends here, friends who truly are the bravest people on earth.

Barry, Hal, Dick; I'm loving the spirit of this thread! Ive read over your comments severall times, they are just packed with beautiful, true thoughts.

"I just feel so damned ALIVE!"

"It's all about the moments, I'm sure of it."

"Now my challenges are not as spectacular to others but are just as (or more) important to me. ... But most importantly, instead of the exploring the outdoors with friends I now travel this ALS journey with my friends here, friends who truly are the bravest people on earth."

A quote comes to mind.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
William Wallace

Thanks for sharing, guys. I agree with Roderick; powerful thread.

A quote comes to mind.

"Every man dies. Not every man really lives."
William Wallace

Thanks for sharing, guys. I agree with Roderick; powerful thread.

Now that's going on my fridge for all to see!:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back