Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
A very good year, barely worn in, has given way to twenty-eleven (a jaw-breaking mouthful of a word), and I confess to being ill at ease with the New Year. For one thing it’s a prime number, which is odd. It doesn’t roll of the tongue. It’s all shiny and new. Or perhaps it’s something deeper...

Last year, twenty-ten, was terrific! A bonzer, cracking year; a peerless age. There were one or two difficult moments, but oh so many glory days. It was roughly this time 12 months ago when good old Bugger and I first eyed each other suspiciously across the garage floor. After just four months my operator’s license was upgraded from manual to power , and I steadily progressed from Bugger #1 through B2 and B3 and on to the celebrated B4! It’s amazing to think that the contraption that once scared the daylights out of me has become the vehicle of so many wonderful encounters with family and friends.

I tallied up the miles last week, wondering just how far the various incarnations of Bugger and I had travelled in 2010. A little over 20,000km by my reckoning, and most of that on public transport. Not bad, not bad at all! Finding that B4 and I could roll onto busses and trains was the discovery of the year. The sense of independence is intoxicating. Back in November I managed to travel by interstate rail on eight consecutive days (and I’ve been trying to casually drop that statistic into a blog ever since!) So tell me now: How cool is that?

I love travelling. In fact I adore it; but only when it has a purpose. The Grand Tour was undoubtedly the month I spent in Central Australia pushing B1 through the red sands of the Gibson Desert (Kurta, yirringkarra-rni!). Worshiping with Aboriginal brothers and sisters before dawn on Easter Sunday is an indelible, priceless memory. The purpose of every journey (other than a couple of mongrel trips to doctors and hospitals) has been to be with the people I know and love. It’s who we have, not what we have, that matters in life.

2010 was the year my Favourtie Wife and I found Snow!

2010 was the year of the Shed.

2010 was also the year to surrender my licence; a moment that loomed with unreasonable dread, a monstrous shadow cast by a meager creature. In the event I found that wisdom welled up from who knows where, and I could see with absorbing clarity that Surrender is an ultimate proof of possession. It is only that which I can freely give that I have ever truly held. Learning the graceful art of surrender has proved essential; and a continual challenge. Today for example, New Years Day, I capitulated and employed a robotic, computer-generated voice for the first time. Plenty of blog-fodder there in coming months I suspect!

From time to time in life I have felt that I must be the most fortunate man to have ever walked the green fields of this good earth. The force of this awareness is hard to describe. I don’t simply feel content with my lot; this is not mere satisfaction; nor good luck. I feel a sense akin to guilt at being so privileged, at receiving such blessing, at providence having been so opportune. I feel it still, even today.

When we first married I bought a large ‘minute journal’, bound in green leather and suede, and began to record the seasons as they came and went. The funny things our children said, the achievements of our family, and our dilemmas as well. I’ve sometimes rehearsed in my mind the alarming stench of smoke and the desperate rush to retrieve a single possession, our treasured Green Book, seconds before the burning house comes crashing down! Random readings are a feature of family gatherings, and they are a nourishing delight. In every season, the good and bad, for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and in health, we seem to have done well. A life so rich that even the bad bits are good.

I have never felt as alive. I am enjoying life so much that I feel in danger of crossing over an invisible line beyond which one might somehow take a pathological pleasure in illness itself. When you discover freedom in the midst of confinement it comes like a slow dawn. Your eyes almost perversely seek out the darkness, but there is soon none to be found. That's the great thing about light, it utterly dispels the night.

So, maybe there’s hope for twenty-eleven after all?

Rejoice!

I can so relate to what you have said. The year was 2007 when the transitions you talk about happened to me.

Roderick-
A profound and beautiful message. What a blessing to be so aware, so alive in the light, and to describe it with such a compelling voice. You've inspired and blessed me with your words, my friend. Thank you ... thank you.

Roderick,

You have so many gifts...but finding the joy at the heart of difficulty is one of your stellar abilities which is wonderful. Even your phrase "mongrel trips to doctors and hospitals" is amusing to read. And cleverly seeing your new voice as "blog-fodder" brings a sort of promise to make the best from this.

"I have never felt as alive" is an interesting truth... by looking over the rim and acknowledging that it's right there, life is made more real. And yes, we are told by the Expert that light does dispel the darkness. KBO.

Roderick, once again your gift for expressing yourself in words , gives hope and comfort. We sure are lucky to have your insight and optimistic stories that bring a smile, even when you are in a less than good place on this journey. Thank you, thank you. :)

KBO Roderick! My sentiments exactly. I also think it's cool that the world is so connected that people on opposite sides both say "How cool is that?"

Thank you Joel, Dianne, Ann, David, Tom ....
Do you know, when I turn the computer off on Sunday night I'm usually quite unsure if what I have written for the week will be recieved well; I cant help fretting about having been a bit too personal, or having given a false impression - you name it, I worry about it! Then on Monday morning I wait for a while and with baited breath see what has been said! I am constantly grateful for this amazing 'net' that gives us all the richness of our conversations and the ability to share each other's journeys. It is truly an honour getting to know you.

Roderick-
What you write is more than "well received"- it is the light!

You are an exceptional writer I always love to read your posts.God Bless .
Sharon

Roderick you paint with words. Truly it brings the images so clearly that one can lose themself while reading your words. I find I can lose myself in the words of Leonard Cohen and his songs, and that happens when I read your "essays on life".
Laurel

Roderick you paint with words. Truly it brings the images so clearly that one can lose themself while reading your words. I find I can lose myself in the words of Leonard Cohen and his songs, and that happens when I read your "essays on life".
Laurel

Laurel, Goodness me! Well, I think much of it is that we are all of us speaking the same language here, and simple thoughts resonate deeply with us! But thank you.

I look forward to your words. I missed it earlier because of the New Year drama with my daughter. It spoke so deeply to me, especially after such a hard start to the year. Thank you so much.
Aly

I have arranged for evening help to get my late feed done and help me into bed and bipap on so that will be good now if I can get this wheelchair problem figured out.

Dear Rodrick,
I find your posts uplifting,please keep writing, it helps many of us.I hope it helps you too.
blessings, Pat

Dear Rodrick,
I find your posts uplifting,please keep writing, it helps many of us.I hope it helps you too.
blessings, Pat

Hello Pat,
Thank you, and I certainly will keep trying. You are quite right though, I find that writing helps me a great deal. It keeps me honest with myself, and I think it helps me understand the strange turns of life. Wishing you well,
R.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back