Diagnosis
09/2010
Country
US
State
ME
City
central
This is a story of hope. The last two months have been tough, but I have huge family support. I offered to host Thanksgiving for us, my sister's family, and our new neighbors since we love to trade holidays and this one I felt I could manage more than Christmas. (My sister, who is also my neighbor, would have been fine with hosting both- this was my choice.) So, we had twelve in our little farmhouse. Now, you all don't know me, but I am the boss of my kitchen and have no idea how to delegate. And I am just learning the wonderful lesson of asking for help. Wednesday, my sister grocery shopped for me, and my neighbor came over with her two toddlers to help clean the house and prep vegetables. Thursday morning I woke so excited at 5:30 and got the blueberry pie (my daughter's request) in the oven right off. I had to breathe deeply and try to not get frustrated with rolling out the crust with my spazzy arms and hands, but I got it. Meanwhile my husband vacuumed and my neighbor came over again to help me get the bird stuffed and in the oven, and help with the appetizers. My daughter got home from her night shift at 10 a.m. and pitched in making her favorite appetizers, and my niece came over to see what she could help with, and got to fetch the special T-day plates from the attic, wash them, find the table linens, and drag in and set the big table. I almost fell over when I heard that my husband was ironing the napkins! With occasional rest breaks and some real progress in my delegating skills, we had the appetizer table loaded and were watching the Patriots play football by 12:30 with everyone arrived. The love and laughter were simply wonderful. I directed the turkey basting (since I can't pull that much out of the oven) and everyone else bustled around finishing their side dishes. My sister and I are the gravy queens, and we made up a ton (don't want to run out of gravy, and how great for my calorie intake!). By 3:00 we had the food on the sideboard and everyone seated around the big table that we had wedged kittykorner into our dining room. My agnostic sister (I am the only Christian in the bunch) offered to say grace, and from the invocation had everyone in tears. It was really moving and big-spirited. Then she helped my husband serve, since I can't hold a plate in one hand to dish with the other. Once I was seated with a plate in front of me, nobody let me do any more work. Water, wine, seconds, and all of those dishes. We chatted and laughed and toasted those who weren't with us and those who had been away but now returned, and our new neighbors, and I'm sure some more. People were patient when I had to say things twice. The whole day I just felt so carried and loved.
This was our first family holiday since my diagnosis, and it gave me great hope. I'm sure some of you PALS have experienced the same. I wish you all supporting love as we enter the holiday season. And lots of laughs.
Sue

Sue, what a wonderful day. I'm so glad you were able to do so much, and still receive such great help and support. It's wonderful that your sister lives next door and that your family is wanting to support you.

I had a chuckle over your "boss of the kitchen and have no idea how to delegate"--you could have been describing me. I can tell you that when the time comes that you have to give it up, it'll be more relief than grief. But it sounds like today you delegated!

Thanks for the great story and terrific description of your day. Aren't you tired, though, today?

Sue, what a heart warming description of family life. I felt i was right there with you. You have a good way with words!
It is hopeful to know that those close to us, are on the journey with us. Yesterday I prayed for andybody with ALS who didnt have close relatives or friends surrounging them. Love is the only thing that makes the journey doable! Thanks for sharing!

Sue what a truly wonderful story. I felt like I was there basking in the warmth of the love in your family. I think you must be a very lovable person.
Laurel

Sue you are very lucky to have such a support team, and I did kind of feel like I was right there with you...Good story, glad your day was so good!

That was a wonderful story and warmed my heart. Thank you for sharing.

Thanks, all-- I wanted to share because you folks on this forum have been SO helpful and kind to me. It's been a real lifeline and I'm sure will continue to be.
And Ann, yes, I was exhausted yesterday. I had enough gas in the morning for a haircut (back to short hair, can't do braids anymore!) and my PT/workout, then just flopped around the house with my husb and sister-in-law for the day. Roy and I managed to get the turkey carcass into the soup pot, and I call that good. Today is going to be pretty low key too!
Sue

Sue, I'm impressed with your accomplishments yesterday! Also with your helpers; what a great family. Enjoy today's rest!

Sue,

I'm glad you had such a nice day! I'm sitting here sorry I missed it!

That sounds awesome! It was also my first Thanksgiving since diagnosis and we opted to let my sister host this year. Some because I couldn't do as much and some because it was easier for three of us to travel than to have everyone else come out here (we're about 3 hrs away). We did have everyone cook a part of the meal and I got to celebrate with my Mom and my Godmother as well as nieces, nephews, cousins and friends. A Saints win finished off a great day!

Sue, Happy Belated Thanksgiving Day glad 2 hear u had so much help and love, that is what it takes 2 get through this. God will give u the strenght u need.

My husband was diagnosed in Oct. We had a wonderful day with his family at a nieces house. We are also blessed with a great family and loads of support. Today was an emotional day for my DH. This was the first time he looked at me an told me he could just cry. I held him and told him it would make him feel better. I know it makes me feel better. We are thinking things are progressing very fast. His arms and legs have gotten very weak in just over a month. He has started to use a cane and walker. His wonderful family made contributions and a brother-in-law helped to build a wheelchair ramp.

It is so comforting to know we are not alone. My thanks and deep appreciation for those on this forum that share their strength!

Such a wonderful day for you all. i am so happy for you.

What a wonderful day you had. Gotta love family!

Hi Sue,
I loved reading about your Thanksgiving, it my first too since my Dx.
We celebrated yesterday-Sunday since our new grandson arrived on Thursday.
everyone worked together, I'll admit I felt a little useless
and teary at times. I know I need to accept my dependence better.
Thank you for your story, SUE,we do share one thing,great families.
blessings, Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back