Diagnosis
05/2009
Country
AU
State
VIC
City
Wodonga
(This anecdote, which I first wrote for Rejoice! dates back to May this year, days after I had taken delivery of Bugger Mark II, or "B2", my first power chair. I am posting it today because I reckon we need to smile often, and because one successfull adventure creates much faith for the next one!)

Ignorance, the Mother of Adventure

The plan to drive B2 a couple of kilometres to the Doctor's practice was sound and succesful. So successful in fact that I couldn’t resist propelling a little further east, just to see what lay over the horizon of the next intersection. And the next, and the following, and the one after that.

So, if I hadn't decided to continue all the way across town to the shopping centre, I might not have flattened B2's batteries. And then I might not have had to timidly ask if I might use a power point in a Café.

And if I hadn't stayed for a second cup of tea in the Café, waiting for the batteries to charge, I might not have been running so late heading home. And if I hadn't been delayed I probably wouldn't have made the regrettable mistake of balancing my iPhone on my lap while I drove B2, just in case my Favourite Wife rang to find out why it was that the sun was setting and I wasn’t home.

And if I hadn't had to backtrack so far fruitlessly searching for my lost iPhone I probably wouldn't have completely flattened B2's batteries yet again!

And if the man who found my phone hadn't been so kind, and if he didn't happen to live just round the corner from my Favourite Wife's work, she might not have retrieved my lost phone; and then she might not have come looking for me in the car as the chill of dusk crept in.

And if the man who found my phone (whose name I may never know) hadn't pressed redial on my phone he wouldn't have ended up speaking to a girl I went to school with, and she wouldn't have been able to send him a rather neat thankyou-gift from the prime time TV series she produces.

And if Karen hadn't come looking for me, then she wouldn't have known that I was about to get stuck in the growing dark with no battery power; and I wouldn't have been able to send her home to get the brand new, thick, red rope I had in our garage - ready for just such a moment as this. And then I wouldn't have been able to hang onto the rope and yell directions through the back hatch of our car. Mainly "Slow Down!"

And if I hadn't of done that, I might still have been out there!

We couldn’t stop laughing when all four of us (me, B2, iPhone, Favourite Wife) finally made it safely indoors. What a huge relief!

Adventure! It's irresistible; you've got to love the ride.

Rejoice!

I love this story, chronicling your adventures, and your lack of fear. It is a great story for the "Hope" section!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back