Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
MD
City
Rockville
Our friend was diagnosed in 2012. He has had a few falls, one with serious head injury about 16 months ago (subdural and subarachnoid bleeds). His ALS has progressed to the point that he cannot use his legs and arms, but can use it hands a very little bit. He he has a great attitude and is usually cheerful. The VA has been awesome in providing equipment. I wish they'd give him more hours of aide time, but you can't have everything.

He was hospitalized with pneumonia a few months ago; aspiration was a factor. A feeding tube was inserted a couple months ago. Last night, he was hospitalized with pneumonia again.

My husband and I are 1500 miles away and have these pesky jobs we have to go to -- we wish we could fly to them when these needs arise. I did go stay for nearly a week after that bad fall, to help with meals, shopping, errands, and their daughter's homework.

We are praying for him and his wife and daughter. For strength, for comfort, for peace. And for healing. But is that right? Is that what is best for him? Perhaps being released from this is what is best? Perhaps it is best if God takes him home now.

I'll join you in prayers for comfort for both him and his family. I pray for my healing and have others pray for me. Everyone dies at some point and I think you have to rely on your faith and his faith to get through this journey.

How wonderful of you to care and to help when you can--so many people pull away.

The thing about this disease is that it takes it's own course. If you wish for healing and peace, how they are delivered is not up to you--so go ahead and wish for them. Pray for them. If you are religious, then you can say that God will chose the form they take.

I have a friend who I know will come from across the country if I call her. I have not done so, yet, but it is a truly great comfort to know she is there. You are providing comfort by caring, so thank you for that.

Becky

When I was in Catholic high school, we faced a similar conundrum,

Sister Mary Biology was sick in the hospital, so Sister Mary Algebra announced it over the Public Address system and asked everyone to pray that Sister Mary Biology should either have a speedy recovery or be taken to Heaven soon.

So all the nuns prayed that Sister Mary Biology would have a speedy recovery,
and all the students prayed that she would be taken to Heaven soon.

DigPlantWeed: May I respectfully suggest praying that God hears your friend's plight, and ask God to do as He will.

(Apologies to George Carlin.)

Thanks everyone for your responses. I am retiring in a couple of months and will fly out to see our friends and shortly thereafter.

Mike, I'm a Catholic school survivor myself. I had a few of those nuns as teachers. One I called "the psycho nun from hell." (Now I'm technically excommunicated because my Lutheran husband did not seek a Catholic annulment for his Lutheran marriage to a nonbaptized women. Oh well,stuff happens.)

Mike, I'm a Catholic school survivor myself. I had a few of those nuns as teachers. One I called "the psycho nun from hell." (Now I'm technically excommunicated because my Lutheran husband did not seek a Catholic annulment for his Lutheran marriage to a nonbaptized women. Oh well,stuff happens.)

:) :) :)

Catholic HS was the greatest, most fun time. Once those girls got those plaid uniforms off... sorry, mixed company.

Oh, Darn! I just realized this is the Religion and Christians forum. Sorry for trespassing. (Surprised I didn't burst into flame.)

Come on mike, we all know you've got angels wings...you are too supportive not too!

DPW, are your friends, for want of a better word, religious?

Healing can mean different things. It can mean mending broken relationships whilst there's time, accepting limitations, even saying 'I love you,' every day when it may not have happened before.

God knows what's in your heart, what you are trying to say.

I truly believe that, because he makes sense of my jibberish!

Hello,

I agree with the responses regarding prayer and don't know if I can add much more than what has already been said. We are conditioned to have hope and when it comes to prayers and higher powers, we are told that healing does occur and miracles do happen so to pray for a merciful ending seems counter intuitive to God's ultimate power to heal. I suspect many around your friend who see the suffering day in and day out have similar prayer dilemmas. What I have learned is that prayer tends to give us a semblance of control in an otherwise out of control situation. Prayer provides soothing for the one who is praying more than for the one whom is being prayed for (not to be confused for being prayed over). We want to do anything we can to change the current situation but realize we are powerless so prayer helps us regain some power by appealing to the ultimate power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back