Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Columbus
I have been having slurred speech for about a year now. It seems to have stalled a bit, as I can still make myself understood and can still hold a job. I do have saliva and sometimes mucus issues, but sometimes my mouth is so dry I can't stand it---I drink over a gallon of water every day. I can still eat anything I want and swallow just fine. I had a clear MRI and blood/urine work, but I'm having an EMG done tomorrow. From what I read on the sites, it's all over but the shouting---I know I have Bulbar Palsy. i'm not afraid of death, but dying of this frightens me. I'm terrified of the day when I lose my speech altogether and have to rely on lots of equipment to keep going. I'm alone of all my relatives in the city where I live. I need help from people who have been there. Thanks so much! :-(

Good luck tomorrow. Wait for the results. Could be something else.

We will be here for you and do let us know what the test shows.

Hang in there. Yes, please wait for the results before 'shouting'. :) There are other things it could be - 'stalling a bit' is a good thing! Good luck tomorrow and let us know what happens.

My EMG was negative--showed nothing out of the ordinary. My neuro tested my tongue, face, foot, legs, arms, hands, shoulder, neck and back. I had so many band-aids afterward I looked like I'd been in a bar fight. Anyway, he was pretty frustrated afterward, and told me he would like to run the test again in about 3-4 months. So I'm seeing him for a follow-up appointment on April 17. So until then---i wait!

It is never easy waiting. Have patience these tests are a process of elimination. Don't worry though you are not alone, we will wait with you and send hugs and encouragment through your wait. Keep us posted. Peace.

My EMG was negative--showed nothing out of the ordinary. My neuro tested my tongue, face, foot, legs, arms, hands, shoulder, neck and back. I had so many band-aids afterward I looked like I'd been in a bar fight. Anyway, he was pretty frustrated afterward, and told me he would like to run the test again in about 3-4 months. So I'm seeing him for a follow-up appointment on April 17. So until then---i wait!

Woohoo, I say.

A negative EMG is the best news. I do hope they get an answer for you soon, but happy it's not ALS. :lol:

My neuro wants to do another EMG in late March/early April. His office will let me know exactly when. I'm trying to enjoy life meantime and not constantly monitoring my smptoms!

Could very dry mouth be a part of ALS? I seem to have saliva in the front of my mouth but the back of my mouth and my tongue are very dry. Drinking water does not help, and i drink over a gallon a day.

The fact you can drink water is a sign away from ALS. Thin liquids are very difficult for PALS to swallow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back