Diagnosis
07/2007
Country
US
State
MD
City
Eastern Shore of Maryland
This thread exists in order to offer comfort and encouragement rooted in the eternal truths that God has revealed in His Scriptures to any and all whose lives have been devastated by ALS. He is indeed faithful to give a "peace that surpasses all comprehension" (Philippians 4:7) to all who believe the wonderful things of which He has so graciously informed us.
-Phil

Daily Light on the Daily Path

January 4
MORNING
Ye are not as yet come to the rest and to the inheritance, which the Lord your God giveth you.

This is not your rest. — There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. — Within the veil; whither the forerunner is for us entered, even Jesus.

In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. — With Christ; which is far better.

God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain; for the former things are passed away. — There the wicked cease from troubling: and there the weary be at rest.

Lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also. — Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.

DEUT. 12:9. Mic. 2:10. Heb. 4:9. Heb. 6:19,20. John 14:2,3. Phi. 1:23. Rev. 21:4. Job 3:17. Matt. 6:20,21. -Col. 3:2.

EVENING
O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?

The sting of death is sin. — But now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: so Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

As the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; and deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith: hence-forth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness.

I COR. 15:55. I Cor. 15:56. Heb. 9:26 28. Heb. 2:14,15. II Tim. 4:6 8.

NICE DESCEIPTION OF THIS RHREAD PHIL!

STREAMS IN THE DESERT BY LB COWMAN

I Heard a Still Voice

"There was silence, and I heard a still voice" (Job 4:16, margin).

A score of years ago, a friend placed in my hand a book called True Peace. It was an old mediaeval message, and it had but one thought--that God was waiting in the depths of my being to talk to me if I would only get still enough to hear His voice.

I thought this would be a very easy matter, and so began to get still. But I had no sooner commenced than a perfect pandemonium of voices reached my ears, a thousand clamoring notes from without and within, until I could hear nothing but their noise and din.

Some were my own voices, my own questions, some my very prayers. Others were suggestions of the tempter and the voices from the world's turmoil.

In every direction I was pulled and pushed and greeted with noisy acclamations and unspeakable unrest. It seemed necessary for me to listen to some of them and to answer some of them; but God said,

"Be still, and know that I am God." Then came the conflict of thoughts for tomorrow, and its duties and cares; but God said, "Be still."

And as I listened, and slowly learned to obey, and shut my ears to every sound, I found after a while that when the other voices ceased, or I ceased to hear them, there was a still small voice in the depths of my being that began to speak with an inexpressible tenderness, power and comfort.

As I listened, it became to me the voice of prayer, the voice of wisdom, the voice of duty, and I did not need to think so hard, or pray so hard, or trust so hard; but that "still small voice" of the Holy Spirit in my heart was God's prayer in my secret soul, was God's answer to all my questions, was God's life and strength for soul and body, and became the substance of all knowledge, and all prayer and all blessing: for it was the living GOD Himself as my life, my all.

It is thus that our spirit drinks in the life of our risen Lord, and we go forth to life's conflicts and duties like a flower that has drunk in, through the shades of night, the cool and crystal drops of dew. But as dew never falls on a stormy night, go the dews of His grace never come to the restless soul. --A. B. Simpson

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

WONDERFUL COUNSELOR

And he will be called

Wonderful Counselor.

Isaiah 9:6

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, I see your confused and hurting heart. You are facing a mountain of decisions, yet you feel paralyzed and helpless to act. I am always ready to counsel you, not with chiding words or accusing fingers but with arms of love. Rest in Me a while, and soon you will see the clouds disappear. I will put My thoughts within you to help you make wise choices. Trust Me today.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
Amid the hurt, joy, and unanswered questions, You are there with listening ears and compassionate eyes. With discerning thought and gentle affirmation, You speak directly to the issues of my life. No one but You knows how the patterns of my life fit together. Thank You, Lord, for always being there.

SIMPLE TRUTH

God is never the author of confusion. His counsel is 100 percent accurate.

Edges of His Ways, by Amy Carmichael, January 5

Isa. 64. 5: Thou meetest Him that rejoiceth and worketh righteousness, those that remember Thee in Thy ways....in those is continuance.

Three conditions, two assurances. If only we will be happy, work, and remember our loving Father, He will meet us in His ways, and those ways will not end in a blank wall, a precipice, darkness; in those (ways) is continuance.

This word has strengthened me afresh. Many things end--hopes, plans, powers-- but not the eternal leadings of the Lord our God. The path leads on through plain and valley and forest, up to the heights. The way is like the sunlit patch on the sea at dawn. It "shineth more and more unto the perfect day." (Proverbs 4. 18 ) And then?

January 5
MORNING We which have believed do enter into rest.

They weary themselves to commit iniquity. — I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. — Being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ: by whom also we have access by faith into this grace wherein we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.

He that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works. — Not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith. — This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing.

HEB. 4:3. Jer. 9:5. -Rom. 7:23,24. Matt. 11:28. Rom. 5:1,2. Heb. 4:10. -Phi. 3:9. Isa. 28:12.

EVENING
Set a watch, O Lord, before my mouth; keep the door of my lips.

If thou, LORD, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand? — They provoked his spirit, so that he spake unadvisedly with his lips.

Not that which goeth into the mouth defileth a man; but that which cometh out of the mouth, this defileth a man.

A whisperer separateth chief friends. — There is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health. The lip of truth shall be established for ever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment. — The tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Put off... anger, wrath, malice, blasphemy, filthy communication out of your mouth. Lie not one to another, seeing that ye have put off the old man with his deeds. — This is the will of God, even your sanctiflcation. — In their mouth was found no guile.

PSA. 141:3. Psa. 130:3. -Psa. 106:33. Matt. 15.11. Prov. 16:28. Prov. 12:18,19. Jas. 3:8,10. Col. 3:8,9. -I Thes. 4:3. -Rev. 14:5.

Thank you Phil and Sharon for posting... I don't come here every day, but always feel comforted when I do.

January 6
MORNING
Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us: and establish thou the work of our hands.

Thy renown went forth among the heathen for thy beauty: for it was perfect through my comeliness, which I had put upon thee, saith the Lord GOD. — We all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord, are changed into the same image from glory to glory, even as by the Spirit of the Lord. — The Spirit of glory and of God resteth upon us.

Blessed is every one that feareth the LORD; that walketh in his ways. For thou shalt eat the labour of thine hands: happy shalt thou be, and it shall be well with thee. — Commit thy works unto the LORD, and thy thoughts shall be established.

Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure. — Our Lord Jesus Christ himself, and God, even our Father, which hath loved us, and hath given us everlasting consolation and good hope through grace, comfort your hearts, and stablish you in every good word and work.

PSA. 90:17. Ezek. 16:14. -II Cor.3:18. -I Pet. 4:14. Psa. 128:1,2. -Prov. 16:3. Phi. 2:12,13. II Thes. 2:16,17.

EVENING
The apostles gathered themselves together unto Jesus, and told him all things they had done.

There is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother. — The LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. — Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you. Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.

When ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants.

Ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
In every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. — The prayer of the upright is his delight.

MARK 6:30. Prov. 18:24. Exo. 33:11. John 15:14,15. Luke 17:10. Rom. 8:15. Phi. 4:6. Prov. 15:8.

Step Out Boldly

"When thou goest, thy way shall be opened up before thee step by step" (Proverbs 4:12, free translation).

The Lord never builds a bridge of faith except under the feet of the faith-filled traveler. If He builds the bridge a rod ahead, it would not be a bridge of faith. That which is of sight is not of faith.

There is a self-opening gate which is sometimes used in country roads. It stands fast and firm across the road as a traveler approaches it. If he stops before he gets to it, it will not open. But if he will drive right at it, his wagon wheels press the springs below the roadway, and the gate swings back to let him through. He must push right on at the closed gate, or it will continue to be closed.

This illustrates the way to pass every barrier on the road of duty. Whether it is a river, a gate, or a mountain, all the child of Jesus has to do is to go for it. If it is a river, it will dry up when you put your feet in its waters. If it is a gate, it will fly open when you are near enough to it, and are still pushing on. If it is a mountain, it will be lifted up and cast into a sea when you come squarely up, without flinching, to where you thought it was.

Is there a great barrier across your path of duty just now? Just go for it, in the name of the Lord, and it won't be there. --Henry Clay Trumbull

We sit and weep in vain. The voice of the Almighty said, "Up and onward forevermore." Let us move on and step out boldly, though it be into the night, and we can scarcely see the way. The path will open, as we progress, like the trail through the forest, or the Alpine pass, which discloses but a few rods of its length from any single point of view. Press on! If necessary, we will find even the pillar of cloud and fire to mark our journey through the wilderness. There are guides and wayside inns along the road. We will find food, clothes and friends at every stage of the journey, and as Rutherford so quaintly says: "However matters go, the worst will be a tired traveler and a joyful and sweet welcome home."

I'm going by the upper road, for that still holds the sun, I'm climbing through night's pastures where the starry rivers run:

If you should think to seek me in my old dark abode, You'll find this writing on the door, "He's on the Upper Road." --Selected

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

COMPASSION

His compassions never fail.

They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Lamentations 3:22-23

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, are you struggling with failure? My compassion has no end. While I will not compromise My plan for obedience, I am not deaf to your cries for help. What you see as the point of no return, I see as the possibility of a new beginning. I have no desire to destroy you or My dreams for you. Like a father loves his child, I, too, love you. Rest in Me daily, and let Me demonstrate My love and compassion to you.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
No matter what I did yesterday, You stand before me each new morning with outstretched arms, inviting me to start over. You see me not as I was, but as I am becoming. Your compassion overwhelms me and draws me even closer to You, Lord.

SIMPLE TRUTH

God's plan is never destruction, only restoration

Weekly Verse

“All his laws are before me; I have not turned away from his decrees.” - Psalm 18:22Weekly Quote

Weekly Quote

“For some years now I have read through the Bible twice every year.
If you picture the Bible to be a mighty tree and every word a little branch,
I have shaken every one of these branches because I wanted to know
what it was and what it meant.” - Martin Luther

Weekly Thought

Every Bible reader has a favorite verse or book, one he or she returns to often for comfort and wisdom. But as wonderful as those familiar favorites can be, there are countless other precious gems in Scripture waiting to be discovered. The only way to find them is to read what we've never read before. That's why a Bible reading plan can be such a valuable tool for spiritual growth.

Your Bible may have a reading plan near the front that will direct you to finish the whole Bible in one year. If not, there are plenty of other ways to read a wider range of Scripture than you ever have before. Do an Internet search for reading plans; some sites offer plans you can even check off as you go along. Consider Bible software or even a program for your smart phone that can provide you with a passage of Scripture every day. Select an unfamiliar book of the Bible each month and read through it with a friend. Whatever method or plan you use, ask God to help you grow in love for His Word.

God, thank You for speaking to me through the Bible. Help me to grow more and more familiar with it. Amen.

Edges of His Ways, by Amy Carmichael,

January 6

Psalm 31.19 (Rotherham): How great is Thy goodness which Thou hast hidden away for them who revere Thee.We do not see it all now, it is hidden away, kept for a surprise of love.

"He hath made wonderful His lovingkindness to me in a fortified city." (vs. 20,21) What is my city today? What are my circumstances? Just where I am He waits to make His loving kindness wonderful to me.

Whoso hath known that comforting,
The inward touch that maketh whole,
How can he ever choose but sing
To Thee, O Lover of his soul?

Today's Daily Light verses from the Scriptures warrant much protracted, earnest meditation. In them is found much insight and comfort.
-Phil

January 7
MORNING
Think upon me, my God, for good.

Thus saith the LORD; I remember thee, the kindness of thy youth, the love of thine espousals, when thou wentest after me in the wilderness. — I will remember my covenant with thee in the days of thy youth, and I will establish unto thee an everlasting covenant. — I will visit you, and perform my good word toward you. — For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end.

As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts. — I would seek unto God, and unto God would I commit my cause: which doeth great things and unsearchable; marvelous things without number. — Many, O LORD my God, are thy wonderful works which thou hast done, and thy thoughts which are to us ward: they cannot be reckoned up in order unto thee: if I would declare and speak of them they are more than can be numbered.

NEH. 5:19. Jer. 2:2. Ezek. 16:60. Jer. 29:10. -Jer. 29:11. Isa. 55:9. Job. 5:8,9. Psa. 40:5.

EVENING
I will not fail thee, nor forsake thee.

There failed not ought of any good thing which the LORD had spoken unto the house of Israel; all came to pass. — God is not a man, that he should lie; neither the son of man, that he should repent: hath he said, and shall he not do it? or hath he spoken, and shall he not make it good?

The LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him. — He will ever be mindful of his covenant.

Can a woman forget her sucking child, that she should not have compassion on the son of her womb? yea, they may forget, yet will I not forget thee. Behold, I have graven thee upon the palms of my hands.

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.

JOSH. 1:5. Josh. 21:45. -Num. 23:19. Deut. 7:9. Psa. 1l1:5. Isa. 49:15,16. Zeph. 3:17.

HELEN, THANKS FOR COMING ROUND~!

Master Plowman

"Doth the plowman plow all day to sow?" (Isa. 28:24).

One day in early summer I walked past a beautiful meadow. The grass was as soft and thick and fine as an immense green Oriental rug. In one corner stood a fine old tree, a sanctuary for numberless wild birds; the crisp, sweet air was full of their happy songs. Two cows lay in the shade, the very picture of content.

Down by the roadside the saucy dandelion mingled his gold with the royal purple of the wild violet.

I leaned against the fence for a long time, feasting my hungry eyes, and thinking in my soul that God never made a fairer spot than my lovely meadow.

The next day I passed that way again, and lo! the hand of the despoiler had been there. A plowman and his great plow, now standing idle in the furrow, had in a day wrought a terrible havoc. Instead of the green grass there was turned up to view the ugly, bare, brown earth; instead of the singing birds there were only a few hens industriously scratching for worms. Gone were the dandelion and the pretty violet. I said in my grief, "How could any one spoil a thing so fair?"

Then my eyes were opened by some unseen hand, and I saw a vision, a vision of a field of ripe corn ready for the harvest. I could see the giant, heavily laden stalks in the autumn sun; I could almost hear the music of the wind as it would sweep across the golden tassels. And before I was aware, the brown earth took on a splendor it had not had the day before.

Oh, that we might always catch the vision of an abundant harvest, when the great Master Plowman comes, as He often does, and furrows through our very souls, uprooting and turning under that which we thought most fair, and leaving for our tortured gaze only the bare and the unbeautiful. --Selected

Why should I start at the plough of my Lord, that maketh the deep furrows on my soul? I know He is no idle husbandman, He purposeth a crop. --Samuel Rutherford

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DAILY IN YOUR PRESENCE

REFUGE

God is our refuge and strength,

an ever-present help in trouble.

Psalm 46:1

FROM THE FATHER'S HEART
My child, sit down in the boat. Don't look at the billowing waves or the sea spewing its anger in all directions. I made the wind and the sea; they listen and obey My voice. I walk on the clouds, and they thunder their praise. I blink My eyes, and lightning reflects My power. I hold out My hand, and the storms are stilled. So, take My hand, sit down, and relax. Do you think the God who knows the number of hairs on your head will abandon you in your greatest hour of need? Be still, My child. You are safe with Me.

A GRATEFUL RESPONSE
When the storms rage around me, I can always run to You and rest, Lord. In turbulent times, in trials and temptations, in weakness or in fear, You are my strength, and Your hiding place is secure. Bless You, Lord, for being my refuge.

SIMPLE TRUTH

If God does not rescue us immediately, it is only because He has a greater purpose in mind. He will still give us peace in the center of our storms.

The Edges of His Ways by Amy Carmichael

Jan 7

Psalm 45: A Song concerning the Beloved. (title given in the Septuagint)
Psalm 40:17 The Lord thinketh upon me. The Lord will take care of me.

Two dear and lovely things from my Quiet Time this morning: “ A Song concerning the Beloved”; “The Lord will take care of me.”

We have many songs concerning our Beloved; we often sing them, and listen to them being sung. All such songs were written in the Heavenly places where we “sit” when we are nearest to our Lord. In no other place can a trued song concerning the Beloved be written. In no other place can it be truly sung of Him or truly song to Him. It is a Heavenly thing from beginning to end. That is why to sing it, or to hear it sung, is the joy and the rejoicing of our heart.

But sometimes such a joy is penetrated by a question like a spearpoint. “It is so today, but what of tomorrow? What if I, who have sung a song concerning the Beloved, fail Him in the end? This is the answer, be sure and blessed answer to the tempter who, always if he can, interrupts the sweetness of our songs: “The Lord thinketh upon me”—“The Lord will take care of me,” even of me. Is that enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back