Diagnosis
08/2010
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Seattle
Hello folks, when I read this it kind of gave me a key to happiness, this staying in the moment and praising God for what we have rather than letting our attitude drift to "what could have been"...I hope you find it hopeful. And we could post here the things we are appreciative of TODAY. (but this is not to say that are not very tough times for pals/cals, but for the most part they do pass...)

How to Be Happy Anytime

Post written by Leo Babauta.

My friend Barron recently asked, “If you could be anywhere right now, doing anything you want, where would you be? And what would you be doing?”

And my answer was, “I’m always where I want to be, doing what I want to be doing.”

I’ve notice that in the past, like many people, I was always wishing I was doing something different, thinking about what I would do in the future, making plans for my life to come, reading (with jealousy) about cool things other people were doing.

It’s a fool’s game.

Many of us do this, but if you get into the mindset of thinking about what you *could* be doing, you’ll never be happy doing what you actually *are* doing. You’ll compare what you’re doing with what other people (on Facebook and Twitter, perhaps?) are doing. You’ll wish your life were better. You’ll never be satisfied, because there’s *always* something better to do.

Instead, I’ve adopted the mindset that whatever I’m doing right now is perfect. If I’m writing a post, that’s amazing. If I’m reading blog posts on the Internet, that’s interesting. If I’m doing nothing but hanging out with my family, that’s incredible. If I’m walking outside, enjoying the fresh air, that’s beautiful.

There’s nothing I’m ever doing that isn’t the most incredible thing on Earth. If I’m doing something sucky (I can’t remember doing that recently), maybe that’s an invaluable life lesson. If I’m with someone boring or obnoxious, it’s a lesson in patience, or empathy, or in learning to understand people better.

The Now Mindset, In Practice

Let’s say you’re washing the dishes. Wouldn’t you rather be having a delicious meal instead, or talking with your best friend? Sure, those things are great, but they’re only better if you believe they’re better, and more importantly, the comparison is totally unnecessary. Why should you compare what you’re doing now (washing dishes) with anything else? Wouldn’t almost anything lose out if you compare it to something you like more? Will you ever be happy with what you’re doing if you always compare it with something you like more?

Washing dishes can be as great as anything else, if you decide to see it that way. You’re in solitude, which is a beautiful thing. If you do it mindfully, washing dishes can be pleasant as you feel the suds and water in your hands, pay attention to the dish and its texture, notice your breathing and thoughts. It’s meditation, it’s quiet, it’s lovely.

You can say the same of anything. Driving to work? Enjoy the solitude, the chance to be alone with your thoughts, or to listen to music you love, to see the world around you. In a meeting with co-workers? Pay attention to how people talk and interact, learn about the human mind, see yourself in everyone around you, learn to love anyone no matter who they are, practice giving up expectations of who people should be or what this meeting should be like.

I’m always happy with what I’m doing, because I don’t compare it to anything else, and instead pay close attention to the activity itself. I’m always happy with whoever I’m with, because I learn to see the perfection in every person. I’m always happy with where I am, because there’s no place on Earth that’s not a miracle.

Life will suck if you are always wishing you’re doing something else. Life will rock if you realize you’re already doing the best thing ever.

Thank you for sharing!

Ok Folks, I started a new thread for happiness now....because they had locked the old one. I sure hope you can find this. The moderators should post on each thread why they are closing and where to find the threads.....I think they have moved many to Off Topic but I dont know where to find that!

Thank you Sequoia. As always you posted another lesson that anyone can use. I'm so grateful to you for sharing something tat all of us can take to heart as we deal with our new lives with ALS.

Love you Deb! Hope others can find this thread....as the other one was closed. The moderators should post a last post on the threads they are closing and say to start another one...Oh well, a little panic in our lives can awaken us too!

“When you find peace within yourself, you become the kind of person who can live at peace with others..."" Mahatma Ghandi

Woke up to a sunny day. Plan to go to beach today. Doug found a board walk I can go on with my pwc. He just asked me question. Notice that all rock band lead singers have high voices? Why? Questions like that drive me nuts.

So glad that this thread is continuing, it has given me so much inspiration and joy! Thank you and God bless!

I'm thrilled I got to take my pwc on the beach. It's firm because it's made up compressed crushed shells here. I just stayed in my chair reclined with my legs up. I closed my eyes and listened to the waves coming in to shore and the sounds of kids playing. I am so blessed!

I'm happy for having had a wonderful visit of a few days with my daughter's best friend from NY. I'm tickled that we had an opportunity to have a short visit with our friend's cousin and his wife and new baby.
I'm grateful for KK's boyfriend ordering take-out Chinese (from Baltimore) for us here in GA after a long and upsetting day. Two wallets went missing from our handbags while dining out after our Trial visit and we didn't discover the theft until we were almost home. We still can't figure out how they were taken.
I'm happy that we had our i-phones to look up information and report the stolen cards while on the road.
I'm also grateful for Deputy Scott's kindness and being able to file the police report over the phone instead of making the 2 hour trip back to Augusta.

I'm happy that I received the news that my 9th grandbaby is due to arrive sometime in August! I love being a Mimi!

Judy

So glad all of you found the new thread! It always lifts my heart up to hear of the good things in your lives.

I just spent a week with my sister here. It was wonderful. But she did cry at seeing how much i have progressed in the last year. I dont know which is worse: having ALS or watching someone you love go thru it...I suspect the latter is worse, because u feel so helpless...but we had a great time together sharing...we went out to lunch at Salty's a fancy restaurant right on the water....they have the best seafood chowder in the world! and a wonderful view of Seattle downtown across the water....my sister and I are so close, it is truely wonderful!

Words of Wisdom:

We all face adversity in our life. However, it's not the adversity, but how we react to it that will determine the joy and happiness in our life. During tough times, do we spend too much time feeling sorry for ourselves, or, can we, with gratitude...learn how to dance in the rain?
It almost sounds too simple to feel important, but one word...gratitude, can change your attitude, thus, your life, forever. Sarah Breathnach said it best...
"When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present....we experience heaven on earth."

HAVE A GREAT DAY EVERYBODY!

I hate not having the like button.....where do we contact the moderators so we can ask them to put it back!

Good Morning all! said goodbye to my sister yesterday....now we are texting back and forth. She is such a wonderful sister!

Here is a quote for your day: The greatest gift you can offer another is the awareness that they are loved, not because they are perfect, but because they exist. There lies the secret and the ointment for an ailing heart.

A warm sunny Fl day! Hello and a hug to everyone!

A cool, rainny saturday here, trying to stay warm.........aahchuuu!.....see, where did our nice warm weather go? Happy I can still talk with you all. {{{HUGS}}}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back