10/2008
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Alexandria
:evil:

Again , I have woken up to a racing heartbeat , sweating , breathing hard and fast, sitting up in bed.

Yes , another effin nightmare has visited me. Maybe , if I get it out , I will be done with it.

---------------------------------------
Buried Alive
No one can hear me scream
I cant scream, I cant move
No room
Its dark
---------------------------------------

I fear the locked-in syndrome, this is new to me.
I am claustrophobic, have been since I can remember.
I am scared of the dark. Bad scare when I was a kid.

OK , its out and realized.

Now piss off !

:evil:

glen.
we both share the same fear,i totally understand.
i too am very claustrophobic,not just confined places but also things like crowded places.
being buried alive is definatly one of my nightmares.

these are things that are very common to be frightened of but having a als diagnosed even more so.
my friend del (bulbar onset)could not move or talk before he died,i can not begin to understand how that felt.

i think your sub-conscious is playing nasty games and feeding from your fears.
i wish there was a easy remedy to help you,talking about it is a good start.
you know we are always here to listen:)

Glen, hard as it is, it is good to talk about fears. I too really am afraid of being locked in, not because of claustrophobia but more the fear of not being in control of anything, not even my own body. I think that there is at least a little benefit in the fact that we have time to adjust to what is happening to us. I can't imagine what it would be like to have something like a spinal cord injury and have instant paralysis.

I won't tell you about my caving adventures, that scares even me and would not be good for you or for your sleep. :wink:

Sweet dreams buddy!

I think in all honesty we are all afraid of that locked in with no control part of the desease. I have faith that I will be able to cope with this just like all other things in life. He only gives us what we can handle and with good Doctors and meds, I hope it will be tolerable for us all. Glen do you take an Ativan at night, maybe it could help the anxiety. sleep well. Beverley

Barry, I don't know if your caving stories are nightmares or true life, my caving true life experience was frightning but then I was only 15years old.

Beverly, when I was young and foolish I was introduced to mountaineering, scuba diving and caving by friends. We have a large cave, Cadomin Cave, about 40 minutes south of here and both Beth and I have explored very deep into it's depths a few times. And yes, we have had some adventures, I'll spare you the details but I will say that I was worried at least once I can remember.

Ok not funny, but funny. I first looked at the post and thought it said Eflin dream. So at least that can make you laugh a little. I have so many nightmares myself. I have always had vivid dreams, now they seem like they are worse. Glad you shared, maybe getting them out, gets them over with.

When I was a kid up to about 13 yr old I had what they called night terrors. I would get out of bed screaming and run all over the house and not remember a thing the next morning. My parents tried everything even slapping my face to get me out of it. Nothing seemed to work.
The things changed in my life and I give credit to God for prayer that brought me out of this living nightmare. I know that sounds lame to a lot of people. It just is what helped me. I had a vivid dream one night that i remembered that T-Rex was waiting by the side of the house to eat me when I left for school. I was in about the 5th grade. It seemed so real I ran to school in record time looking over my shoulder.
Dreams can do weird things to us all. I just pray for you that you can overcome these and find peace. We both are facing the locked in coming a whole lot sooner than we want. I there with you guy.

I seem to find myself constantly in the minority but I don't have any fear of being locked in.
With the technology available to us today this is a fear from the past. I also don't dwell on what the future might hold, I focus on today only as no one really knows what tomorrow might bring, so why worry about it? I try to plan for the future but not speculate on what it will be like. It is working so far.

Capt Al, our son had night terrors from when he was about 5 until he was about 12. It is not uncommon, almost always boys and they almost always stop when they are teenagers. Very scary both for the kid and the parents (and for more than one babysitter).

I think we all afraid of being in a body that is useless and our minds sharp? I pray every night that I will be taken by this before I can't take care of myself. This is on my mind every day. It's there even if I don't say a word about it. This is a living nightmare...It's also knowing that we are on a journey that we have no control over... Yes we can get the machines to help and thank goodness for that... I just hope God knows I can't take being alive in a not so live body....

Joel, we all know you well enough by now to know that nothing or no one will be able to lock you in. Stay strong for all of us my friend. :D

I don't have a problem with confined spaces - too much time aboard ship. Ever see the sleeping quarters for seafarers? Bunkies stacked 3 high with just enough room to slip in and out (less if you're a real fatty!).

The thought of losing all mobility does not excite me at all and could very well be a realization down the road a piece. So, I don't think about it on a regular basis. I'm having a little more difficulty with my legs and arms but I'm pushing through. After all, its only PLS (and I even doubt that - probably just a lingering case of some weird pox).

In former days, I would perform an occassional exorcism or two. I saw things in Panama that could have come right out of a movie. Anyway, my sleep was sometimes interrupted by things I could not see but feel, for sure. Stupid spooks!

Zaphoon

mine is not a nightmare but true. my son lost it one day and he rolled me into a closet and left. at first all i could do was cry. it finally got dark and i guess i doze off. i awoke by voices so i started making noises. the next thing i see is a policeman fleshing a light at my face. he realize i couldnt talk and took me to the kitchen where it was surrounded by fireman. talk about being helpless, i was more scare for my son then for myself.

Glen, I started having night terror dreams a couple years ago (before diagnosed). They were ghastly, mainly of my husband being tortured, and I was unable to get to him because of traffic and wrong way turns. I would wake up like that. What scared me most was that I was unable to get my heart to stop racing for so long. It would go on 15 minutes or more, pounding in my ears, and thumping in my chest, so that it almost rocked my body.

In the hospital for respiritory failure in 2007, they gave me Xanax before bedtime, and the nightmares happened, but without the terrible physical reaction. I still take it ... I am more afraid of the physical terrors than the nightmares. I occasionally have bad nightmares still, but without the waking up with heart racing, etc.

It may not be for everybody, but I consider it my essential med.

I think the fear of "locked-in" syndrome is very common. Glad you don't experience it, Joel. You are amazing!

Olly ... just like Del, my worst fear is being abandoned without any capability of movement or communication in a U.S. nursing home. That dictates all my end-of-life decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back