Diagnosis
07/2017
Country
US
State
OR
City
Southern Oregon
Perhaps this is a tale of poetic justice. You can decide.

So as a followup to a previous thread ....
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/rants-raves/43805-handicapped-parking-spots-new-post.html

Today I’m out for a haircut, still able to drive the van myself and transfer into the pwc, enjoying that last bit of independence. I find the perfect van accessible spot in a parking lot about a block away. The spot has the usual hatch marks to the right to allow space to deploy the ramp. The spot was also on the end of the row, with no other parking spot on the other side of the hatch marks.

I return after the haircut to find a Prius illegally parked in the hatch marks right next to my van, leaving me no room to access the ramp. I’m trapped!

After a moment of panic, I call the local police. They will send someone right over. Meanwhile, another van sees my plight and pulls into the parking lot. It’s my buddy Mike who uses a pwc for another motor neuron disease, with his wife Susan driving their van. They deliberately block in the Prius and wait with me until the policeman arrives.

After the police arrives and slaps the Prius with a ticket and $400 fine, Susan is able to pull my van out enough so I could use the ramp to get in and drive off. I really lucked out that they showed up when they did!

Funny thing is, I’ve seen that Prius around town parked in “van only” spots. Maybe now she’ll learn? Anyway, makes for a good story.

I feel your pain. It is one thing to find he van accessible spot you need occupied by a non-handicap vehicle.

It is an entirely different thing to park, go wherever, and then come back to find a non-handicap vehicle blocking access to your van's ramp.

I have sure had it happen. I keep the police non-emergency number ready to go in my phone. They appreciate the phone call. I think they really do care, but also like the revenue.

Steve

Wow....but what luck to have your friend pull up right when you needed help.

Definitely justice! Sorry you had to go through that but so happy you got them. Kate

I once pulled up to a doctor's office and a van from a handicapped transportation service was parked in the striped area next to the only van accessible space! And the driver was nowhere to be found. I drive the van for my PALS, so I got got him in to his appointment OK, but on our way out, the driver had returned, but was just sitting in his van, still illegally parked. Boy did he get it with both barrels from me! Didn't apologize, but he did move. Made some lame excuse. I got the number on the van to call the company, but DH asked me to give the guy a break. Grrr...

I wouldn’t have given him a break. He should know better.

Karen - I feel your pain. Finding a spot to park for DH was always a pain. The worst was clinic visits. The hospital parking garage was too limited on handicap spots. Our solution was to park on the end of a row where it turned a bend, so no one could park next to us. It wasn’t a van spot, so it worked.

I’m happy though the Prius driver got a nice fine.

Jrzygrl - I would have definitely called the company, outside where DH could not hear me. However, my DH would probably been more on the war path than yours.

Yeah for thr $400 fine!!!!!
There is justice in this world. ;)
Cathy

Justice!!

We used to carry an orange traffic cone so that we could create a van accessible spot if we needed to. Just grab the cone from the back of the van and put it in the spot next to the one we parked in. Fortunately, no one ever moved our cone. While Matt was driving himself having him parked out was one of my greatest fears.

Becky, that reminds me of a scene from an old George Burns movie where the old man (played by George Burns) places orange cones on each side of his car.

Yesterday we went to the dispensary to get DH his MMJ. It was crowded. They don't have enough parking. I was getting ready to just pull over and get DH out and go find somewhere (oh, God please don't make me have to parallel park this monster on a small street) when the person occupying the van accessible spot came out. I waited and got that spot. Whew! My lucky day., right?

Go in, get his MMJ, only to come out and find someone, with a handicapped hang tag, parked partially on the striped area. Ugh. Again, I'm getting ready to pull the van out and block the already crazy parking lot, when the driver comes out. I calmly got out, walked over to her, and asked her if she could move so I could get DH in the van (she was busily talking to someone on her cell phone). I explained what the stripes were for to which she responded that she didnt know. Proceeds to turn the key, and guess what - her car won't start. She keeps telling me to wait, it will start soon. After 5-10 minutes of this, I just pulled the van out and got DH in. She was still talking on her cell and trying to get the car started when I had DH in, bucked up and on our way. That car was NOT starting. I'm guessing she needed tow.

Luckily, I drive and could pull the van out. What if the person driving was the one in the chair, like Karen? I wish the striped area was marked with a written warning not to park there. Of course, there will always be idiots...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back