Old 05-13-2017, 12:37 PM #1 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Clearwater AL has a spectacular aura aboutClearwater AL has a spectacular aura aboutClearwater AL has a spectacular aura about
Very Helpful Member
Clearwater AL has a spectacular aura aboutClearwater AL has a spectacular aura aboutClearwater AL has a spectacular aura about
Default Billing to the penny

I paid my ATT phone bill the end of last month. I few days ago I got another billing envelope. I thought it must be for next months billing early but I opened it anyway.
It was the usual three page billing statement but a "must pay" statement. The billing request was for... one cent. One penny. $.01... One Lincoln. No kidding.

So, I'm going to send it to them taped in the middle of the page with a piece of heavy duty shipping tape over it... so they don't turn our phones off. (I still pay bills by check, comes with my age I guess.)

The disturbing part is... I got to put a $.43 cent stamp on the envelope.
Old 05-13-2017, 02:34 PM #2 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Orlando
State: Florida
Diagnosed: 12/2010
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Atsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant futureAtsugi has a brilliant future
Default Re: Billing to the penny

That is just way too funny.
Old 05-13-2017, 05:24 PM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

$.43 cent stamp??? We pay $1 to post a single letter and guess what, we don't even have either a 1c or 2c coin to tape to anything. Our smallest coin is 5c

How did you manage to underpay them by 1c anyway???
Old 05-13-2017, 06:52 PM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Tillie, I'm still trying to figure it out...we upgraded our phones and it was supposed to be free. The monthly payment remained the same. I could just call or text them but I thought I'd have some fun with it costing me 44 cents.

I'm sure the billing was computer generated. I doubt a human being processed that bill. But...when they get that penny taped to the bill it might get some IT persons attention.

There was a movement here a few years ago to drop our penny but retailers went nuts because they like $1.99 - $9.99 and $199.99 better than $1.95 - $9.95 - $199.95.

Guess all those 4 cent losses would have plundered their profits.
Old 05-14-2017, 12:06 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

The US military doesn't even use pennies in their facilities overseas. They just round up or down to the nearest nickel.
Old 05-14-2017, 04:43 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Al how do you like this one then - a shop can advertise the price for something is $19.99 and you take it to the counter with cash in your hand and they charge you $20 because of course they can't make the change!!!

BUT - if you pay electronically with a card, then they charge you $19.99

It's all madness
Old 05-14-2017, 08:19 AM #7 (permalink)

City: Oakville
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the rough
City: Oakville
Diagnosed: 05/2014
Firefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the roughFirefighter58 is a jewel in the rough

In Canada we don't have pennies anymore so we round it off to the nearest nickel, so Al that would mean your bill would be $0. In Canada. You know that place north of Trumpville.
Al
Old 05-14-2017, 12:26 PM #8 (permalink)

City: Kitchener
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is on a very distinguished roadAngiegal is on a very distinguished road
City: Kitchener
Diagnosed: 09/2015
Angiegal is on a very distinguished roadAngiegal is on a very distinguished road

Al's right, but pennies do exist, electronically. Same as in Australia. With cash, it either rounds up or down to the nickel, but e-pay is "to the cent". Lol. 10 years from now will any kid understand "adding their 2 cents worth"?

Angie
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 PM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

I believe this retailing philosophy of displaying an item for $19.99 is wore out. Maybe there are still some that fall for it but when I see an item for $19.99 my brain automatically, within a nanosecond, kicks in with... "Twenty bucks!"

Maybe proof that it is wore out is that Dollar Stores sell their goods for a dollar. They don't call it the Ninety Nine Cent Store.

I like the Dollar Store... I call it "Power Shoppin". I can buy 18 items... $18 bucks!

Well... except having to give the State their penalty fee (tax) for doing my part to boost our economy.
Old 05-15-2017, 04:23 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the rough
City: Sandy Springs
State: Georgia
Diagnosed: 10/2010
frankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the roughfrankb is a jewel in the rough

- - - - same with gasoline in the U.S. - the price ALWAYS ends with a "9". However, I had rather save 15 to 20 cents on a fill up rather than donate it to the gas station ! ! - offhand, the only exception I can think of.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:33 AM #11 (permalink)

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of light

City: Minneapolis
State: MN
Diagnosed: 06/2016
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
Lkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of lightLkaibel is a glorious beacon of light

Oh this is funny. I am always learning here. Today thanks to Tillie I learned that postage is very expensive in Australia
Closed Thread

Tags
early