Old 12-05-2016, 07:32 PM #1 (permalink)

City: Boston
State: MA
Diagnosed: 09/2013
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
KateEmerson is a jewel in the roughKateEmerson is a jewel in the roughKateEmerson is a jewel in the rough
KateEmerson is a jewel in the roughKateEmerson is a jewel in the roughKateEmerson is a jewel in the rough
Default I give up

I have been on this forum for over 7 months now and I still can't figure out how a lot of things work. I have never been on a forum before this.(I admit, I was called a " technotard" by my colleagues at work.) After 3 months of reading only, I got my nerve up and made a comment on someone's post and found out I had been a " lurker" and was a " highjacker". Yikes! I didn't even know what these terms meant. Sooooo, is there someone I can ask the occasional " how to" to? I have wanted to do the " thank you" on so many posts I have read but cannot figure out how to do it? This forum has been an emotional God send to me, for 2 1/2 years I felt so alone and isolated. I had never spoken to anyone ( other than my husband who won't discuss it) who had ALS or was a caregiver. Thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge and deepest emotions, it has been so helpful to me. Would anyone mind telling me how I can say thank you? Hope I didn't get too wordy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KateEmerson For This Useful Post:
affected (12-06-2016), avnl (12-05-2016), frankb (05-15-2017), ShiftKicker (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:37 PM #2 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
Diagnosed: 10/2015
soonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to behold
Very Helpful Member
City: Cleveland
State: Oklahoma
Diagnosed: 10/2015
soonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to beholdsoonerwife is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: I give up

Ask questions anytime! To say thanks look in the bottom right corner of the post you want to say thanks on and click on it. You can only do like 7 before that thanks disappears for a time period. Not sure what the time period is for when it returns.

Last edited by soonerwife : 12-05-2016 at 07:39 PM Reason: word change
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-05-2016)
Old 12-05-2016, 07:47 PM #3 (permalink)

YEA !!! I found it ! Thank you !
Old 12-05-2016, 07:49 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Diagnosed: 04/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

Diagnosed: 04/2014
Nikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond reputeNikki J has a reputation beyond repute

By George you've got it Kate.! Btw just so everyone knows it is 5 thanks per 24 hour period
Thanks from
soonerwife (12-06-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:48 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Kate I just looked back through the last 10 or so posts you have made and cannot see any sign of hijacking. I am so sorry someone maybe privately contacted you and said those things?

You know how you started this thread? Don't give up - start threads of your own when you have a question. This is actually best as it allows us to concentrate on one thing to answer carefully and well.

I'm so glad you spoke up. I want to welcome you for a big forum hug and tell you to speak where you need as you need xxx
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-10-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 12:49 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Oh and Kate - don't you DARE give up!!!!
Old 12-06-2016, 07:39 AM #7 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Littleton
State: North Carolina
Diagnosed: 01/2014
Nuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud ofNuts has much to be proud of

Kate, ditto what's already been said. Please don't give up.

If someone was rude to you, I am so sorry. That's not acceptable. I think we ALL lurked for a time (reading without posting), and hijacking means you change the thread away from the original poster/intent. Starting our own thread is difficult for many at first, but it really does work best. We'd love to hear more from you, so stay with us!!!

Becky
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-10-2016)
Old 12-06-2016, 11:36 AM #8 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Clearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the rough
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2013
Clearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the roughClearwater AL is a jewel in the rough

Kate, be careful... a reply that immediately follows yours may not be directed to you but a reply further up the page. Many times people do not designate a previous post they are referring to right after you post something. I made that mistake and lit into someone only to find out they were not addressing their displeasure with my comments. But... I've had my share over the years that were directed to my comments. You'll get the hang of it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clearwater AL For This Useful Post:
KateEmerson (12-10-2016), scaredwifetx (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 09:59 PM #9 (permalink)

Thank you all for your responses and support. If you all knew me better you would know I never give up so my title was my emotional over reaction to my technological ineptitude . I had just figured out recently how to start a thread after months of trying and not being able to find the thank you button took me over the edge.
The person who told me about hijacking did it privately and nicely. I mentioned it to show my lack of knowledge and maybe to just remind people who have been on the forum awhile that some of us newbies may not have a clue how forums work.
But I cannot say enough good things about this forum and the people on it. When I can, I come to this forum multiple times a day. Since I can't leave my house most days, it makes me feel like I am going to the local coffee shop seeing and talking to people who care about each other.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KateEmerson For This Useful Post:
affected (12-07-2016), kamama (12-08-2016), pdcraig (02-22-2017), scaredwifetx (12-08-2016)
Old 12-07-2016, 11:35 PM #10 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

I felt the same - it was like meeting friends at a coffee shop in the middle of the night and having the place to ourselves (usually was at least very late at night for me!)

So glad you persisted xx
Old 12-08-2016, 12:39 AM #11 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Dallas
State: tx
Diagnosed: 07/2015
scaredwifetx has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member

The Coffee shop. Now that sounds nice. I will have a white chocolate mocha. It would be great to meet all of you in a coffee house but this is the next best thing.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:40 AM #12 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

Very Helpful Member

Hey Clearwater. I hit your thank you button. You didn't even have to pay me. lol
Old 12-10-2016, 12:06 PM #13 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud ofKimT has much to be proud of

Kate,
I'm very sorry if you, at any time, felt unwanted. When I first started posting here I was not yet diagnosed. I was very sensitive to anything anyone would say and almost left. So glad I didn't.

I'm glad you're now an "active" member of the forum. Post away!
Thanks from
KateEmerson (12-10-2016)
Old 12-11-2016, 12:04 PM #14 (permalink)

City: Kendenup
State: Wa
Diagnosed: 09/2014
Aussiemndcarer is on a very distinguished roadAussiemndcarer is on a very distinguished road

City: Kendenup
State: Wa
Diagnosed: 09/2014
Aussiemndcarer is on a very distinguished roadAussiemndcarer is on a very distinguished road

Oh Deb! I do so need to sit down at a coffee shop too. I would order a long black with a dash of....milk!
Must start a thread on this one!
Kate, I think that I'm a lurker here sometimes too! Often I just read posts to help me feel not so alone!
Thanks from
chally (01-02-2017)
Closed Thread

Tags
als, caregiver, helpful, hope, reading, wanted, work