Diagnosis
09/2013
Country
US
State
MA
City
Boston
I have been on this forum for over 7 months now and I still can't figure out how a lot of things work. I have never been on a forum before this.(I admit, I was called a " technotard" by my colleagues at work.) After 3 months of reading only, I got my nerve up and made a comment on someone's post and found out I had been a " lurker" and was a " highjacker". Yikes! I didn't even know what these terms meant. Sooooo, is there someone I can ask the occasional " how to" to? I have wanted to do the " thank you" on so many posts I have read but cannot figure out how to do it? This forum has been an emotional God send to me, for 2 1/2 years I felt so alone and isolated. I had never spoken to anyone ( other than my husband who won't discuss it) who had ALS or was a caregiver. Thank you to all of you for sharing your knowledge and deepest emotions, it has been so helpful to me. Would anyone mind telling me how I can say thank you? Hope I didn't get too wordy.

Ask questions anytime! To say thanks look in the bottom right corner of the post you want to say thanks on and click on it. You can only do like 7 before that thanks disappears for a time period. Not sure what the time period is for when it returns.

Last edited:
YEA !!! I found it ! Thank you !

By George you've got it Kate.! Btw just so everyone knows it is 5 thanks per 24 hour period

Kate I just looked back through the last 10 or so posts you have made and cannot see any sign of hijacking. I am so sorry someone maybe privately contacted you and said those things?

You know how you started this thread? Don't give up - start threads of your own when you have a question. This is actually best as it allows us to concentrate on one thing to answer carefully and well.

I'm so glad you spoke up. I want to welcome you for a big forum hug and tell you to speak where you need as you need xxx

Oh and Kate - don't you DARE give up!!!!

Kate, ditto what's already been said. Please don't give up.

If someone was rude to you, I am so sorry. That's not acceptable. I think we ALL lurked for a time (reading without posting), and hijacking means you change the thread away from the original poster/intent. Starting our own thread is difficult for many at first, but it really does work best. We'd love to hear more from you, so stay with us!!!

Becky

Kate, be careful... a reply that immediately follows yours may not be directed to you but a reply further up the page. Many times people do not designate a previous post they are referring to right after you post something. I made that mistake and lit into someone only to find out they were not addressing their displeasure with my comments. But... I've had my share over the years that were directed to my comments. :) You'll get the hang of it.

Thank you all for your responses and support. If you all knew me better you would know I never give up so my title was my emotional over reaction to my technological ineptitude . I had just figured out recently how to start a thread after months of trying and not being able to find the thank you button took me over the edge.
The person who told me about hijacking did it privately and nicely. I mentioned it to show my lack of knowledge and maybe to just remind people who have been on the forum awhile that some of us newbies may not have a clue how forums work.
But I cannot say enough good things about this forum and the people on it. When I can, I come to this forum multiple times a day. Since I can't leave my house most days, it makes me feel like I am going to the local coffee shop seeing and talking to people who care about each other.

I felt the same - it was like meeting friends at a coffee shop in the middle of the night and having the place to ourselves :) (usually was at least very late at night for me!)

So glad you persisted xx

The Coffee shop. Now that sounds nice. I will have a white chocolate mocha. It would be great to meet all of you in a coffee house but this is the next best thing.

Hey Clearwater. I hit your thank you button. You didn't even have to pay me. lol

Kate,
I'm very sorry if you, at any time, felt unwanted. When I first started posting here I was not yet diagnosed. I was very sensitive to anything anyone would say and almost left. So glad I didn't.

I'm glad you're now an "active" member of the forum. Post away!

Oh Deb! I do so need to sit down at a coffee shop too. I would order a long black with a dash of....milk!
Must start a thread on this one!
Kate, I think that I'm a lurker here sometimes too! Often I just read posts to help me feel not so alone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back