I told him if he did it again I'd take a picture...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuts

Extremely helpful member
Forum Supporter
Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
I'm SO SO SO tired of my darling husband turning his chair over. I mean I'm REALLY REALLY tired of it!!!

He did it again this morning, not paying attention. He drove too close to the edge of the driveway because he was watching the dog, and he wound up on the grass, head pointed downhill.

I keep telling him that I am NOT superwoman, no matter what he might think. These accidents not only exhaust him, they exhaust me mentally, physically, and emotionally. I used to feel good that I could get him up and moving again. Now I'm pissed that I have to do it.

To his credit, he talked me through using the lift (a manual one he found on Craigslist and keeps in the very detached garage) to right the chair without rolling it over him, and then I got him up and rolled the chair under him. Scoffing when he heard me grunt got his head chewed off.

Oh, by the way, we have to leave in 45 minutes to make the 90 minute drive to Duke for Clinic.

Ok, typing it out has disapated my anger, but now I just want to cry.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 475
Another view

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 456
I am really impressed that you were able to right the chair with the lift. You must be a pro using the hoyer! I'm glad that he wasn't hurt. I can really understand your frustration though. When my husband fell a few weeks ago while we were walking around the kitchen island using the walker for exercise, I told him about 10 minutes prior to the fall that he was getting tired and short of breath and we needed to stop. He doesn't listen to me and refused to stop, saying he was fine. I was really angry when he fell because he wouldn't listen to me.

Sharon

And his raised hands in 2nd photo look like he's innocently protesting "What did I do wrong??"

Mind your back Nuts, you'll be no help to him if you're hurt. Then he'll be rightly stuck - does that hit home with him?

Take care,
Ells.

Lots of thoughts on this one.
I'm really very, very sorry this happened. It was my greatest fear when Krissy was in the power chair. I actually widened the sidewalks just for this reason.
Fortunately, I see some humor in this otherwise frustrating (and worse) problem.
1) You actually took the time to take a photo! That's kind of hilarious. I hope he appreciated it.
2) I so wish I could have been there to help. Does he have an alarm system to call automatically when he needs help?
Thank you for your patience when he does this. It's a man thing to do.

Sharon, I've learned that the chair is easier to move than the hoyer, so I got the chair up first, then picked him up and drove the chair in under him. No way was I going to be able to move that thing in the grass.

Ells, he's usually very concerned about my back, but I really don't thing that he realizes how hard it is to maneuver him, and of course he's not thinking of that when he's watching the dog.

Mike, he had the whole #$#@!&! Width of the driveway!!! I'm calling the Gardner and arranging to have dirt dumped along the edge so there will be a slope off it, rather than a drop off. Maybe that will keep him from tipping.

The first two times I found him on the ground, once down a dirt ditch in a patch of poison ivy and once in the center of the street halfway down a hill, I was so upset I would have slapped anyone who suggested taking pictures first. His only complaint about the whole operation, however, was that I didn't take a picture. I'm so over it now that unless he's bleeding or unconscious I'm taking a picture. He has his cell phone in a pouch on the chair--I guess it needs to be hung around his neck.

Mike, I'm afraid I wasn't very patient this morning. We were supposed to be at the Duke Spine Center at 10 and argued about cancelling that appointment, knowing we were coming to clinic today afterwards!!!! I just keep telling myself that at least he's having adventures....

Becky

Oh dear, I'm so sorry Nuts.

Each time I see him flat on his back I am just so amazing that he can breathe. This is going to be a real issue if he keeps trying these adventures once he can't lay flat anymore, it will become highly dangerous.

I would truly feel like saying, well I'm calling the fire brigade to come get you when they can. Even with a hoist you are risking serious injury there.

OK yep there is some humour in it all, but I sure feel for your side of the equation too!

"His only complaint about the whole operation, however, was that I didn't take a picture...."

Yep. I understand that totally. He must have a great sense of humor. :)

"at least he's having adventures...."

I totally agree. In fact, that's all I really want out of life. :)

Geeze.........NUTZ....show some mercy for that helpless little man!
You should change your signature to-"BALLS....I am kicken ass and takin names".

Remind me to never piss you off!:twisted:

Nuts I am frusteated for you! I hope clinic went well and you gave him up. Maybe he needs driver training????

Last edited:
he obviously needs training wheels ....

Oh Lord, too funny! I'm reading your comments to him as he gets his blood drawn.

My favorite quote of this day..."Good Blow, Matt". You know that was the respiratory therapist. She also said it's measurable and it's official, he sucks.

More later....

Oh Mark, there's nothing little about that man, and I have been accused of being a ball buster, not that I would ever be that mean to my sweetie!!

Becky
Queen of Everything (unfortunately)

Yeah Nuts...I here you about the respiratory stuff. They will no longer test Steve. They feel it is too tiring and adds little.

I was accused of many things last week....none were nice. Steve totally confused the staff giving them different info which kept him in a day longer. I do like the inpt way, even though it is stressful because he gets a true eval by each person. They spend 60 to 90 minutes with him each. At clinic at USF he is lucky if he gets 10 to 15 minutes of anyone's time.

it is true. A picture is worth a thousand words.

lol alligator I think that picture has even created at least 1000 words here already ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back