Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaxEidswick

Legendary member
Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
08/2013
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Pinehurst
Great minds think like
You're a 19 year old kid.
You are critically wounded and dying in the jungle somewhere in the Central Highlands of Viet Nam .
It's November 11, 1967.
LZ (landin...g zone) X-ray.
Your unit is outnumbered 8-1 and the enemy fire is so intense from 100 yards away, that your CO (commanding officer) has ordered the MedEvac helicopters to stop coming in.
You're lying there, listening to the enemy machine guns and you know you're not getting out.
Your family is half way around the world, 12,000 miles away, and you'll never see them again.
As the world starts to fade in and out, you know this is the day.
Then - over the machine gun noise - you faintly hear that sound of a helicopter.
You look up to see a Huey coming in. But.. It doesn't seem real because no MedEvac markings are on it.
Captain Ed Freeman is coming in for you.
He's not MedEvac so it's not his job, but he heard the radio call and decided he's flying his Huey down into the machine gun fire anyway.
Even after the MedEvacs were ordered not to come. He's coming anyway.
And he drops it in and sits there in the machine gun fire, as they load 3 of you at a time on board.
Then he flies you up and out through the gunfire to the doctors and nurses and safety.
And, he kept coming back! 13 more times!
Until all the wounded were out. No one knew until the mission was over that the Captain had been hit 4 times in the legs and left arm.
He took 29 of you and your buddies out that day. Some would not have made it without the Captain and his Huey.
Medal of Honor Recipient, Captain Ed Freeman, United States Air Force, died last Wednesday at the age of 70, in Boise, Idaho.
May God Bless and Rest His Soul.
I bet you didn't hear about this hero's passing, but we've sure seen a whole bunch about the thug Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin,
The gov. shut down, "what difference does it make!?")
and the bickering of congress over Health & OBAMA CARE!
BUT NOTHING ABOUT THE PASSING OF
Medal of Honor Winner Captain Ed Freeman.

Thank you very much for sharing this with us!
Audrey

Thanks for telling that story Max. I graduated from Billings Senior High in 1968, and lost several classmates in Viet Nam. Your story made me cry--so many heroes out there that we know nothing about.

Thank you Max. So many men did not receive recognition for the bravery they exhibited in combat.

Thank you, Max. I'm grateful for such as Captain Ed Freeman. I'm also grateful for such as Max Eidswick.

Jim

Thanks Max. There's a tear in my eye, too. Back in those days, I hoped for duty in VN. Boy, was I young and dumb!

There's more information about Too Tall Ed Freeman on Wikipedia. He was portrayed in the movie about the Battle of Ia Drang called "We Were Soldiers" starring Mel Gibson. Freeman served on the front lines in three wars (just like my dad).

--Mike

I heard this story a few years back, I think they made a movie about him, or perhaps his story inspired a movie.
He was a true hero, that seldom comes along. It is a shame that media did not honor his passing.
This country has confused values, it is broken on many levels and is heading for demise IMO.
An example of courage is now given to people that mutilate the faces and bodies, to be something other than what god created them as.
We are now in a situation of loosing our freedom of speech, good people are being admonished for expressing their opinions. We are all about "kicking a dog" when he is already down.
Yup.....what Max posted is the tip of the iceberg, of what is wrong with our country.
rant over for now.

Thank you, Max. You just sent chills down the back of my head and spine! What an inspiration, and, yes, our people are honoring the wrong heros these days.

i seen the passing. it was sad to hare.

Thank you Max for posting that. It made me cry for his bravery. My pals Marine brother was with his squad on the side of a mountain in Cambodia at the very end of the war. Very low ceiling and they were surrounded and under intense fire. Maybe it was the same helicopter pilot who also disobeyed orders and flew in under a very low ceiling and saved them all! After he landed them all safely he took off before they could find out his name. Bless those amazing pilots!

Sherry

i too had a pilot in a copter pull me out wounded in the night in 69 vietnam. all copter pilots are heroes! chally

Great example Max.....about how much America has changed as the political mood of our Nation drifts away from conservative values.

Great example Max.....about how much America has changed as the political mood of our Nation drifts away from conservative values.

In one way, I always look forward to political discussions; I argue politics with others every day. But then I think that the relationships here are so supportive of each other--they need to be--that I'm glad we all keep the political talk here to nearly zero.

Veterans wishing to discuss politics should google "veterans politics forums." The first two websites are each dominated by liberal vets (imagine that) and conservative vets, respectively. Loads of fun and sometimes anger. See you there. Veterans only, please.

Nice to see a post from you Max. You were missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back