Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
OK, I know we've beat the DIHALSers to death, but REALLY?! Are these people serious, or are they playing with us? How do you know? I didn't understand before why people who were irritated with them even read those posts, but now I do. It's a sick compulsion to see just how ludicrious they can get. And then there's the fact that every now and then someone who is sincere really does have a good question or need a little direction, but my teeth are smaller on one side? Is it a test to see how long we'll be nice? Or the folks who just keep coming back "but I'm so scared" over and over after having been told that we have nothing for them. Is this the 21st Century equivelent of phone pranks (Is your refridgerator running? Why don't you catch it? etc)? Are they counting views? Maybe it's a contest to see how many responses or views they can get.

Yes, I know, the last thread closed and we settled down--so sue me :) Seriously, I do wonder if it's not just a game to see how long they can keep it going. Maybe we do need a pact that only two people answer the truely outrageous and the rest of us view it once and then never again. Oh, it's soooo tempting to see what Al will finally say :shock: Maybe we need a seperate thread where we paraphrase and make our snarky comments so their view count doesn't go up. Honestly---it's GOT to be a contest.

OK...I'm calmer. Please don't think I mean that we should ignore those who seem sincere, but after two posts it seems pretty clear who the #*$#&W!s are.

I know right.

And the worst is that it makes it hard to sift out the odd one that does need a bit of true advise and comfort, let alone the really rare one that just may well have ALS.

I've said it several times but I just accept that the members here will answer as they see fit and that's fair I guess, but...

I reckon:
- no more than 2 members answer any one thread
- if the thread goes 24 hours without another response from the OP then no one should continue to comment as it only encourages them back
- that once a member says, please don't come back, no member should post again on the thread, even if the OP starts questions again

but that's in a magical world ...

It has been suggested many times that it is often the same person coming back with the same sh it different name and thread. I agree that's very likely. There are many sad cases out there that will do the unthinkable far beyond the old phone prank days.

It could even be a sick test to see how many of us they can get stirred up and telling them off ...

good plan:

I reckon:
- no more than 2 members answer any one thread
- if the thread goes 24 hours without another response from the OP then no one should continue to comment as it only encourages them back
- that once a member says, please don't come back, no member should post again on the thread, even if the OP starts questions again

>It could even be a sick test

or a pdf questionnaire ...

that is a good plan. don't need dr dave in there hehe

I also think it's important that DIHALSers are not to chat and swap symptoms. I know Mike used to jump on them for that. Then there was one or two times that Nikki said it was OK to do this. To me, even though I understood kinda what Nikkii said, this just makes the boundary very unclear and I've noticed since then that no one says anything when they start to compare notes.

It's made me feel like I shouldn't say anything because I don't know what is what if sometimes it's ok.

For the most part nowadays I just read them and say nothing. Or I type what I think then do not submit it. I do feel that the least said there the better in most cases.

I don't think I said sure go ahead Tillie. The one time I sort of okayed it I said the comment was helpful and appropriate ( it was not symptom compare but informational accurate and brief) I qualified that by saying that the person who commented should not be hanging around as his concerns had been addressed and for his own health as well as that of the forum it was time to go.
If I have been saying it more I don't remember the circumstances
But sometimes if it is not looking like a big habit I would rather let it slide.

Nikki, should we just let you reprimand in there if it does look habit forming?

When I read those words I realised I kind of look at it the same way - ok just one comment, let's see if this continues, and so far in most cases lately it hasn't so I kind of forget it again.

Glad you didn't take it that I was saying anything against you, I find your ability as mod brilliant, it's not an easy task!

Tilile

I don't know Tillie. As long as people continue being polite ( I am proud of the restraint you all have showed and I do believe that it has not resulted in any out of control dihalsers so hope it will continue) and do not jump on the very first comments if you feel moved to remonstrate gently to comparers it is ok.
Civility and reasonableness is what I ask....

I absolutely refuse to respond to the DIHALSer in question, but I can assure everyone here that I have at least one body part that is over 1/4 inch larger than it's pair. Does anyone know of a maker of custom womens's undergarments who might bill my insurance?

It's so hard when one b u m cheek is larger than the other bwahahahahaha

Just hate floppy undies ...

Oh, I need to be slapped. I shouldn't have answered that DIHALS...Tillie was SO much nicer. Sometimes the fingers type faster than the brain works....sorry....

I laughed so hard when I posted and found we had been creating replies at the same time.

I have to work hard at 'being nice'! Probably took me twice as long to type mine as you took bwahahahaha

This morning a young girl started a new Thread... after wearing many out with her first one. I sat there (for once) with a loss for words. Or... I'm getting a better command of my self control. :)

I read the Thread word for word, went back and re-read the first Thread and replies, sat for a moment wondering if it was just her feeding her sick sense of humor. But... I kept getting a presence of sincerity in her writings. Whatever...

Wrote all that to write this... I wonder if this new techno world our young people are being brought up in is creating a generation of Face Book peer pressure cooked, anxiety ridden, stressed out, young hypochondriacs where the internet gives them a place to feed (stuff themselves) with TMI. Or... heartless young tormentors.

But... during my pondering Nikki closed the Thread. Maybe she knew I was coming. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back