Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
US
State
Washington
City
Bellingham
I walked across the street yesterday, like I do everyday, to get my mail and as I was wearing my slippers rather than my ankle-to-foot brace as I should have my left foot which suffers from drop-foot caught itself on a rock and I took a tumble onto my neighbor’s lawn. I wasn’t hurt but rather just a little stunned. But immediately I was very concerned as I had seemingly no way of getting up as my left hand/arm is basically useless and my right arm/hand weren’t strong enough to lift me up high enough to get my feet under me either. I ended up rolling over several feet to the nearest sidewalk leading up to my neighbor’s short porch steps where I was able to sit. I still couldn’t rise up to my feet as I couldn’t grab hold of anything on my right side (stronger side). So, I had to plop back down to the sidewalk and roll over to a lattice that covers their walkway which finally gave me something to grab hold of on my right side and I finally got on my feet. This all took about 20 mins. No one saw me laying on the lawn. One car drove by when I was sitting on the porch but they of course didn’t slow down. I was quite embarrassed about the whole thing! I really didn’t want my neighbor lady who I knew would be home soon for lunch having to help me get up. Sure enough I had just made it over to my walkway when she arrived so she never saw anything.

I decided after getting stuck on the lawn that I can’t let this happen again so I signed up for one of those 1st Alert services where I can get someone’s immediate attention for help which costs about $35 a month. I guess I could just make sure I have my track phone with me but this gives me more choices in case no one I know can respond. Most everyone I hang out with lives outside the immediate area including my fiance although we might be getting married in a month or so.

Ugh. Awful. Sadly, it happens. I have the alert system but forget to keep the button on my wrist. Watching the world go on around us sucks when we're hurting. How do you feel physically tonight? Falls rattle me good. Even the near falls can scare intensely. I m o v e m u c h slower lately in attempt to at least fall with less force. Bummer. Hopefully you won't hurt too badly these next couple of days.

music67 it's time for a chair. i hope you don't try to walk that again. i was doing about the same. im kind of a big guy jane couldn't get me up. she had to get a neighbor to help. i know i ant going to try that again.

Wondering Runner (Neighbor to the south!) - I now have a pysiatic (Spelling) ache going at times in my buttocks and upper thighs but I think this is from an earlier fall a few weeks ago as I was mowing my lawn that I forgot about until recently when I finally felt my body starting to gradually get out of alignment from not caring for it as the falls themselves didn't hurt. I'm heading back to the chiropractor on Monday although I had 2 adjustments this week already. My spine was all out of wack.

I'm like you now - moving quite slowly and deliberately nowadays - super paranoid!

ps - I'm still checking out the Genervon site & ClinicTrials.gov to see how we can volunteer for testing. My fiance saw one possibility yesterday at the Genervon site, I believe. Back later about that.
Hang in there yourself!

p.s.s. - I forgot to mention that I had my cane with me when I crossed the street but had set it aside to open the mailbox so I wasn't holding it when I fell. I've never actually fallen when I've been holding it.

Canes sometimes gave me a false sense of security. Nope, not good once overall strength and balance decliine. Last winter I fell hard on my face and tore my earlobe just by taking a step out of a taxi in London. Horrifyingly embarassing and scared the driver and a friend even more than myself. I am learning that lying still for a few moments is smart. At least if possible that is, to avoid more pain and stumbling while in that dazed high adrenaline state. Sticks really only go so far and ditto with a walker. I tripped ON my walker more than withut. Lawnmowing.Ha. I get it man. I do. Fell on my face again on my birthday no less just before a dinner party... trying to put the recycling wheelie bin away on the drive. I was certain what I was doing was cautious. Not enough. THe third bad fall was while alone on the deck and I fell cracking my head on a beam, blacked out and popped back up with blood all around. Nine staples later I took the hints and slowed down. This monkey learns slowly. Keep laughing if you can. THose charlie horse areason the tush HURT the second and third time around. Take it easy and chat later. Epsom salt baths help the pain for me. And rest more than normal.

I say this totally out of love and concern.

You need to only walk with a rolling walker or start using a wheelchair.

Music and Runner, please listen to Dav and Tillie. Oh, but you won't, will you? I say that because you both sound like my husband, who recently had a spinal fusion because of one or more falls that left his spine crushing his sciatic nerve. Trust me, you don't want to have to do that. By the way, he still takes chances and I've just finally accepted a twist on Max's mantra: it will be what it will be. ARGH! I understand the drive for independence--I really do get it--but you are smart guys and you know what the consequences can be. Get the chair and do donuts in the yard instead of rolling around in it!

My husband told me the chair was bad because life was at butt level. I promised him we could follow nicely toned ladies in spandex if that meant he would use it without a fight! He has taken me up on it a few times, lol. :)

Lol, Gooseberry. Eye level with the ladies posterior. Never thought of that " benefit "

My PALS has taken quite a few falls, the worst about 6 weeks ago when he took a header into a wall and landed on his nose which we're pretty sure he broke! We were entering a friends home where we'd been invited for dinner. He didn't lose consciousness but did have a concussion. His beautiful purple face lasted over a month as the bruises moved themselves around. He has instructed me not to touch him immediately and let him gather himself and feel for damage. Eventually we got him up, cleaned him up and he enjoyed the great dinner.! He loves his food. Later in the evening we went to the hospital when the vomiting started. It took about a week before his strength and balance came back after that one. He is unable to use a cane or a walker as he can't use those muscles, but he has found a walking stick helpful. He's almost full-time in his powerchair now.
Sherry

awesome i never thought of it like that dalvin.

butt level, i done lost my a.. over this als gooseberry

to you guys that thinks they can walk to the moon. more power to you. but there is a time to stop and think about it. what is it pride or staying alive long as you can. one fall is all it takes. hey i had to throw my pride right out the door. well jane did it for me i can't throw a dame thing.

Believe, I am taking ALL your advice seriously - especially since I don't have anyone here at my home to help me - yet (getting married soon, you know). I now realize the impact the falls have on me over time. I appreciate all your concern! I will look into some of these devices. I do know that using a wheelchair I probably wouldn't even make it to the mailbox.

You'd be surprised at what the pwc can do. I go all over my yard in mine and it's not level, all hill side. Permobil c300

That's the way my yard is - very uneven which contributed to my falling there. My ex-wife wouldn't even venture out on it!

The AFOs make a huge difference. I wear them all day but eagerly shed them come evening. But then I almost always trip when my left, worst, dropped-foot catches (on microscopic dust, I think).

As the rollator and pwc won't make it over your yard, might I suggest a set of hiking/walking sticks? AND your AFOs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back