Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Are there any DIHALS'ers out there in their 40s or 50s? Even 60s?

There's been a run of 21 year olds, 24 year olds, 30 year olds... but, I think one, a few Threads back, was pushing the envelope at 38! Oh wait, I think there was one a while back that was 42 (rare lately as ALS itself). (Wanna bet all those symptoms they freak about miraculously evaporate when the moment is right?)

And, the physical work out fanatics who are in near debilitating fear over a "twitch" after trail running, doing something (?) with sand bags, running up hills, doing dumb things with dumbbells, bench pressing a Buick only leaving them to be wound up as tight the first "E" string on a guitar now thinking they have the onset of ALS.

Anyway....

Where is some guy or gal, 52 years old, never saw the inside of gym, only curls grocery bags up onto the kitchen counter, the last time they ran was after one of the grandkids, bench pressing to them is ironing clothes, wouldn't have a clue that one leg looks just a little smaller than other, pretty sure the tingling/burning sensation in their feet was from sitting on the commode too long, twitching has gotta be drinking too much coffee but... one day trying to reach for something on the top shelf of the closet only one heel lifted or that gallon of milk in the refrigerator was too heavy to lift with their left arm.?

Maybe tomorrow that average person (but rare lately) will come to the DIHALS Forum curious... NOT "sooooo scared" or "ready to freak out" or "Help me please" and the ever famous, "I'm being treated for anxiety but this can't be anxiety.." then "God bless all."

But, until then...

was not smart enough to get Dr Googles advice....was 74 when symptoms appeared....DXed very quickly

I avoided looking at ALS symptoms; was so sure it couldn't happen to me, and too horrible to contemplate.

never could happen to me ... I never win anything!

Thought mine something else. Plus never would have gone on a forum to ask suffering people about it. Can't understand why they do

some here. why would they ?

I never looked at Dr. Google. I let the doctors do their thing.

Young people have grown up with the internet and it is such a huge part of their life. When I started visiting the forum I tended to be very sympathetic to those scared people. After two months I can say my patience is wearing thin. One just recently spent the whole message whining. I mean really whining. And then they get all apologetic. I know that they have issues and some people just don't have a clue when they ask everyone to name all their symptoms and how their disease started, but it is annoying.

I don't know why athletic people go online for help but I can maybe shed some light on why they freak out. Serious athletes have usually been training since they were kids. They are so attuned to their bodies that they will notice the slightest change. If they are competitive athletes, they have spent years training with trainers and physical therapists and are usually pretty knowledgeable about how things work. They will notice if one day they can't do something or if something is off. Also, some athletes identity and self esteem is very tied into their ability to perform. When they come on the forum saying they couldn't bench press as much as last week, to us it seems silly, but to them it is a crisis. However, with all of that knowledge, I would think they would be smart enough to know people on a forum won't be able to diagnose them.

LoveMyKids, and as you wrote, ("One just recently spent the whole message whining.")... in a single paragraph the size of a table place mat! :)

I have kids that are the same age as a lot of people complaining. I would pop my kids upside the head if they were that self-centered or whined like that. Oh well...maybe they don't have anyone to pop them upside the head and that's their real problem.

Someone told Chris they had a friend that had started slurring speech like him and it turned out to be MND. I googled it, freaked out, said no way are any of his symptoms like THAT!

I think going into total denial is far more common when it is actually ALS ...

I can't even read the DIHALS any more;;;;;what's up with people wanting us to speculate their mental and physical misgivings? When I first realized I might have an MND, I spent many nights on google and msn researching, and pretty much knew I had too many similar symptoms that lined up. That is when I searched out a Neurologist. I did not post on any of the MND websites prior to diagnosis.....never even crossed my mind.

>I can't even read the DIHALS any more

missing out on a lot of entertainment -- even saw Mike get pissed off :)

it's best for most to stay away from that section I think ... I'm not sure I find it entertaining, people either have serious mental health issues or are just f**kwits (oooh not sure if that's an aussie term or a worldwide one)

Sometimes I get a real gut feeling, then bam Nikki closes it saying multiple accounts ...

it's best for most to stay away from that section I think ... I'm not sure I find it entertaining, people either have serious mental health issues or are just f**kwits (oooh not sure if that's an aussie term or a worldwide one)

Sometimes I get a real gut feeling, then bam Nikki closes it saying multiple accounts ...

Tillie

I think I like the term "Fu(kwits"....I with incorporate in my daily verbalization!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back