Diagnosis
04/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Hull
I'm sick of hearing it. You know my voice is weak, if you're asking a question take the time to listen for the answer. Don't make me repeat myself.

I'm sick of hearing it. You know my voice is weak, if you're asking a question take the time to listen for the answer. Don't make me repeat myself.

Ditto that

:) I get pissed and just say 'never mind!'

Recently I had to go to Auto Zone for a new thermostat for my corvette...the clerk would not even listen to me, I had to repeat thermostat and corvette about 6 times.....almost walked out of the store. The clerk on the next register piped up and said "He needs a thermostat for a 1994 corvette". Some people just won't listen. I get frustrated and my voice gets worse when I have an AH like that in front of me.
I should have just knocked the SOB out....after all I have nothing to loose!

>Recently I had to go to Auto Zone for a new thermostat for my corvette

need new pics

>I get frustrated and my voice gets worse when I have an AH like that in front of me

now, now ... just like opinions, everyone has one :)

just to stand up for those of us that have to interpret for PALS, my husband says too much in one sentence and I tend to lose the end part (as well as more complex words in the middle). if he would just say the important word over, instead of the whole sentence I could put it all together! I know how frustrated you pals get and don't blame him, but it is so tough to figure out what you say sometimes!

>and I tend to lose the end part

I have had the problem w/ Sandy for just 21 days short of 36 years ...

So you're saying nothing new at your house? :)

Mhmm Hayden gets mad at me when I don't understand. Asked me if I was going fing deaf yesterday: (

I loose my 5hit when people ignore me and only speak with my wife.
So, I yell as loudly as I can "PENIS!"

Sadly, I'm not allowed to go with the family grocery shopping for a while.

Cheers,
Casey

>So, I yell as loudly as I can "PENIS!"

>Sadly, I'm not allowed to go with the family grocery shopping for a while

:)

There are 2 sides to the story.

Some people you try and talk to I know simply don't try, and that is so irritating they do need a slap.

However, as Chris speech deteriorated even I had a lot of trouble understanding him.
Barbie, same here, I tried to get him to speak with context or keyword first then just the words needed. But no he had to try to talk in long sentences with the context half way down and I would struggle severely. We did sometimes have some hilarious moments of interpretation being way off base, but it got more and more frustrating for him.

I can only say from that experience of mine - USE TECHNOLOGY. The energy for the PALS to have to try and speak something over and over is a waste of calories that could be better used. The frustration for both sides could be avoided or at least lessened. The conversation could be more detailed without having to repeat initial sentences just to get it started.

I agree that people speaking to the CALS can be awfully rude. But Chris quickly reached a point where he wanted people to look at him and speak to him, then he would turn to me and answer to me expecting me to interpret his words back - but NOT for them to speak to me, and never for me to add anything of my own thoughts or opinions.

That's where I feel the technology can give the PALS so much more independence back.

JMHO

I try to not frustrate my dad when we talk on the phone and say What too much. But, the problem isn't just his ALS. I unfortunately have a hearing problem and somethings I just can't make out. Hearing loss runs in my family so at some point I will be getting a hearing aid. Dad wears them now. It was a little funny when I was a teenager because dad refused to admit he couldn't hear. One time he thought I said something very vulgar to him and he was about to let me have it. But, my mom realized quickly that he misunderstood me and I had said something that rhymed with it instead. I was almost clobbered for nothing! lol Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back