Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
I know I should have posted this in the "Other" Forum but I didn't want to disturb Alone&Afraids beautiful thread.

Kinda funny and kinda sad how you realize certain things. With some friends a few days ago and one of them mentioned about going bowling. I liked the idea then quietly I realized to myself, "The three fingers on my right hand could not hold a 16lb bowling ball... or even a 10lb ball." Years ago I had a beautiful hook on my ball but it took a lot of lift of the two fingers to do it. Oh well, I can still play cards, Scrabble, Monopoly and Shuffle Board. But...I haven't seen a shuffle board in years. Guess because that was back in my bar hoppin' days. :)

PS For those not familiar with bowling... a "Hook" is when the ball goes down the alley, from the right side, it will break to the left just as it approaches the pins.

Last edited:
I know how you feel, we used to bowl as a family every Friday night. It was something we all enjoyed and could afford. Once I started having problems my guys didn't want to go anymore because I would have to sit and just watch. SIGH.

We play cards, and games but bowling was a lot of fun. My husband still bowls league. Things change and we move on.

I remember going bowling on a family vacation in Florida actually because it was storming. I was frustrated when I saw that my ball was headed for the gutter again. I was little and turned around and stomped my feet. There were people sitting behind us and they had big grins on their faces. Which annoyed me even more. Then they all started pointing to the lane and said "Look!" I actually got a strike! The ball was even have in the gutter when it decided to hook. It was really something to see.
I have always been a terrible bowler but alway enjoyed going. But, it sure is expensive to go anymore. We used to go quite off but now only once or twice a year.

Al,

So odd when you have that moment of pause and then the realization that things have changed. I can't say you get used to it because it still happens to me. But you can usually find a way to still enjoy the things that you can no longer do. I went with my family while they bowled and still had a great time. A friend who can no longer hike was pulled in a wagon-type contraption down easy trails by her husband (she's obviously rather small!). Find what works for you and keep enjoying things.

I wish the "like" button still existed!

First, My heart goes out to young people (under 50 - I'm 65) who are stricken with any MND. I've often wondered if my problem is just me being 65 going onto 95... early. Forty years of sex, booze and rock n roll. God's handing me the "Due Bill." If so, I'm willing to pay it before I leave. Just hope there's a lot of crap he's forgot about. (Some on here may not believe it but... I do have a hellava sense of humor. I hope he does too!)

I am sure God has a great sense of humor. I think he will understand your sense of humor quite well.

No one here is an angel by any means, me being one of them and I have done some pretty stupid things in my youth. But you know what I don't regret any of them, they made me who I am now.

I found this and think about it a lot: God will not look you over for medals, degrees or diplomas but for scars.”
― Elbert Hubbard
. I have plenty inside and out. I think we are safe.

I realize this isn't a very "rants and raves" kind of answer either, but they make bowling equipment for folks who can't throw the ball. It isn't as satisfying, but it does allow one to participate socially. The good rigs require a power chair, though.

I had always been a terrible bowler before being in a wheelchair. I was the kind of bowler who was thrilled to break 3 digits. So the first time I went bowling in my wheelchair, I figured I couldn't really do any worse and how embarassing could it be? The very first ball I threw from my chair was a strike, the second frame was a spare, and then there were more good shots interspersed between straight gutter balls and whacking the ball into my spokes instead of it going down the lane. The trend continued on future visits - manual wheelchair Beky is still not a good bowler, but she was better than walkie Beky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back