Diagnosis
11/2007
Country
uk
State
uk
City
uk
Why do some new members put together random letters and numbers for there profile?
Scammers not wanting to be identified?
I find there are many first thing on a morning ....uk time.
Today theres many who are banned but interestingly they seem to have joined the same day...are they the same people?
If your genuine you have no reason to hide anything...yes?

Lets name and shame............
lon86zsqp (banned) joined 28/9

gvxecbvp (banned) joined 28/9

pni93xfxr (banned) joined 28/9
yoy68vrqr (banned) joined 28/9
nlv27mkqh (banned) joined 28/9
puw95bimd ..same as above
ydr58kjom ..same again
rir37fuom ..again
qvi17djxa..again
jrf64uoro .. surprise again.

Plus I counted at least half a dozen who are not banned but joined the same day.
Is there a little seedy office somewhere with a bunch of unsavoury individuals plotting nasty virus attacks........who knows.

I noticed the same thing the other day and wondered what was going on. They all seem to log in around the same time of each other. I thought it strange.

I'm a very observant person.......should have been a detective lol.

Technology is amazing,i was in bed on my Nintendo 3d ds and went on internet browser........got the forum up and read your response Vicki.
I can access all the forum but it wont let you sign in though.

Wow interesting! I'm thinking some kind of attack now that you mentioned it. Maybe not viral but certainly some at least wanting to waste time and possibly more along the lines of seeing if they can elicit more or different responses. Whichever the case may be is wrong on so many levels.

Weird that they all use numbers and letters for their names too.

I just don't see what they get out of it--unless they try to make friends and ask for money from people.

it's done by software, not someone sitting and doing them one at a time and the names are created randomly by the software too, hence they appear so odd.

unlikely to be viral attack attempt as this forum would be hosted on a Linux system most likely, though it can be an attempt to get a trojan of some kind in place but not too likely.

usually it's more along the lines of attempting to get links to here to boost some other site as this site is visited well.

Some forums therefore use software to make it very difficult for software to create memberships such as when you have to read an image of a word and type it, or answer a simple question.

I would say if there are so many that are joining and being banned by David, then the software joins them and attempts to make a post that alerts him and he deals with them fairly quickly. The posts would contain trackback links.

We should be able to sleep well enough brother David is keeping us safe :wink:

Last edited:
I've come across it before when I ran a forum site before. It's automated sign ups generated by SEO software. The software crawls the web looking for forum sites, signs up multiple profiles and then tries to post random garbage full of spam links to sites whose owners have apparently paid the software user to artifucially inflate their website's google page rank. Either that or the links point to sites crawling with malware. Strong site policy on newbies posting straight away will deter it. Message to site mod here - bet if you run an ip check it's either all originating from Eastern Europe or China. Reporting it to ISP will not work, only a block on whole ip ranges will stop it happening.

Thankyou Tillie and venerable for explaining that......now we know.
I am not a big computer buff.
Yes,i can sleep better now lol.

That has been going on the whole time I have been a member here. It isn't something new.

i think numbers profile shud be discouraged....i mean..a profile name conjurs up an image of the person for me and that way i can relate.............though the image i get from sum names is less than flattering....laughs..johnny

And I thought I was paranoid. I figured that as they were just starting to register the system assigned them the random logins until they completed the process.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed it :)

I see it early morning US time because of the time difference where I am.

Within my short time on the Forum I've noticed several long and very detailed posts.
And... they seem to ring of the same tone. I've wondered if they are the same person.
One ability they seem not to have lost yet is typing. I've about wore out my backspace key

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back