Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
IL
City
SMALL TOWN IN
I get on this forum almost everyday. I enjoy getting to know the members on here and try to lend support when I'm able. But, anymore 90% of the posts are from people who think every little twitch or ache in their body is ALS. Their posts are extremely long too. I rarely read most of them anymore. The last thing on earth we ever dreamed of when my dad's health started to decline was ALS. I had never really heard much of it before. People yet want us to give them a diagnosis. It took over a year if not more of tests before dad found out what was going on. He went to two neurologist who finally confirmed it was ALS and then he went for a third and final opinion from a ALS clinic. Why don't these people just go to a doctor instead of wasting their time and everyone elses? I'm not angry just perplexed. Then we get the posts from the people who actually go to a doctor and then don't believe what there are told. It seems that in this day and time people would be more educated. But, it seems normal intelligence seems to be rapidly declining. Go enjoy your life people while you can. My dad just takes it one day at a time and makes the most of it.

Good for you Kim, we seem to have this discussion every so often. I have backed off a little from the DIHALS lately. I think a break from it now and then is good. It gets tiresome answering the same question and trying to calm their fears. Some listen some don't. I have too much on my plate right now to deal with it and be nice about it.

I don't want to strike out in anger that has nothing to do with them and everything to do with my problems.

I think all of us are at fault on this issue because we ENCOURAGE them to keep on flocking these Forums with the same questions over and over.

Do you know the real reason why Forum "Old Timers" aren't coming here that often even when some "troublemakers" were kicked from the Forums? The answer is the flock of "newbies" at DIHALS Sub-Forum.

For each PALS/CALS who starts just one legitimate thread seeking genuine help, you have like 5 or 6 threads started by "newbies".

The only thing I get from them is to stress myself out a little bit (other than bumping my Post Count on the Forum, LOL). ;-) ;-)

Newbies don't bother to read the stickies, don't go to see a Doctor, and if they do, don't believe what their Doctors told them, also if we try to address their questions and concerns that they do not have ALS, they come up with more questions, more twitching, and blah, blah, blah...

But again, we ALL (PALS and CALS alike) are at fault here.
So, do not blame them but blame ourselves a little bit.

Regards,

P.S.: We don't even know if the person (newbie) who started a thread yesterday is the same person who's starting a thread tomorrow.
Who here knows about masking IP Addresses and identities?
Not many here have computer skills to determine if it's the same guy who's playing us on.

Last edited:
Carlos,

You are ever the voice of reason. I mostly agree but disagree a teensy bit.

If one is perturbed by DIHALS - one can simply ignore them. That being said, if we help/comfort/inform/support just one person - that's good enough for me! That's the person I care about - not the 5 or 6 other silly ones. What perplexes me the most, are instances when an un- diagnosed newbie offers advice to another. Too often, it's mis-information.

I believe many "old timers" left due to the lack of moderators and its inherent and ensuing issues. I could be wrong.

This forum, and its members are important to me. My refuge, in many ways and on many levels. Members, PALS, CALS & newbies are a colourful bunch - "Boring" is not a description I would ascribe to them. As my Mom used to say when we kids complained of boredom " boring is, as boring does" or "only the boring get bored". Those words of wisdom ( and so many more) have guided me throughout my life.

" Have fun, but be polite!" :p ( another Mom gem)

I agree Elaine about helping one truly needy person meaning a lot and it is the misinformation that troubles me the most. Even worse I have seen newbies asking the undiagnosed and misguided for information. Sigh!

I do miss the old boards with more PALS and CALS. I know that some have unfortunately passed to another world others are not able to make the effort to post but others simply left. I know some are on Facebook probably some more in the closed PALS group. I wish we could revitalize the PALS/CALS parts of the board but I am glad you are all here my friends
Love
Nikki

Last edited:
I am aware that I have a chose rather I want to read posts or not. Some I only read when I am waiting for a appointment or just have a few minutes to kill. I haven't posted anything mean lately. Nobody has to read my post either. It's strictly my opinion about things. But, calling me a boring person was not nice.

Kim,

I left a message on your Profile page explaining Elaine's post meaning.

She did not disrespect you in any way by calling you names.
She did not say you are "boring", not at all. That wasn't what she meant, believe me.

She probably disagreed with the title of the thread as it might mean that everyone on here are just "bored as hell" with so many incoherent threads at DIHALS Sub-Forum.

She said that as long as she can help JUST ONE PERSON a day (be it a PALS or a CALS), that provides her gratification and not reason to be bored even when we may have 10 "twitchers" screaming for help at DIHALS Sub-Firum.

If this thread is going to morph into a fight between people who just should try to get along it would be better of to close it for good.

Just my 2 cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back