04/2011
Country
US
State
MA
City
Hull
Short Rant:
Lately people have been using "roller coaster" to describe life with ALS, and I don't get it. I've got ALS and I don't see it as a thrill ride filled with ups and downs. Quite frankly, it seems to be all downhill from here. Could somebody tell me where the thrills are? Where the ups are? I'm not saying that life is not without its own joys, I'm asking how does ALS provide the rush, the thrill, the high?

I don't see it as a roller coaster by any stretch, but sort of like potholes. Or dips. I see my life as a pretty steady road. ALS just brings me potholes. Many of the at times, the others not so much. I think you're right, I see nothing high or thrilling about this disease. The high and thrilling thing is my everyday life outside of this disease. The days I forget I have it and can just be not sick in any way. Thankfully, a pot hole is just that, a brief shot down then continuing on my way. Even when I progress further, I don't see myself thinking of it as a big crash of a coaster, just further along down the continuum of life.

I think my analogy skills kind of suck today. Oh well.

I was a cALS and maybe I have a different perspective. If you are scared ******** of roller coasters, I guess that could be a description of ALS. But, hey, I have a really bad attitude right now.

CJ, I was thinking the same thing. Maybe if I really hated roller coasters, this whole thing might remind me of one of those terrible roller coasters in a dark tunnel where you don't know which way the car is going to jolt you next...

Last edited:
I use it to describe my emotions. It has nothing to do with fun.

As crappy as this is, and it is indeed very crappy... there are some good parts. There really are.

I have had the opportunity to really find out who people are. People I thought were my friends dropped me like a hot rock as soon as they found out I was not going to be around for the long term and considered "useful," and I'm thankful to know just how horrible they are now so I didn't waste years bothering with them. People that really are my friends have become closer friends and come through for me in ways I never imagined possible and I value their friendship more than ever. And I've met people who, when faced with the most horrible disease imaginable, are living and loving with strength, grace, and courage beyond comprehension.

I have gotten to be more open and loving with the people that truly matter to me. I know I and everyone I associate with all subscribed to the typical American belief that you do not tell people you love them or how much they mean to you. And now, it's like walls are gone. I tell people I love them. They tell me they love me. Even macho men have cried and told me how much I mean to them. I'm certain under normal circumstances that would never have happened.

I value my days more than I ever did before. Days used to be things you just survived in order to crawl into bed, exhausted from doing what you thought was important, just to drag yourself out of bed the next morning and do it all again. Now, I spend my days doing what I can and want, when I can and want to. Whether that is just sitting and staring at a wall and marveling at the wonders of sheetrock, two-by-four studs, and bricks that have been holding up my roof for more than 50 years... or going out and whoopin' it up with my best buds, I am LIVING LIFE, not just surviving it!

While I always tried to be a good mom before Mr. Gehrig visited my motor neurons, I realize I often let teachable moments and what could have been special times slide by in favor of doing something else. Now, I take every moment I get and turn it into something special and my son is absolutely blossoming in all the attention. He's developed excellent manners in speaking and at the table, we've have game time nightly and I see him developing problem solving skills and good sportsmanship (which was sorely needed!), and we take time to snuggle and cuddle and tell each other how much we love each other. I've definitely had a change in priorities that has been beneficial to both of us.

The list could go on and on....

I think this all goes back to attitude. Either suck on the lemons straight and make a face and cringe... or take your lemons, find some sugar to go with it, and make some lemonade. Can we all make lemonade all the time? Of course not. There are good times, there are bad times. I think this is where the "roller coaster" analogy comes from. Just when we get on an uphill climb where you are used to what you have and are settled into a routine of how to handle it, another loss occurs, and you go downhill all over again with the grief of loss and learning to deal with it. It's an analogy of perspective. Some people perceive their illness this way... others look at it as a giant slide down a rusty razor blade into a tub of alcohol.

I sincerely hope that all my friends here find a way to become rollercoaster lovers... though I certainly understand if you choose the rusty razor blade... that's your right.

Ok... off my soapbox now. The boy wants tacos for dinner and I'm gonna attempt to cook some up!

~ Sarah

When I think of ALS in terms of a rollercoaster ride, I think first of the emotions. There are lots of ups and downs in that respect for both PALS and CALS. Outside of the emotional rollercoaster, I think of the equipment struggles. I can remember getting equipment and the high we would feel because Terry was going to be mobile, comfortable or clean. I can remember the fear when things would be late in arriving. When it came to friendships, we were so sad at the people that just couldn't handle the disease. that was such a downer, but the people that came to visit, helped out and prayed for us just elated us. In retrospect, like it was explained in the movie "Parenthood", I am glad our lives were more like a rollercoaster instead of a merry-go-round. I think we got so much more out of our time together. I am just sorry it wasn't a longer ride.

I think that CJ, Pie, and Miss have explained it very well

It does not matter how many times you ride a Roller Coaster it always returns to the lowest point. I think when people refer to the "ride", they are reporting on the emotional ride. With a terminal illness, you are going to have that ride. It is how you deal with it that determines the "fun". Some people refer to the fun sarcastically, others may view it as fun through different experiences they have on this final part of life's journey.

For me the 'fun'part is being with my family, or enjoying the rainstorm or really seeing a sunset for the first time, not taking it for granted anymore. It has become an awakening to what life is really about, what death is really about. All the small not so important items are now in thier proper place.

The not so "fun"part is realizing that this coaster ride will come to an end, yet knowing the journey is going to continue gives me strength and hope for more future fun, in a new place.

So we must all define what our roller coaster in life is, we choose, even when a map is altered.

I agree with the emotional part of the rollercoaster as well.

My perspective is I find the highs higher, and the lows lower.
Things that used to mean little to me are now massive highs. Example being, I shaved this morning, it was hard, but I did it. It showed me I am still able to do it all by myself. (huge high)

My daughter's 9th birthday today, her smile gave me a huge high, because I know she is happy to have me here to share it with her.

Lows - I couldn't but the tie back on the bread bag this morning. I could do it last week, but not this morning. Very low time.

Its all emotion, but i'm here, and I'm loving it. So long as the "highs" outweigh the "lows"

so in answer to your question: Where are thhe highs? They are in every aspect of your day.

the birds singing
someone you love smiling
a happy news story
...and so on.

Hang in there, live only sucks if you let it.

Casey

You are truly an inspiration, Casey. Sorry about the bread tie, but happy for you for the birds, smiles, family and clean shave :)

Thanks Shar.
Truth is, I dont care about the bread tie, never did care for them. lol

I told my wife when (and if) I can no longer shave, I'm getting laser hair removal on my face. I'm not taking any crap from ALS, I'm in charge here!

Have a great day.

^^^LIKE LIKE LIKE Casey!

(& happy birthday to your daughter!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back