Diagnosis
08/2011
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Orlando
Can someone please explain to me HOW A WHEELCHAIR FOR DIANE CAN NOT BE APPROVED?

Is this something you all think STU might be able to help with? I've never heard anything so absurd in my life.

No electric chair for someone with ALS just has to be the TOP IDIOT move the Medicare people have made this year!

Did Medicare pay for a manual chair or scooter in the last five years? If so, they will deny the pwc. And yes, that is absurd and ridiculous and sorry y'all are going through this! Hope there is a way to fix it!

Where is Diane? Is there an ALSA with a loaner closet nearby? I know that we have an overstock of PWCs available in my area. Maybe someone could loan her one or donate one to her ALS closet that could be passed on to her.

Hey all, I am in the process of appeal and have sent all new requested info for reapproval. Now the waiting game again. I can not see how they will deny me again. But possible. No they have not paid for any other chair for me. I was given a manuel one which someone was throwing away. It is good, notme help me find legrests for it and it has done fine, someone has to be with me to drive and stow in back so they now help push me so I am ok for now. Thank you all for your concern. I am trusting all is in order and it will be approved this time, how long is the question. we will see. We just do what we can.

Dishonest people ruin it for honest people and then we suffer I am sorry all this red and blue and green tape you are having to deal with

I forgot to add that on the other island Oahu, where honolulu is the have MDA who we ALS'ers are grouped with have a loaner closet but no chairs, and if they do get one they said they do not do shipping I would have to do that....sheesh.

Gosh Di, what was their reason for denial? I have never heard of that before!

Barbie, that's what I was thinking. I've never heard of that happening before!

In my wildest dreams I never thought I would be denied, but they wanted to see more documentation for why...ALS...dumb butts....sorry should not have said that but this is my life story. I almost want to apologize to them that I need one..they asked why do I need the recline?, why the leg lifts?, why the tilt?...goodness why, why I hope my doctors have given them all the right documentation this time, if not, guess I will be asking for a hospital bed next...I do not understand why they dont understand what ALS is and what it does to a person. ...ok, I feel better now , sort of, that I got that out.
Thank you all for your concern.

Keep us posted!

My chair documentation had to be redone to show more ambulatory loss of function. I had not fallen enough, and could still get around a little. I guess we were trying a little early to get chair coming. A few tweaks by my OT and it was good to go. Good luck!

Seriously Diane,

First--let me apologize for yelling this out here--I didn't think to ask if you'd mind--I was just livid.

Personally TAKE the doctor's documentation to the Medicare office -- sigh, if they have one on your Island. Have your son take you--IN your wheelchair. Take info on ALS. Call the news raise holy he77 with them.

I fought tooth and nail for my disability--took everything in person. Made them give me receipts.

It's not even so much that you can't even use it in your home just now--it's the POINT that they would dare to deny it in the first place. A high school student that watches TV knows what ALS is and what it does--a stupid bureaucrat for the government does, too.

Hugs hon

Thanks Okie and Notme, it is all by the book ya know...lol....and no no medicare office here. It was ok to yell it out. They are just getting so strict but then again if it's over the money $25, 000 is alot for them to just hand out. But with ALS, ya think they might make it a little eaisier. Thanks guys...:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back