Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
Michigan
City
Mid
A family member is pushing for MJ brownies for Dad. Dad is 78, with bulbar onset as well as weakness in arms, legs, feet, and hands. His diaphragm is about about 50% atrophied. His appetite is still good, though we now cut everything up to avoid choking spells. He is not complaining of pain. He has pre-existing heart conditions (a-fib and congestive heart failure), high blood pressure, gout, arthritis,and he's an insulin-dependent diabetic. He has been treated for clinical depression and anxiety in the past. I suspect (frankly, have no doubt, though I'm no neurologist) that he has FTD.

I realize that every medical MJ website has stories of "MJ delaying ALS symptoms, but I can't find any clinical studies to support those claims. Surely, they've tried?

Am I crazy to think that MJ has side effects, like any other drug, and could negatively interact with his other meds or cause undesired personality changes (we don't want any more of those!)? What are the benefits? Am I a monster to withhold this option from Dad? Am I crazy to think this is just a plain old bad idea?

No your not crazy to think it could cause adverse effects. The truth of it is, that anything we put in our body, whether it be food, drinks, meds react in a positive, neutral, or negative way according to our body's tolerances and chemistry. The only way to know is to test it, but I definately would try and do as much reasearch as possible on MJ. I don't know personally anything of its positive or negative effects...but possibly maybe another member will read and give you their opinion on the subject.

One obvious person to ask, is his GP. Your dad might not even be a candidate with his past heart problems, advanced stage of ALS, or any other possible reason. Good luck.

Personally, I think it's just used to stimulate appetite and maybe put some in a better mood. I don't think it delays any symptoms though. I dislike it myself and don't like the effect at all. To each their own. Does he want to try it?

The safest thing to do is to ask your father's neuro about your concerns. If there is any benefit to your father from using marijuana, he/she will know about it. And anybody who is recommending a "brownie" for someone who has bulbar ALS needs to be smacked in the head and encouraged to learn something about ALS.

The studies that have been done with cannabinoids and ALS basically show three positive effects from the studies. Mrs. Pie gave you the first two -- stimulation of appetite and mood improvement. The third one that I found cited was some relief of spasticity.

The best advice I ever got about "alternative" medicine and ALS was this: if there is anything that truly works to fight this disease, everybody will be on it. MJ isn't one of those things.

*like* trfogey and Ms. Pie's post.

Oh and thanks trfogey, after I read the post a second time I realized it was talking about mary jane...not some obscure rare drug trial out there...I was wondering why they wanted to put it in a brownie?! lol. I really, am quicker than this...sleep deprivation I guess.

Back to original poster, now I know what we are talking about...I see no benefit from MJ...Up to your dad...but make sure any brownies that are made for him from this family member are laced with a secret ingredient. I wouldn't put it past them...

Thanks for everyone's input. And, kmedsley, I agree I'd best watch out for any baked goods coming from that direction. Thanks all!

As a child of the 60s and 70s, brownies are a good thing they ease pain and enhance your endorphins. But a lot depends on the quality of the"flour" you use. The worst I ever felt, was feeling paranoid-best, mellow. Just 1 brownie at a time. But do talk to your Dr first. Now remember, this is from my experience only and I can't recommend for anyone else. Good luck.

thanks, Odiva. I'm holding little brother off until we fiiiiiinally get into the ALS clinic March 6. I worry a bit about the paranoia thing as that already seems to be a minor issue. I really appreciate everyone's input :)

I have no personal experience with MJ (and never will since Texas is so backwater), but I do know of a pALS that swears by it. And his neurologist (in a far more progressive state all the way to the west of us, and at a very prominent ALS clinic) encourages it. This neuro says that it calms down the over-activity in the nervous system and can be extremely beneficial in the right patients. But even this pALS admits it's not exactly "medicinal" when he uses it LOL. So I guess the real question here is your father the right patient or not... Good luck figuring it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back