08/2011
Country
US
State
Fl
City
Orlando
When it rains, it pours.

Two years ago, I fell and ruptured a disc in my neck and one in my spine. Now, the attorney is telling me that the store insurer is refusing to pay for my treatment. Why? They found out I have possible other issues--namely possible ALS--of course they are going to blame that fall on this. Two years ago, I was in a store and went flying on something on the floor.

It took the ambulance half an hour to get there. The employees were rude, the insurance company even ruder--despite witnesses that TOLD them something was spilled. I don't know what it was to this day.

Today, my daughter woke up with a face so swollen, she can't talk. She has a severe infection in her mouth. I have absolutely no money to take her to a dentist, and she refuses to go to an ER. I'm medicating her with old antibiotics that I have no idea if will even help her. Why are adult kids so damn stubborn? Why won't she listen to me when I tell her she HAS to be seen? I've been on the phone since 8am trying to find a low-income dentist or clinic or something--to no avail. But hey, if I was an illegal alien, I could get her help, no problem!

My so-called business is out of business. The landlord decided he wanted his office back so he could personally move in. I've tried to relocate--but offices are outrageously expensive. How in the world can I teach nursing assisting with no access to water? Lord.

My room mate wants to move. I got approved to get a first floor apartment based on my health without paying the $500 fee they charge--but the room mate changed her mind. I can't DO STAIRS anymore.

I'm losing it. I can't get to the doctor in Tampa. I simply can't drive to Tampa--and am not sure my car would even make it there. The transmission is fried. We go nowhere other than the grocery store.

A student signed up for class--great--some $--paid her deposit--changed her mind--and charged back the deposit. (We are a NO REFUND school--so I'm fighting that) I spent money from the deposit on the supplies for her class--uniform, blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, etc. Her deposit is gone! It went for what it's intended for. WHY can people charge back charges they made? She's trying to insist I STOLE her card number. Good thing I keep all my voice mails and emails.

This week has just sucked here. I'm at the boiling point.

They finally delivered the new o2 tanks. They are still getting approval on a mask I can actually use for the machine. I can't use the one they sent--and tried to tell them that two months ago. I can't breathe with it--my head is constantly stuffed--and my lungs are crap now. My sats are in the low 80's. I'm supposed to go back to the pulmonary doc next week--but again, I doubt the car will get me there.

The pain management doc won't see me anymore because the place I fell is denying liability--and I sure can't afford $250 a month to see her. Why won't pain management doctors take insurance? I HAVE insurance. She's almost literally right around the corner, so I can actually GET to her office.

So, i can't have surgery to FIX the problem--and my GP is a useless moron--the Neuro said she'd write the pain med rx's, but I can't GET to Tampa.

So, I'm trying to wean myself off the morphine myself--so I don't have to go through withdrawls (I've been on it for over two years)

What do people do to survive? What really sucks is that all of you with ALS are 100x worse off than I am--and I KNOW that--but it doesn't stop the absolute fury that everything that can go wrong is going wrong.

Just ranting. Nice thing to have a 'rant' thread. Anyone have cheese to go with my whine?

notme, I'm so sorry for all this crap going your way... I wish I were in Tampa, I'd go over and drive you and your daughter to the ER! :) Speaking of which, I think if you showed up in the ER, they would have to give you a prescription?

Maybe you should show up in front of the store's sidewalk in a wheelchair and a sign... I know a friend of mine parked her car on the street in front of a dealership with big lemon signs on the windows, listing everything that had gone wrong with it, and they ended up fixing it (after about 3 days!)

Praying that things will fall into place for you soon.

Thanks, Helen

yes, they would see her in an ER--but SHE is too stubborn to go. I dragged her to one when she had a severe gall bladder attack, and they basically told her to "see her doctor" and sent her home. She hates doctors and hospitals.

I'm going to have to find a way to get her some insurance. I'm seriously worried about the swelling in her face.

Dear One, I wish there was something I could do to help. All I can offer is my prayers that you find a way to eleviate some of this crappy stuff! Does your daughter realize that people die from untreated infections? I wish I were closer to you in proximity.

Love, Marta

It's just not fair that you are going through all this at once. I hope your daughter changes her mind and goes to the er before something serious happens. :-/ also, I hope u have a good lawyer for your accident case. If not I might try calling local universities that offer pre-law/ law schools for suggestions. You shouldn't have to deal with these people alone. Good luck! Hugs

When it rains it really pours! Seems things like this always come all at once and sometimes they just keep coming!

Why do you have to go to Tampa to get the Rx? Why can't it just be called into a local pharmacy?

I really hope things turn around for you soon!

We have a Christian clinic here they have doctors, dentist, and eye doctors all free they donate their time twice a month. They take x rays and pull teeth they will write perception. Also our Wal Marts has a nurse practition office for patients to use.

I am so sorry you are going through it all, but tomorrow is another day. Hopefully your daughter will take 'charge' of her health and advocate for herself. You don't need that all on top of everything else you are going through. I hear you about getting to where you need to go. I honestly, have started a coin bucket to put in all the spare change I can find. What I am I going to do with this? Easy, jump on a plane to the nearest mayo clinic and get an 'official' diagnosis that my insurance will have to accept. Maybe start a coin bucket of your own?

Maybe you can convince your daughter to go to the ER with you or at least urgent care. Then you both can be treated. ER at least can't turn anyone away without first being seen( no matter what insurance you may or may not have) and getting a general 'workup'. Your daughter can get antibiotic prescription and you can maybe get some pain killers and check on your breathing. If you are in the low 80's I believe they can't even let you go until they can learn to manage it or get you an appointment to do so.

I wish you the best, and a better day tomorrow :)

Found a dentist that would see her for $115 bucks we found out she has 5 abscessed teeth. He wants $1500 to pull them. At least she has antibiotics and some pain pills. The swelling has moved down to her neck. Sigh.

Thanks for the support. b

So sorry, patty. As I have said before, your health system really sucks. It's disgusting. Hope things turn around for you both soon.

I was just having a really bad day. My daughter is no better--if anything, the swelling has increased and is moving down her neck. 3 doses of the antibiotics down now.

Left messages with all the clinics available here to have the bad teeth pulled--but no calls back yet. My daughter doesn't have a great immune system. I'm going to make her go to a hospital if she's not much better tomorrow.

We think she has mitral valve prolapse like I do--and that concerns me with any dental issues.

The only thing I've been able to get her to eat in three days is mashed potatoes and bread. Poor thing ;(

Can you go to ER with this issue? The last thing you want is endocarditis on top of everything else. Urgent dental issues can be dealt with in the dental departments at some of the hospitals in NZ.

Sounds really crapy Notme. I thought Health Service in UK was poor, but your situation shows up value of our National Health Service, where you would at least receive some treatment irrespective of private health insurance. Though I suspect that accident insurance in UK would not pay up either if ALS/PLS was a potential issue. Hope something good happens for you soon.

The healthcare in Florida sucks, our taxes suck here in Mass. but at least we have a decent healthcare plan for the unemployed / uninsured masses (no pun intended!)... Do you have a dental school/university in your area, maybe they have a clinic.

But I think you should just take her to the ER for the swelling and mitro valve issue ASAP! Don't wait for this to go on any longer.

Her swelling finally went down and she can eat again. Til next time anyway. After her face was better, I got a call from one of the clinic places that told me there was a place literally around the corner that had emergency dental care for $30. But, at leas we'll have it for next time.

The lawyer I had quit--said that since the store was claiming there was nothing on the floor, it would have to go to litigation and they didn't feel it was financially worth it. Great. I've got two years of bills wracked up that my insurance won't pay because it's related to a fall.

My neuro doesn't think my pulmonologist has me on the right treatment. I have to go see him and her both again, and really, just can't make myself care.

it seems like the harder I fight to make things work, the worse it gets. I'm just tired of fighting everyone over everything.

My legs are still getting worse. I can't even walk through a store anymore. I found a cheap manual chair for home--and it won't roll on my carpet, so it's going to the school I guess.

I don't know how to make my legs feel better. The baclofen isn't cutting it. 3 more weeks til I can see the neuro. I sent all my records to a new pain doctor that takes insurance--hopefully he'll see me.

Weekend class canceled--which is good, because i"m in no shape to try to teach it anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back