Diagnosis
11/2005
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Toronto
OK - I know it's based on the number of posts, but seriously I've been a member for almost 6 years. Sadly, there are not too many other active members who've been on longer than me.

I can understand why I may not have earned the "very helpful member" designation - although I do try to be helpful on subjects I have particular knowledge about. But I definitely think I deserve the designation of "Senior " member.

I am just reserved and only reply when I feel like I can make a difference. Plus for a number of years I was putting all my energy into trying to keep up with my career and not letting on to my clients that I had ALS. And then I had a daughter.

Would it be an abuse to post hundreds of replies under this thread to achieve senior member status? ;)

Last edited:
now that would be hilarious :). what you need is verbal diarrhea, like some of us ladies. hey we all know you rock.
aly

Hey buddy, I would gladly give you a thousand of my posts if I could! :-D

You are a helpful senior member.. I agree. When I started you were already here. I have been around a while, my join is some 4 years ago, and I am glad you have been with us that long. It is merely a computer system that recognizes numbers. Maybe it should also recognize time on the forum, good news that you have been here that long.. ALS is losing, (ok not losing, taking more time to win).. thanks for your posts, and help.

I looked in the Admin. Control Panel and there's not a function so that I could change your status Richard. Sorry.

AL.

your wisdom is what counts that is what is most important and most know you

WOW - Thanks guys. I was nearly brought to tears reading your replies. I feel honored but undeserving of such respect.

This was just supposed to be a silly rant that I didn't think anyone would read, never mind responding to.

I feel all nice and warm and fuzzy inside - and it has nothing to do with that bean burrito I had for lunch.

This has been a real turning point for me on this forum.

Thanks for the group hug.

Richard I've always considered you a helpful senior member--the stats mean nothing--there are people that babble on about nothing and get those stats and I cringe when they are dubbed senior or helpful.
Laurel

Thanks Laurel

So just for fun I researched to see which people have been active members longer than me.

Of course there is David and Al.

Upon becoming Super Moderator, Al seemingly stopped being extremely helpful. And apparently David has never been very helpful or senior. This comes as a surprise as I always thought of David and Al as being extremely-super-duper-indispensable-gods-among-men-without-whom-none-of-this-would-be-possible-helpful. But I guess I was wrong. ;)

Asides from David and Al, the only people with any activity this year who have been members longer than me are Patsy and Mike27. Anybody heard from them lately? Hope they are doing OK.

This was supposed to be a fun exercise but it became heartbreaking when I was going through the member list and realized how many members we have lost. So very sad. Sigh.

For those who didn't know, this forum began as a support forum on the ALS Society of Canada website. Then, in early 2006, ALSSCA decided they could no longer host the forum anymore. That was a dark day. But upon our saviour David's initiative, with the help of people like Al, the forum was saved!

Ahhhh...I remember those early days...we were all so young and innocent. A lot of you newer members probably can't remember that far back. Gas was only $1.32/gallon, chocolate bars were $1.00, we were entertained by celebrities with names like Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie....plus Al had a lot more hair ;) (sorry for that cheap shot Al)

i have been here less than 2 years and so heartbroken on the loss of the amount of people and bethu and joel , mtpockets , blackpool and so many more too many to name but , i think of them often with thier wisdom and wit

Richard, I always read your posts. If points were given for being read rather than for talking, you'd have mine and I'd have yours. I had no idea how the forum began and it's interesting! May I ask when your onset was noticeable in hindsight?
Ann

I know what to do!
take a little piece of paper with the words "top dog" written on it and tape it on your monitor under your username! since we already know you are so awesome, this can be a little reminder for yourself!

In all seriousness, Im glad youre still here and I was given the opportunity to talk with you and get to know a little bit about you and your life. Thats what puts a smile on my face.

Ann - you do yourself an injustice - your posts are always helpful, supportive and insightful - you represent both quality AND quantity. Liz - you're not too shabby either and I like your "top dog" idea but maybe "top wiener dog" might be more appropriate- or maybe just "top wiener"

Ann - as for my onset - it is tough to say. About a year before my official diagnosis- my hands started aching whenever I typed for any extended period of time, I stopped being able to use a mouse and I was having trouble writing - I assumed it was just a bad case of carpal tunnel syndrome - I also had trouble moving a large TV with my brother one day - and at my swim club, people I could usually keep pace with were leaving me in their wake - 13 years prior to that during my last year of university exams my thumb just gave out and I couldn't write with it - probably unrelated but you never know

Liz - I am still processing the fact that you pick your PALS nose and seem to enjoy it - my feelings are alternating between incredible respect and admiration on one hand and "eeeeeyyyyeeeew" on the other hand

Richard, our onset was similar so far as timing goes. Mine was very slow in progressing that first year or more. Your problems were much more serious as far as having a normal life. I just tripped a lot. ...And you're very kind, but you still deserve a high member rating. Now we can "like" your posts!

what can I say? I got a thing for boogers... and if more people were honest, theyd admit that its fun to roll a booger between their fingers before they flick it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back