08/2009
Country
US
State
Colorado
City
Colorado Springs
Hi all..

If you were to take a look back at my "intro" post, you'd recall that I might have ALS. Diagnosed with it by general neuro, but ALS clinic neuro reserving the decision until at least next follow-up in Nov. I will be asking about these at that point as well... but wanted to get some feedback from this group of folks too. I've not really seen (or found in searching) anyone express these two things.

The first one is having muscles involuntarily contract when I yawn. For me this is in my hands... they "close up" like starting to make a fist to various extent. Not every time, not the same amount each time, and sometimes either or both hands. Even my wife has noticed this one.

The second one has only happened twice that I've noticed over the last number of months. This was when walking, that my right leg just kinda suddenly went limp/asleep on a single step, and then was immediately fine again. So picture you've been walking for 100 feet, then all of a sudden "Whoa... where'd my leg go?". I kinda think of it like a misfire for a single step, but fine for all the other steps.

Thanks for any insight! Sorry if the info was there, and my search skills were not up to the task.

Brian

Those issue's sound like things that we have dealt with. I hope you get more answers to your questions. We are here for you, and we care.

mine started with my right leg...just give out for no reason. i didn't think much about it, but when i finally went i was tripping more and more and go down way too often. ask lots of questions, and what everythinng means. Others will have more :)

i have had the yawn/ hand thing since early on, before diagnosed. (7/09)...as early as my hand weekness: couldn't open a latch type door or pull the trigger on the carpet cleaner with my left hand(4/09), before fasciculations started (5/09), and i do hit that doorjam now and again, and i fell on my but this weekend when i thought i could still paint with the not so bad hand on an ever so slight incine.

good to have the als people still looking.....prayers and hoping for something else...did check all my boxes though....looked for lyme disease, celiac, etc

take care

My whole body seizes up when I yawn. If I'm sitting, like on the side of the bed, nothing better be in the way, because my legs are gonna straighten out. It's getting bedtime now, and I'did a couple of these in the last few minutes. Nyt all.

Perry

Is bumping into things, like hitting the doorjam an ALS "symptom"?

I've never heard of it listed as a symptom. A couple of us klutses have experienced it, but don't know if it relates in any way to ALS.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

It's very helpful to compare notes with others.

Brian

Is bumping into things, like hitting the doorjam an ALS "symptom"?

Nope , its more a symptom of Alcohol consumption. Well , at least in my experiences.

I do bump into the floor on occasion , and YES that is ALS related.

Glen

My whole body seizes up when I yawn. If I'm sitting, like on the side of the bed, nothing better be in the way, because my legs are gonna straighten out. It's getting bedtime now, and I'did a couple of these in the last few minutes. Nyt all.

Perry

Perry,

Ha , I do the full body shake. I'm a human vibrator. It doesn't matter where I am or what time it is.

Glen

Hi all..

If you were to take a look back at my "intro" post, you'd recall that I might have ALS. Diagnosed with it by general neuro, but ALS clinic neuro reserving the decision until at least next follow-up in Nov. I will be asking about these at that point as well... but wanted to get some feedback from this group of folks too. I've not really seen (or found in searching) anyone express these two things.

The first one is having muscles involuntarily contract when I yawn. For me this is in my hands... they "close up" like starting to make a fist to various extent. Not every time, not the same amount each time, and sometimes either or both hands. Even my wife has noticed this one.

The second one has only happened twice that I've noticed over the last number of months. This was when walking, that my right leg just kinda suddenly went limp/asleep on a single step, and then was immediately fine again. So picture you've been walking for 100 feet, then all of a sudden "Whoa... where'd my leg go?". I kinda think of it like a misfire for a single step, but fine for all the other steps.

Thanks for any insight! Sorry if the info was there, and my search skills were not up to the task.

Brian

Hey Brian,

Please be careful about the walking numbness. It has happened to me and I have been hurt. Not to scare you , but you should be aware of the possibility.

Glen

Thanks Glen... understood.

That walking thing being a "normal" experience kinda surprised me (not exactly normal, but can't think of the appropriate word here... I don't think anything is normal with MND). The gradual weakness is something you read about all over the place. In all my searching around, I never came across this sudden weakness/recovery behavior.

Does it change how often it happens over time? I have had it happen once maybe 2 months ago, and then once about 2 weeks ago.
Does it turn into a weekly/daily thing?

I cannot say its a regular thing , but can say this. You need to guard against it.

As you get weaker, if you do not pay attention , it can happen more often. which sucks but makes sense.

I did not see the last one coming, just a small earthquake in my house and some strained ligaments in my knee, with me sitting on the floor saying "What just happened?".

Glen

My husband's arms and hands do the same thing as you describe when he yawns. Falling is the tricky part, you never know when it may happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back