02/2008
Country
CA
State
Alberta
City
Hinton
What once was
What once was able to wrap itself around voluptuous vowels & commanding consonants
What once was a sculptor of ice cream cones, able to excavate every last bit of flavour
What once was stuck to a metal post tasted on a dare on a frozen January afternoon
What once was able to infuriate my sister by protruding it out of my mouth
What once was able to curl itself up and launch watermelon seeds
What once was made temporarily numb by the dentist’s needle
What once was made temporarily numb by the brewer’s bottle
What once was part of my ability to blow smoke rings
What once was an instrument of pleasure
What once was controlled by me
What once was me
What once was

Barry, if this was a question on Jeapordy, my answer would be, "What once was my tongue!".

Beautiful lament to such an important, everyday utility.

Zaphoon

Thanks Zaph, I was brushing my teeth last night and noticed that my tongue is now just the floor of my mouth. I woke up at 2 and decided that it needed a tribute.

Now on to the Follies!
Barry

That expresses it perfectly. And I like that concept ... like a little "mouth rug." Makes it sound like it still has some purpose in life besides carrying around a lot of frustrated taste buds.

It used to be a useful little bugger, didn't it ?!?

(... and my poor redundant taste buds don't even get to taste Buds any more.)

Why can't they make beer strips (and other flavors for that matter) like breath strips? I could think of sorts of mischief with them!

"No officer, I wasn't drinking I just had a beer strip!" I'll leave it at that! LOL

I bet somebody, somewhere has surely thought of such "taste" strips!

Your tongue wouldn't have to do anything but enjoy the moment!

Hah! They do! "Firstflavor" test strips! Barcardi, Welch's, Skky and more use them as a marketing program to enable customers to sample flavors before buying!

I think I will look into this further to see if these little strips could be ordered online for a small fee. Wouldn't that be great for people that no longer have the use of the little "rug?" I could see a use for these in the "disabled," excuse me, as they say at the elementary school - SPECIAL NEEDS community!

Nice tribute Barry!

i do not remember who's saying this is but, i like it ---Some people see things as they are and say "Why."
I dream things that never were and say "Why not---- maybe one of you can call the company that makes breath strips and explain the need for them to have all kinds of flavor's for all people who can not eat and drink --the more i think of this it could be quite the answer to satisfy the longing for the taste of food.. i would but, i am not good at talking for negotiation's ( hope that is the right word )

p.s ---or know some one good at talking for you call

i do not remember who's saying this is but, i like it ---Some people see things as they are and say "Why."
I dream things that never were and say "Why not---- maybe one of you can call the company that makes breath strips and explain the need for them to have all kinds of flavor's for all people who can not eat and drink --the more i think of this it could be quite the answer to satisfy the longing for the taste of food.. i would but, i am not good at talking for negotiation's ( hope that is the right word )

George Bernard Shaw:

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream of things that never were and say, "Why not?"

...frequently mistakenly attributed to Robert F. (Bobby) Kennedy, perhaps because Edward F. (Teddy) Kennedy quoted it in his eulogy of RFK.

There's a "butter taste" spray you can spray on popcorn, and I believe a chocolate-flavored mouth spray for dieters. Somehow, it just ain't the same.

Great Ode to something we never think about until it is lost to us. Hope the great minds on the forum can come up with some great tasting strips.Looking forward to reading the follies.

we can try , wont have the diet type

it is under someones avatar , but now i know where she or he got it from don't matter i like it. thank you for information roadkill

I emailed the company explaining the reason for a need for marketing this to those that can no longer eat by mouth. Maybe I will get a response.

My husband thought it would be torture to have "taste" strips. I told him if we are grilling and you can't eat but you can smell, you might like to have a little taste while you have nutrition thru a PEG! He agreed, for once! LOL

"I told him if we are grilling and you can't eat but you can smell, you might like to have a little taste while you have nutrition thru a PEG! He agreed, for once! LOL""

I agree 100%, I would like my taste strip medium well with fried mushrooms and a baked potato with sour cream and bacon bits! And for desert, key lime pie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back