Diagnosis
08/2009
Country
US
State
CA
City
Santa Barbara
Last night for the first time I experienced the inappropriate laughter some people have described, what is called emotional lability. (Wikipedia: "Lability refers to something that is constantly undergoing change or something that is likely to undergo change.")

For some time I've noticed that when I try to tell a joke, or hear one, I laugh harder than I should. In fact I can hardly tell a joke anymore, I laugh too much to get the words out easily, and of course nothing spoils a joke more than for the teller to be laughing too hard to tell it. I also have been tearing up more but that I figured is understandable trying to come to grips with this diagnosis and what it could mean. So I haven't worried too much about these reactions.

But last night my wife accidentally almost cut off the head of our dog, at least that was how it looked from my angle. Luckily the dog was unharmed, but I gave a loud, strangled gasp of horror, which is how I usually react to surprise. Rather than caution my wife about carelessness, I didn't say anything, since I could see that she belatedly realized what she had done. I just calmly got a spoon and continued dishing myself some ice cream. This is kind of a passive-aggressive thing that I do, where I don't say anything in a situation of some emotional urgency, and is kind of a bad and nasty habit.

Suddenly the situation struck me as funny, that something so awful had almost happened, and I was pretending to ignore it, and I couldn't help it, I started laughing. This kind of spoils my attempt to maintain a stoic silence, which just made me laugh harder. She of course asks what's so funny, and that made me laugh even worse. It was really disturbing because I am usually very good at keeping my mouth shut.

Anyway I calmed down, everything was fine, but that night as we were getting to bed she said, I guess maybe you *do* have ALS. (We have kind of been officially in denial on the diagnosis.) I said that it could still be something else, I'm sure a lot of things cause uncontrollable laughter. But she got very sad and was saying oh, how terrible, and such. And once again I couldn't help it, I burst into laughter.

This was really an inappropriate reaction, needless to say. But somehow it struck me as funny, she is sad for me, but the truth is I don't even care that much about all this stuff, I can adapt to anything. I am mostly worried about her and how she will handle it. So she's sad for me, I'm worried about her, and it just seemed funny, and I couldn't control it. I burst into laughter, and once again, the fact that I was laughing so inappropriately somehow made me laugh more. I apologized over and over again while laughing.

Well, it seemed to kind of cheer her up eventually, at least she got over her sadness a bit (maybe she was hiding it so I wouldn't keep laughing). Then we both ended up crying. What a mess.

Luckily today I feel OK again, but if that keeps happening I guess I should ask the doctor about it. I understand there is a medicine that works pretty well.

Hal ... welcome to the EL club. There are meds to help, thank heavens.

I think my personal low was having an EL episode IN A DREAM! I dreamed I was in a yoga class (!) which was being led by one of my favorite people on the planet, and he was unfolding a beautiful hooked rug to sit on ... a rug that I had created in a moment of domestic insanity some years ago (I do not recommend rug hooking for Type A personalities) ... which was a signal honor, to have the yogi choose my rug to sit on to lead a meditation. And I was full of murderous rage about the whole thing.

I woke up still full of that crazy rage ... ax-murder level rage ... and immediately tried to pick a fight with my husband. Fortunately, I can only do so with a LightWriter and I'm too weak to swing an ax even if I had one, so it ended happily. My husband pretended to be asleep through it all, although I thought I saw flickers of interest as I was punching the LightWriter. But he's got his act down pretty good.

PS ... where is that holistic doctor you mentioned in another thread. You said an hour's drive away. I'm hoping maybe an hour south? Ventura?

Hi Beth - That's an amazing story. It is certainly an entertaining disease. :) Always something new.

Unfortunately the doctor is in the other direction, he is up in Lompoc - guy named Saunders. I'm not too sure about him yet.

Hal, I love the way you told that story!

Zaphoon

Hal,

Yep! That's EL!

Wait til you start talking about funerals... My husband thought caskets and burial arrangements quite hilarious. He could not quit laughing!

He now takes Lexapro and that seems to help pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back