Diagnosis
07/2008
Country
SA
State
Free State
City
Welkom
My PEG was inserted 4 weeks ago. The wound became infected but infection has been treated and cleared up. There is still leakage of my stomach contents from the wound. Is this normal and will it eventually stop or what? I have to put a clean dressing on daily as it leakes onto my clothes.

Ronelle ... I'd check with your doctor.

I have VERY minor oozing on mine. A tiny crust will form around the tube every week or so, which I wipe off with saline solution. I stopped using a dressing around the opening in the second week, I think. Yours is probably perfectly normal, but after your experience, I'd mention it to the doctor or his office staff and make sure.

Ronelle, I too have very minor leakage at the tube site and I find that I get more leakage if I am active. I don't use any dressing at all as it is not needed. It should stop leaking but you should have your doctor check it to be sure.

Barry

Andys Hospice nurse cauterized his seepage if it got too oozy. She used silver nitrate. Worked great.

Thanks for your comments. My dr says its normal but I am not convinced. My friend in SA never had any leakage whatsoever. He says I can swim and I don't believe that either. If stuff leakes out it means water can go in? Do any of you swim with your PEG?

Swimming is okay. I used to go in the hot tube until we had to sell our home and move. Once you get a trache and vent swimming is out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back