05/2007
Country
US
State
CA
City
San Diego
Dear ALS Friends,

I have not been on this site in a while. I have gone down a few plateaus since my last posting. I thought it time to tell you that my wife and I decided, after much research, to make the trip to Monterrey, Mexico and get the stem cell injections here. The procedure is being done at the University Hospital in Monterrey. The city is clean and safe. They take stem cells from your own body and then inject them into your brain. We met one American patient here, who had just completed her procedure and she was doing very well. I also spoke to the mother of another patient who had the procedure nearly two months ago, and she told me that her daughter felt like her progression had stopped. If you are interested in finding out more information about this procedure, please contact Stephen Byer at alsworldwide.org.

I am having my injections done this Thursday, and will be home on Saturday.

Wish me well......Best to all of you,

Shane

Shane ... praying that all goes well with you, and the procedure is a success ! Please let us know the outcome.

Fingers crossed.

Shane, I hate to rain on your parade but let me know how well you are in 3-4 months time.

AL.

Shane,

Best of Luck!

Good luck wth procedure Shane.
Keep us posted, Cookie
P.S. Have anyone heard of the Stem Cell clinic in Germany?

Yes cookie...I have been approved for it...well that is novel, all they want is my money.. We have a friend with limb onset, now 5 years...is totally immobile. He went to one of the german clinics (they have a couple...stutgart and cologne.)...he had the treatment 3 months ago....they said 3 to 6 months before he should notice a difference. So far his family have said he is worse. I saw my speech therapist today who also sees him and she said there is no change in him, she did not even know he had gone. She also has a patient who went to India, again, no improvement. She did point out, that in the UK for sure, if they really thought it would work, they would ethically be bound to give it to patients here. Top London Hospitals and universities and the MND assoc are researching the treatment and they think it is at least 5 years away. The treatment produces some new neurons but they cannot connect with the muscles....that is the hurdle they are trying to overcome as well as how to make the neurons grow more quickly and more abundantly. I am approved but wont be going YET.....

Shane,

It's good to hear from you again. Keep us posted on how things go post treatment.

Zaphoon

I wish you the best Shane. But please remember that it will take many months after the treatment before you can say whether or not it has truly worked. Please keep us informed, and again, all the best.

i hope with all my being it works for you

I hope the best for you.....I am praying for all here.
netty

Hey Netty, how you doing. Glad you still look in.

AL.

Cookie,
We took my mom to Cologne in Dec 2008 just weeks after her diagnosis.

She passed away just three months later. I am of the opinion they need to remove ALS from the list of diseases they treat.

They haven't updated their website since treating only 53 patients in May 2008. I don't doubt the treatment holds hope for other diseases, but not for ALS. Notice the success stories are all for other diseases.

Leaving Monterrey, Mexico

Dear ALS Friends,

I had the surgery on Thursday and was discharged on Friday.
We leave tomorrow to fly back home. The experience was quite positive and while I have no drastic impact yet, I am quite hopeful that this procedure will in fact help. We have spoken to a few Americans who have also had the procedure. They are also happy they did so. I recommend that you look into it for yourself. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have....even you Big Al......

Shane

Congratulations Shane. Hope you see a drastic improvement day by day.
Have a safe trip back home,Cookie

Hi, Shane ... glad it went well, and still have fingers crossed that it will do as promised!

Would you mind telling us how much it cost (aside from travel, lodging, etc.)?

Also, what was the procedure like? You say it's surgery: where do they cut and how do they inject the stem cells? Do they have to suppress the immune system?

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back