Reason
Lost a loved one
Country
US
State
PA
City
Lafayette Hill
We are starting the search for vans, and in gathering information, learned there are a few companies that do conversions. (who knew?) Seems like the main co. are Braun & VMI.

I've read discussions here that mention Braun; does anyone have the VMI conversion?
We like the Honda Odyssey, which only does VMI, and wonder how it holds up as far as the ramp & anything else.

Would appreciate any & all comments; and, any plus or minus on the Toyota Sienna.
This is the other van that works for us.

Thanks!

Hi mare, sorry I can't answer your questions but I did find a good thread on the subject of wheelchair vans that you might be interested in reading if you haven't already.

https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1983

I hope this helps and please let me know what you find, I will be looking for a van soon and I would rather not spend a lot of money that I don't have.

Barry

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Jeff. Can I ask what car/van you have?
And, do you drive it? In your chair, or in driver's seat?

Jim would like to get one fairly soon (at least order one) and use with just a basic power chair. We aren't sure if the dimensions would be the same with a more advanced chair.
Plan on discussing this with OT/PT at next visit (next Thurs.)

At this point, he can transfer easily to driver's seat, and driving is still OK. He wants the independence of being able to go places himself. (maybe I should follow him someday; check exactly where he is going? LOL)

Barry- I did see those threads, thanks. I'll keep you posted, but I think this process will take some time. It is not like going to a dealership & buying a regular car- whether new or used. And, Jim loves the hunt & will haggle the last $50! (he is embarrassing sometimes!) Plus, he doesn't even have a chair yet- we'll see!

Van info

When looking at vans or conversions remember to check the headroom inside and going through the door. I had some trouble with this as I am six feet tall.
Also you can chose to have a single point lock down in the center of your wheelchair that has a remote release, or the regular straps that fasten to all four corners of your chair. The single point release Has a part that sticks down in the middle of the bottom of your chair that may make clearance over some obstacles difficult.
Just some things to consider.

Capt. Al- thanks for the "heads up"

I remember your posts regarding head room. That is a concern of ours as well, since Jim is also 6ft. For that reason, the Town & Country is ruled out for us. The Toyota & Honda had slightly more room. But, since we don't yet have the chair, I'm afraid we are putting the cart before the horse!

Just gathering all the info right now to see what our options are.

I don't drive it although I could. I got a Permolock installed, but on the passenger side. I would have to get evaluated to drive from my chair and just didn't feel like dealing with it. I have the 2008 Dodge Caravan as I stated in my review and it has 58" of headroom and I think 55 1/2" at the entry. I'm just under 5'10" and fit with no problems in a Permobil C500 which is also reviewed.

I would appreciate it if anyone here would submit and review items that they think are useful or useless. It will allow us to pool and share that knowledge. The process is quick and simple and even if it gets messed up it can easily be fixed so please give it a go.

Thanks, Jeff-

I saw the review on the Dodge Caravan; didn't realize that was you.
Didn't see the Permobil review. Will have to go back & check that!

I'd rather be shopping for a pair of shoes (sigh)! LOL

Mare,
Pam is in Mechanicsburg PA. She is as you know a sweet-heart. She want's to help other PALS with her beloved Andie's things. She is already reaching out if you could use anything, I know Andy had a very nice bed, she live's close to me, so anything I could do on my end for anyone let me know. I have a strong son and husband, anyone in the PA. Maryland, or Delaware, or somewhere close maybe we could help. Not sure if Pam has transportation on not, she will be back after this weekend. I send out my thoughts and love to Pam and family as they remember and put to rest beloved pal Andy.

Hoping-

Thank you very much for that kind offer in behalf of Pam. Yes, she does seem like a very caring & compassionate person.

We are not in need of anything; fortunately, our ALS Chapter is large & we have been provided with a walker & scooter. Will be checking with them on Thursday, our next visit, about availability of a power chair.

I'm sure she will be able to find a home for all of the equipment she has, perhaps by donating it to the ALS association or MDA; or even thru Stu at the ALS Guardian Angels.

I am keeping Pam & Andy's family in my prayers also, as they face this most difficult time.
Thank you again, hopefully someone will see this offer and contact you.

Hello Mare,

We recently purchased the Braun/Toyota Sienna & are VERY pleased with the choice. Why Toyota? For the simple fact that I have put as many as 292,000 miles on Toyotas in the past & have never has a bad experience w them. I am certain that the Honda is just as good.

My research revealed one point to consider: Braun builds their conversions on a Sienna chassis that is "beefed up" for commercial delivery use, whereas (at least as I understand it) the Honda & Dodge/Chrysler are built on normal passenger van frame.

We are getting 20 mpg (over 4 months of normal driving) and are pleased w the comfort. This van has allowed me to make the 800+ mile (round trip) ride (I can no longer drive safely) to see my grandchildren twice this summer, with plans for 2 more trips by Thanksgiving.

Although it was expensive, it has added a great deal to my quality of life.

Only one issue has popped up. The Braun ramp folds up in a manner that interferes w the reclining of the front passenger seat. I am concerned that it will tear in the future. I called Braun, & they sent a rather cheap piece of plastic to place on the ramp to "protect" the seat. This solution is unsatisfactory, so I am going to remedy it in another manner.

Since you seem to be in a large community, see if you can examine both the VMI & the Braun.

Good luck with your search,
gramps

New van model BraunAbility XT High head room, 61"

I have a leased Ford van and someone put the passenger seat back and when the ramp was lowered it tore the back of the seat cover.
It also must have the commercial frame because it rides really rough.
There is a new model coming on the market that has more headroom without raising the roof. It has 61" headroom inside and 56 and 1/2 inches going thru door.
It is called BraunAbility Entervan XT Handicap Van. Chrysler/Dodge I think.

ok friends...here is my question-

I have an 06 Kia Sedona van-is there some way to find out if it can be converted? I have a power chair coming from the ALS Assn in a couple of weeks.

Hubby seems to think he can have a ramp installed? I need guidance!
thanks-
brenda

Brenda,

I've seen Kia Sedonas converted on the internet for sale. It would just be a matter of taking the van to a converter or have them come out so they can measure your chair, etc... The ones I saw had a rear entrance ramp.

Brenda-

From what I understand, Braun & VMI are the 2 top conversion companies (full conversions, with lowerd floors) They now only convert Dodge, Chrysler, Toyota (only Braun) & Honda (only VMI). At least, new models. I don't know if they retro fit.

There are a few other smaller companies that do this type of conversion, but I have no info on them, as far as reliability & safety.

You can have just a ramp or lift fitted for a van. but this only works if you can transfer safely from your chair to the passenger seat. Once you are fully w/c dependent, and need to stay in the chair, the conversion is one where the floor is lowered 10" (some slightly more) & a ramp/lift is installed. Obviously, you want a reliable company doing this! And, I do not know if this would be possible on your model.

Since you have the van, it would be less expensive to install ramp/lift. But, this would only work short term, depending on your progression.
If possible, if you have any w/c van dealers in your area, it is worth a trip to see how these things work, just to understand what is involved. Believe me, it is an education! Hope this helps!

Whatever you decide to do, I would not recommend a wheelchair lift on the rear of the vehicle. That is what I got first. It worked as long as I could transfer to the seat and my wife would drive the WC onto the lift rack on the back of the car, Honda Pilot by the way.
Biggest problem, I was only able to transfer for about one year and then that option no longer was workable. So now I have a vehicle I cannot use and have had to lease a fully handicapped van to ride inside with my power chair.
I should have planned further ahead and gotten the fully functional van to start with. Please take this opportunity to learn from my mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back