Loved one DX
Country
US
State
TX
City
Houston
Everyone,

Mom does not use the bipap machine very much at night as she can not sleep at all with the machine. If she is not hooked up to it, she can sleep normally.

I just wonder what other people's experiences with bipaps are?

I had a lot of trouble getting used to my Bipap too. Read my blog on my experience with it.
"Getting used to a BiPAP"
Good Luck!

I have had the bipap a week now and still having trouble at night.

joelc, I don't seem to be able to find your blog on "Getting used to bipap"

I adapted much more easily than I expected ... I had planned to really resist using it, but found to my amazement that I could sleep just fine with it.

HOWEVER, I am still struggling 7 months later to get a good fit on a mask. The RT who delivered it said "there is always some leakage of air with full-face masks," so I accept that, but think the fit should be better than what I have.

I do feel better in the day when I use it all night long, but haven't had the big pay-off some people experience in extra energy, etc.

My big problem is the sore on the bridge of the nose, where the gel ends. I ordered a "total face" mask that fits across the forehead, down the cheeks and under the lips, and it is wonderful ... such an improvement! ... but I can't get a good seal on it, either. I think this mask would be hard for people with claustrophobia, but it works for me, and lets me read while wearing it.

My second big problem is when I wake up during the night to go to the bathroom or because the mask has shifted, and I'm too sleepy to fuss with getting it back on, so I don't get the full-night effect.

To sum up, I can sleep OK with or without it, but feel better during the day if I've worn it all night. I think it's worth the struggle to adapt.

HOWEVER, I am still struggling 7 months later to get a good fit on a mask. The RT who delivered it said "there is always some leakage of air with full-face masks," so I accept that, but think the fit should be better than what I have.

Thats BS. Do not accept that. It is the most important piece. There are so many out there. Are you using just the nose or a full face ?

My big problem is the sore on the bridge of the nose, where the gel ends. I ordered a "total face" mask that fits across the forehead, down the cheeks and under the lips, and it is wonderful ... such an improvement! ... but I can't get a good seal on it, either. I think this mask would be hard for people with claustrophobia, but it works for me, and lets me read while wearing it.

DOH - should have read the whole post . What is the issue ? Is your skin oily? Do you have it on too tight ?

My second big problem is when I wake up during the night to go to the bathroom or because the mask has shifted, and I'm too sleepy to fuss with getting it back on, so I don't get the full-night effect.

To sum up, I can sleep OK with or without it, but feel better during the day if I've worn it all night. I think it's worth the struggle to adapt.

Putting it back on is the hardest habit to break. It looks like you have accepted that it is better when worn. You have been sleeping many yrs without it, it takes time to break old habits.

I have not seen the full head style of mask , but use the Ultra Mirage II full face. I have been wearing a mask for over 7.5 years now. I have claustrophobia, and the first night was a biatch.

Beth , send me a PM if you want to chat offline about this.

Glen

Beth,

My husband has a "quick disconnect" that allows him to keep the mask on. That worked well in the beginning, but now with hand and arm weakness, he has problems and just rips the whole thing off. He too, usually doesn't put it back on unless he allows me to do it.

With all the technology out there, you would think there would be an easy solution.

As to having problems using the BiPap - settings may need to be adjusted. And I know it does take getting used to.

Thanks, Glen and CJ ... I think I've solved the mask problem. (I'll find out tomorrow morning.) My caregiver and I camped out at the vendor's office today, and finally got fitted correctly, I think.

I use the full-face mask as I can't keep my mouth closed any more. I thought I needed to have my jaw shut at first, and tried chin straps, which didn't work. I could keep my jaw closed, but not my lips. But when we breathe, it all goes to the same place, whether it is through the mouth or nose, so I hope I get the same benefits with mouth breathing.

I wish there were some kind of liquid gel seal that you could put around it to seal all the little leaks. I think the sore spot on the nose is from having to cinch it so tight to get a seal.

Thanks for the feedback! I hope I'm near a solution.

Try this for the little leaks .
Put the mask on , and where-ever there is a leak , pull your skin outwards and let go. When your skin retracts , it should pull the membrane inside a bit more.

Also , I read somewhere in the forums , that someone found little gel strips that you can place over the bridge of your nose to alleviate the sores. I have not needed them yet , I only have a red spot , same place as my glasses sit. Its not sore , so I don't bother with anything for it.

Happy Dreams

Glen

You guys are bringing back so many memories! I am soooo glad I now have a vent as none of these problems happen. LOL.

To be perfectly honest, if more people believed me and knew vents were this comfortable in relation to a bipap everyone would get one! I am not stretching the truth either - my experience has sincerely been this way.

I have been weighing the pros and cons Joel. The biggest con is that I am still working , and don't want the connection just yet. Maybe when its time for the chair , I will reconsider.

I am in the running for a peg though. First consult with surgeon is Thursday.

Glen

Good Luck on Thursday! That was also a cake walk for me.

I think a lot of it has to do with a persons attitude. I did not think it was going to be a big deal and it turned out not to be.

If you are still working then it is not time. You must be able to go all day without your bipap then?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back