Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
UK
State
Lincolnshire
City
Grimsby
Hi , I'm learning new things about this disease as each day comes along . The day before yesterday I lost my voluntary cough , the auto one still there but I can't cough to clear my chest . Has anyone else experienced this please may I ask ?
I'm aspirating drinks , awaiting a PEG within the next week , and I'm severe asthmatic so need to keep my chest clear . xx:cry:

Perhaps a cough assist machine would help you. I don't have one yet but intend to get one.

Tich, I have problems initiating a voluntary cough sometimes. What happens trying to cough is that I make a terrible noise ... like a roar, very embarrassing ... but can't get a cough going. Then usually, after a few tries, it kicks in. I've got to master my cough assist !

Cough Assist

Sharonca was right. You need to get the Cough Assist. You don't want to get short winded or force the cough. Medicare paid for Tims.

I was taught how to push/mild thrust on Tim's abdomen to help him cough and get up mucus.

Lorie

Hello Sharon , Beth , and Lorie , thank you for your replys , I haven't heard of Cough Assist so may have to ask a member of my care team about it . Oh yes Beth , all I get is a rather embarrassing voice noise too . Thank you again , you're all very kind :) xx

Lorie,
Can you elaborate on the technique you use? My mom has a cough assist but is still afraid to use it.

I have been using a thickener in my husbands liquids that seems to help from him getting things down the wrong pipe. It's called Thick It. I got it at Walgreens.

I use Thick and Easy added to my drinks , it's a case of getting the right consistancy at the moment xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back