Diagnosis
08/2001
Country
Ca
State
Alberta
City
Ponoka
I thought I would like to share with fellow Christians some scripture which I can really identify with and I wondered if others of you did the same. I say for fellow Christians because one who does not know Christ as his Savior could not identify with these verses at all. But in Christ, we can have great hope not only for our eternity, but also for right now in our present state.
Let me just explain a little bit about myself first. I am 52 years father of two and was diagnosed with this disease back in 2001. Within four years I had lost mobility from my neck level down and my lung volume went down to 47%. My swallowing and speech are still pretty good. I'm able to dictate this message with a Dragon NaturallySpeaking program as my hands and fingers won't type anymore. I went through all the typical stages of grief with this disease from initial denial that I had it at all, through venting anger at the world and especially my friends that they could carry on enjoying the pleasures of this world while I got left in the dust. Yes, definite self-pity. I would scream out in anger at God -- "this is unfair!" Finally I came to the realization I had a choice to make -- either continue being bitter and angry or to accept what was happening to my body and what God had in store for my life.
So here comes that passage that I really identified with: 2 Corinthians 4: 7 -- 18. "But we have this treasure in earthen vessels" -- that definitely describe me, a friable clay vessel that was hardly displaying strong Christian faith and values. But he graciously gave that precious treasure of salvation to this body, "that the excellence of the power may be of God and not of us!" Oh what an attitude changer. Taking the focus off myself and putting it on God! Then I can embrace the following verses: "we are hard pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair, persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed -- always caring about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life of Jesus also may be manifested in our body."
The next part feels like is just written for a person with ALS, because his body is literally withering away before his eyes: "therefore we do not lose heart. Even though our outward man is perishing, yet the inward man is being renewed day by day. For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, while we do not look at things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen. For the things which are seen are temporary, but the things which are not seen are eternal." God has my focus where it should be now -- on the unseen things and not the seen things! My attention is not on the things of the world that I am missing out on but on the joys there are in Fellowship with Christ Jesus my Savior! I hope there are others of you out there that can identify with this too.

Welcome Dougly. Wow another Albertan! I knew that there were more of us out there. Thanks for your post and letting us know about you and how you are coping with this horrible disease.

Dear Dougly,
I strongly agree with your insight and focus on our Lord. I am so glad this body is just and "earthen vessel"! He is the Potter and we, His clay. Isn't it incredible how His peace comes with focusing on Him? I want my will to be totally aligned with His, knowing that He will be--and is--my strength and comfort. It is indeed already "eternity", although our sight is still by faith.
Love,
Ann

It is good to welcome a fellow Christian and a fellow Canadian as well.

For me, I did not go through the usual stages. I accepted it right away and got on with my life.

Here are some scriptures that I love;

ISA 26:3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.
4 Trust ye in the LORD for ever: for in the LORD JEHOVAH is everlasting strength:

Philippians 4:7-9 And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Very encouraging posts in this thread! Thanks fellows!

Zaphoon

Dougly,

Thank you so much for sharing this thought. I love that scripture and it was a blessing to be reminded of it tonight. It is very touching especially to those of us touched by ALS. This body is truly just a shell, just what your spirit is taking residence in while on this earth. We depend on them so heavily, when our true dependence should be on the Lord. I appreciate your courage and strength.

Many blessings to you!
Love
Holly

Hi, my name is Jozanne and this is my first posting on this forum. I am 40 and was diagnosed in 2005. I often read this forum. I am so happy to see that others also feel like I do.
I wrote a poem that I would like to share.

Pity me not

Pity me not
For I am the rich one
With treasures stored up in the sky

Pity me not
God's spirit's inside me
I don't feel alone or afraid

Pity me not
Though my body is limp
My spirit soars up there on high

Pity me not
Though my life may seem shortened
Today is all we can count on

Pity me not
My life may seem useless
But my Father chose me for His glory

Pity me not
My joy is complete
For my purpose before me is clear

Pity me not
For our time in this life
Withers and wastes away

It's the life after this
When we stand with the Son
That will last for Eternity

So, Pity me not
No Pity me not
I'm right where God wants me to be.

By Jozanne Moss

thank you

I don't know what is wrong yet but found comfort in your post, thank you! I will put you on my prayer list with your permision.

Jozanne,

Great work on the poem! There is solace in God's grace.

Kim

Jozanne, very well put. I love it--Thank you for sharing, and welcome!

Thanks so much for all these beautiful replies! I am deeply touched. Thank you Joel for those versus you suggested. And Jozanne, your poem is perfect! I'm going to print it off and hang it up on my wall. I am assuming that the country "SA" stands for South Africa? Very good to hear from you. And Barry G. you do not live far for me. I live on a farm northwest of Ponoka.
I'd like to share another verse from Ephesians 3: 17 -- 19
17so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
I love Beth Moore's comments on this verse. We need to be rooted in God's love so that we are not disillusioned when tragedy such as the disease strikes us. " -- we need to be rooted cause ‘everything was supposed to just turn out happy.’ So when tribulation comes, we need to be grounded in God’s incomprehensible love. We won’t be able to figure out why we’re going through certain things. It will remain a mystery to us. But this we can know, we will be rooted to the degree that we are absolutely convinced that God’s love for us is both lavish and unchanging. Were going to live our lives as offended people if we are not rooted in God’s love. Remember Romans 8. 28And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, If God is for us, who can be against us? 35Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? 37No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demonsneither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
How much do we embrace that. How utterly convinced are we of God’s love for us? To the marrow of our bone? We will be getting mad at God our whole lives if we do not settle in our minds that we are utterly convinced to the marrow of our bones that we are completely loved by God! That there’s absolutely nothing that can change that!"

Doug H

You may want to also visit this thread

For more encouraging words please visit
https://www.alsforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4711&highlight=Christians
Dougly,
Thank you for your wonderful encouraging words. What an outlook. I know how hard it is to get to that point.
I hope you do not mind but I copied your post to this thread above so others can be lifted by your comments.
God bless you my brother in Christ.

Dougly,

I can sure identify with you! 2Cor.4:17-18 is one of my choicest scriptures I hold on too:
"For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison, while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen; for the things which are seen are temporal, but the things which are not seen are eternal. "
This disease has brought me to a closer relationship with Jesus that I would not give up for healthy flesh!
This light affliction in this earthen vessel is only momentary. I am looking forward to eternity with Jesus, when I will be completely whole.
I look forward to seeing you, Dougly, on the other side!

Jozanne,
Thanks for sharing. I am right there with you!

Judith

Hi, my name is Jozanne and this is my first posting on this forum. I am 40 and was diagnosed in 2005. I often read this forum. I am so happy to see that others also feel like I do.
I wrote a poem that I would like to share.

Pity me not

Pity me not
For I am the rich one
With treasures stored up in the sky

Pity me not
God's spirit's inside me
I don't feel alone or afraid

Pity me not
Though my body is limp
My spirit soars up there on high

Pity me not
Though my life may seem shortened
Today is all we can count on

Pity me not
My life may seem useless
But my Father chose me for His glory

Pity me not
My joy is complete
For my purpose before me is clear

Pity me not
For our time in this life
Withers and wastes away

It's the life after this
When we stand with the Son
That will last for Eternity

So, Pity me not
No Pity me not
I'm right where God wants me to be.

By Jozanne Moss

I am a 37 year old wife and mother of 3 and was diagnosed ten days ago with als and ms both (i know, almost a statistically impossibility). this thread is just what I needed to hear today. I even skipped my bible study with my friends yesterday, just too emotional. I believe we are all in the same boat, most people are just sitting in the deck chairs..we all have no guarantees of tomorrow, some of us are just really aware of it. I may have 2 years or ten or more, but I really want to be strong and courageous, I am just waiting on the Lord to make that happen, think i will go soak myself in some scripture. Thanks all,

love and prayers,

jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back