Diagnosis
12/2003
Country
US
State
pa
City
Punxsutawney
Oh boy, I have been away from here for so long, I am not quite sure where to even begin. First let me say that I am sorry for not being around the last couple of months.

The kids are flourishing out here with my mum, like 2 totally different kids from several months ago and me. They are playing baseball this summer and really enjoying themselves. Now, for the big news, on June 30th, my friends held, kind of surprise benefit for me and my sons. When I say kind of, I mean that I knew it was happening, but knew absolutely none of the details about the evening. The magnitude of the evening was almost hard for me to comprehend. My friends are so awesome for doing this for me, there is no way that I will ever be able to thank them and the entire community enough. It was held at a local club in Punxsutawney, local restaurants and individuals donated all of the food, 150 local businesses donated gift cards, services, and various items for a Chinese auction, and roughly 400 people attended. After the birth of my sons, it was the single most spectacular night of my life! It was certainly a night that neither my sons nor I will ever forget. The final total raised, at last count, was just over $25,000 and they are still receiving donations! They paid off my van for me, paid down my attorney fees from my divorce, and the best part of all, they are sending us to Washington DC, for a week over the 4th of July, we leave on Monday! I have always been an avid hunter and outdoorsman my whole life and they are purchasing the necessary equipment for me to resume my love of the outdoors and hunting. I will post some pictures of the party on my profile page so you can see me and my friends enjoying a wonderful evening together. After we get back from DC, I will have more pictures to share.

Thats wonderful news! Duane! Friends are amazing! I'm happy to hear that you will be spending some holiday fun with your kids.

Can't wait to see the photo's.

Sis

WOW .. Duane , you have some special friends there.

Is there a tankchair in your future for the outdoors ?

FANTASTIC! That is absolutely marvelous!

Here is a copy of a brief speech that I wrote to thank everyone:

I have never been much for speeches, so I will make this as short as I possibly can.

I want to say thank you to my friends and family that helped organize this for me, especially Sharon Strawn-Compton who thought of doing this for my two sons, Zach and Brock and me. It is very humbling and overwhelming to think that this was done for me, and it is with the kindness, caring, support, and generosity of my family, friends and community that tonight, my life, as well as my family’s has been made a little better. Now with the purchase of a wheelchair-accessible van, I can get out and do things with my family and friends much easier than before, and for that I would like to thank each and every one of for giving me that chance and brightening my life in a way that most people take for granted. If I could hug or shake all of your hands, I would, but for now, a wink will have to do.

On the day Lou Gehrig retired from the New York Yankees, and baseball, he said in his farewell speech, that he was the luckiest man alive, even though he had been handed a bad break, he still had an awful lot to live for but I think he was wrong, because I think that I am luckiest man alive to have friends, family and a community that would do this for me, and yes, I have an awful lot to live for. Thank you.

Way to Duane! I am so glad that your friends and community was so willing and able to come through for you. I am also a hunter and I hope to be back out in the woods this fall even if I have to be wheeled around and parked somewhere by my hunting buddies. I think that we should all have tank chairs! My wife thinks that I am crazy looking forward to fall but what can I say. I hope that you have a great time in DC and take care of yourself! :razz:

Duane,

It is evident that you have many friends that think very highly of you. I'm very glad for you!

Zaphoon

Wow Duane! That is wonderful! Can't wait to see the pictures!

Wow Duane, that does make me smile, how wonderful.. I live with 2 big-time hunter's and really undertand how much it mean's to you. I cannot think of a person who has been through as much as you lately, and think that finally you got what you deserved... GOOD THINGS...I can speak for the forum when I give a big YAHOO..... have a great time on your trip, and here's to many a walk or roll in the wood's...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back