Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
ma
City
lexington
My husband and I are planning a trip to the Caribbean for January, can't let ALS stop us from living. It is quite a ways off and although we have every intention of going and at this point I am certainly able to take such a trip one never knows. I have been looking at trip cancellation insurance and what pre-existing condition means. My husband called and spoke with a company called CSA and we are really confused over whether we could be reimbursed if we had to cancel due to my ALS. Has anyone taken out trip insurance and if so with which company? Thanks.

In the UK most people take out travel insurance, but of course when you mention mnd/als the premiums go sky high. I could not tell you any names as they would apply to british people, but have you thought about contacting your als organisation, they might have some names for you.

Thank you Jennifer, I have an email into them.

Hi, Marianne ! (nice name !)
My husband & I took a cruise in Feb. (to the Caribbean, by the way!). We only planned it in Dec. but we did get trip insurance.
It was from Travel Insured International (recommended by our travel agent), it did seem expensive, but considering the cost of the cruise and the airfare, we felt it was worth the piece of mind. Our plan included the option that if we cancelled our trip, we had a full refund- NO QUESTIONS ASKED, NO REASON NEED TO BE GIVEN !

I know there are others; but I would say be sure to consider that cancellation option !
Hope you have a wonderful time when you do go!
mare

Thank you Mare. We'll contact them. It will give me some peace of mind.

Hope you had a had wonderful cruise.

Marianne

Ok, have to make an amendment (correction) to the above.
I checked on our credit card statement and that is where I got the name Travel Insured In't. Then, that didn't sound right, so I checked with the travel agent. The name of the company is AccessAmerica.com.
She wasn't sure why the other name; perhaps it is the parent company? But on googling it, it does look the same. Just wanted to clarify, though!
Mea culpa!

Not a problem, it seems as if every company is owned by a bigger "fish". Thanks again.

Marianne

Some credit card companies give travel ins. if you put the trip on their card. When we travelled a lot before diagnosed we found different companies had various times that you had to be "stable" to get coverage. Anywhere from 3 to 9 months in most cases. Back then I had heart issues that we had to shop ins. for. Try CAA or AAA if in US. CAA had pretty good rates up here.

AL.

This is a really helpful thread... I am grateful for any and all info on this one...

We did contact Access America and they were very helpful. If you buy the insurance within fourteen days of making the first payment on your trip they will cover a pre-existing condition provided you were physically able to travel at that time. The said they might need a letter from the doctor attesting to that fact if we have to cancel but it is looking good.

Marianne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back