Diagnosis
11/2010
Country
CA
State
B. C.
City
Vancouver (Surrey)
for those of you who can get the Vancouver Sun on line or at your library - the article was on the front page, March 6. Here is part of it...........

ALZHEIMER'S BLOOD TEST A B.C. WORLD FIRST
Vancouver scientist's breakthrough can also detect Parkinson's and mad-cow.

A Vancouver neuroscientist who has developed the world's first diagnostic blood test to detect diseases like Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, Lou Gehrig's and mad cow disease says it should be avilable in a year or two. The test, which looks for clumps of misfolded proteins that underlie such diseases, was developed by Dr. Neil Cashman, an international expert on neurodegenerative diseases.............etc. etc.

...................ruby from Vancouver

Neil Cashman? Never heard of him! Too bad Sunnybrook couldn't keep him home in Toronto. I'll check out the Sun.
Thanks Ruby

T

Re: Alzheimers and Lou Gehrig's Diagnosis

This is good news for people in the future with lou gehrig's disease or any of the other neurodegenerative disease. I listened to a voice spoken article about Dr. Cashman's discovery and followed up with reading articles and wanted to know if he was from the United States?
Cashman has done a lot of research over the years about neurodegenerative disorders. This discovery could put an end to the evasive procedures currently used, like spinals taps.
If you can listen to audio on your computer you should be able to listen to the voice article here.

Hi TBear and marilsa

Headline in our Vancouver newspaper last fall:-

ALS CLINIC LANDS A STAR

One of the world's top experts leaves Toronto to head G.F. Strong unit.

As of today, Vancouver's G.F. Strong Rehabilitation Hospital will be home to Canada's largest clinic for patients with ALS and it will be headed by Dr. Neil Cashman, one of the world's leading experts in such neurodegenerative diseases. Cashman is to be named the Canada resarch chair in neurodegeneration and protein misfolding diseases. He will move here from Toronto.........etc.

You might be interested in a couple of his comments in the article -

80% of those with ALS die within five years. My record with an ALS patient was 33 years. Some patients are turtles and some are rabbits, he said referring to life expectancy.

...................ruby from vancouver

I went to Google under Dr. Cashman's name and there is alot about him, he was born in the Boston area.
The info. is very exciting for our kids and families who don't have a clue if they will be victims or not. A cure maybe on the "horizon" hopefully in our lifetimes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back