Diagnosis
08/2008
Country
IND
State
Andhra Pradesh
City
Hyderabad
My father diagnosied with MND in Aug 2008. Some of the symptoms started in Feb 2008. He is 56, we are from Hyderabad, India. Progression is very fast. His both hands are non-functional for last 6 months and he is able to walk within the house with support.

I visited this forum few times, but joined today to share my experiences and seek advice.
I will be grateful if any one can provide advice to reduce the speed of progression or refer to me the past posts.

Thanks
Sri

Hi Sri,

I am very sorry to hear about your father's progression. My Dad was also diagnosed with ALS in August 2008. He has progressed since then but recently he got a feeding tube and he is actually doing better. He had lost a lot of weight and that can speed up the progression but now with his feeding tube he has gained some weight back and is doing much better! If your father is still able to eat, them encourage him to eat more and keep his weight up and get balanced nutrition. Other than that, a positive mental attitude will help him too. That's the best advice I can give you in terms of slowing down the progression. Keep the weight and the spirits up!

Good luck with your father. It's good that you found this forum, there is a lot of great information here and the people are fantastic!

Sri,

I echo Thelma's advice! Keep the weight and spirits up!

Also, if he can get a BiPap, it would be beneficial. Just using it at night has helped my husband with his stamina during the day.

I wish you and your precious dad Good Luck!

Sri,
I second both the nutrition and the bipap - both have helped my Dad.
Welcome to the forum. Sorry your Dad has MND but I am glad your here so that we can learn from each other.
Dana

Thanks all for your suggestions. I will discuss both the options with doctor and proceed accordingly.

Thanks again
Sri

Best of luck with everything, Sri and please keep us posted on your father.

So many others' fathers were diagnosed in August 2008...I wish we could all get together and have coffee. Good luck Sri, these people have great advice..

Never give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back