Diagnosis
03/2009
Country
UK
State
Derbyshire
City
Derby
Hi, I'm new on this forum but would just like to say that my husband and I are devastated to hear his diagnosed which was last week. He was seeing his neurologist for 2 and a half years before he gave him his diagnosed last week. Can I ask what tests people have had to get to the diagnosis? And how long they took to get their diagnosis? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am very sorry about your recent diagnosis! I hope you can find the help, love and support you need here, we have a lot of caring helpful people here - Welcome!

You can also look at the "Do I have ALS? Is this ALS?" forum and find some criteria for diagnosing ALS.

Jackie

Welcome to our little family, but I am very sorry that you had to find us. You will meet a lot of very knowledgeable people here and make some friends along the way.

As for your question, I had 2 EMGs and that combined with the clinical presentation of symptoms, was enough for my diagnosis. Luckily, my progression has been somewhat slow, until the last year or so, but I attribute that purely to stress. I was diagnosed 5 years ago and am still plugging away. I have no trache, feeling tube, I know my limitations as to what I can and can't eat and have made adjustments as needed to how I live my life. Please tell your husband to remain as positive as he can, as much as he can. That will help a tremendous amount. Your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hi, Jackie ... I'm so sorry about your husband's diagnosed. I know what a shock it is.

It took two years and two months (and seven neurologists) after I first noticed symptoms before I received the diagnosed of ALS, although ALS was mentioned as a possibility from the start. I also had three other diagnosed of other conditions before they settled on ALS. I had a ton of blood work done, an MRI and two EMGs.

It took me a few weeks before I could even stand to see friends or family members other than my husband after the diagnosed, because I knew I would lose it if I did. I think it was really a couple of months before I could wrap my brain around the situation. As the weeks went by, I realized that my big job was going to be managing it all ... finding relief for symptoms, going to a zillion doctors and clinics, and filling out endless paperwork.

I know you will find support from the magnificent caregivers on this forum.

Take care.

Hi Jackie,

Welcome and so sorry you had to seek out this forum. My dad was diagnosed in August 2008. He started showing symptoms in February so it took 6 months and 2 EMG's. We never saw it coming. It was a complete and total shock. I still can't quite believe it.

You will find a lot of support and great advice here. The people on this forum are amazing and will provide you with a real source of comfort.

hi jackie.
welcome to the forum.
it took several years ruling out other things for me.
tests were mri's,nvc,blood tests,genetic testing and more.........all normal/clear.

if his progression is slow then that is good and i hope it continues that way.

Hi Jackie,

It took about 6 months from my partner's visit to his GP to his diagnosis. He had:
1 mri scan
2 emgs
various blood tests
physical examination by two neurologists

Interestingly, before any tests were conducted, and while we were on holiday abroad, he saw a neurologist who did a physical examination and suspected MND on the basis of brisk reflexes and hand atrophy, but obviously could not provide diagnosis without further tests.

Wishing you all the best.

Sorry you are here and welcome. My gp said from day 1 that it could be the worst. Saw neuro next day as we have private health. Neuro said the same within minutes of me walking in, tests....ton of blood tests, MRI, EMG and NVC ,Lumbar puncture and within 3 weeks it was confirmed. Contact the mnd association, get the DLA (disability Living Allowance) and carers allowance all in progress. There is a lot of help out there, but in our experience you have to be vocal to get it. Ask as many questions as you like on here, you will get the answers.
Thoughts are with you, you know we all understand what you are going through.

Hi Everyone,
Thank you for your kind words and full answers to my questions. I have found quite a lot of information on this site and will continue to. We are both in limbo at the moment waiting for the next step so to speak. That is an appointment at the nearest MND centre and getting any medication he needs to help him. I'm scared of depression but hopefully it is a knee jerk reaction and we will soon start thinking positively and live for the day not the future. Thank you all.

Jackie... my mum was diagnosed just over a month ago. I read a post on here by someone once to the effect of: "if you think the day of diagnosis was the worst day of your life, things can only get better." that helped me.
this is a great forum, full of great people and great advice. when i first came here i was horrified that anyone could use an emoticon in their posts. i kind of assumed that they would be devastated and depressed all the time. now look at me :-D i'm still working on it... but i'm definitely a little better than i was 4 weeks ago.

remember, you and your husband will smile and be happy again. take care.

The best advice that I received was from my mom; she said to live ONE DAY AT A TIME! It was very difficult to do when we first heard the diagnosis, but it is easier now. And we continue to pray that there will be a drug trial that can help slow the progression until a cure can be found. There is SO much positive news about the research that is being done!

Hi Jackie,
My husband David was diagnosed in October at Stanford and we got a second opinion from UCSF which confirmed the diagnosis. He had emg, mri, blood tests and two neurological exams.

We were also very devastated to get this diagnosis, however we are now 5 months from diagnosis and life is still pretty good. He is weaker in his arms and hands but still able to do most things. I have found our ALS support group to be very helpful along with this forum. Alot of my fear has been reduced because there is so much support and help to deal with every situation we will face.

Hope this helps and I too am so sorry for your husband's diagnosis. Bev

I, too, am so sorry to meet this way. Here is my mother's timeline.

My mother began showing signs in May 2007. She was diagnosed in Feb 2008. She had 1 emg that showed many areas of motor malfunction without any sensory loss. I will say that she saw a neurologist from July until Nov 2007. He did not diagnose her. He got defensive when questioned about her situation so, I took her to a neurosurgeon that diagnosed her in 2 visits. She was very good to us, even while being very candid about the disease.

Thinking back, I believe she began subtle changes as early as summer of 2006. I can remember her saying she was getting some cramps in her calves when she walked. She also would say that holding my baby daughter smothered her.

The first major sign was a dropfoot. Then, her eating began going downhill. Next, her voice started going. Then her walking problems began to escalate. Next, her left arm withered. Now, she is in the bed except when we get her up to go to the bedside potty.

So, she is fitting into the 1 to 3 years given by the medical establishment. She has handled the situation with grace. Even now, the occassional breakdowns she has are normal. I would cry boat loads if I were in her shoes.

Hi Jackie,

Welcome to the forum. It seems like people come to terms with this in different ways, give yourself and your husband time. Its hard, no denying, but its like anything else that gets thrown at you in life, you'll find ways to cope.

It took me about 20 months to get a diagnosis, I had many of the usual battery of tests, I did not have a muscle biopsy or a spinal tap, & was treated unsuccessfully for possible autoimmune cause for about a year.

Stress and physical fatigue are bad, laughter is good. Maybe that sounds too simplistic, but these are concepts that have been constants for me.

I wish you and your family the very best, and look forward to reading your posts.

I once heard a statement. And I feel like it holds true.

"What at first seems unacceptable, later becomes acceptable"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back