Diagnosis
03/2008
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
I'm doing research for my mom. Her Dad wanted her to consider trying Low Dose Naltrexone. I've done a couple searches on the forum, doesn't look like a miracle cure from what I've read, but some people were trying it out. All the posts are about a year old now. Anyone try it? Any updates?

My mom has Bulbar Palsy ALS- she was diagnosed last March. She has almost lost her voice completely. And she has lost most of her strength in her arms and her hands are very week also. She chokes all the time and her diet is very limited. With her arm and hand strength she is so limited in her meal prep. Personally I don't think she is getting proper nutrition. I don't know at what point a feeding tube is recommended, but I think it may would help her. Like everyone else with this horrid disease- if you could just get it to stabilize.

Thanks for your insight.

I usually find that you don't here about hear much on these supplements/ drugs after a while because they don't work and most people hate to come back and say they got sucked in.

AL.

I'm doing research for my mom. Her Dad wanted her to consider trying Low Dose Naltrexone. I've done a couple searches on the forum, doesn't look like a miracle cure from what I've read, but some people were trying it out. All the posts are about a year old now. Anyone try it? Any updates?

My mom has Bulbar Palsy ALS- she was diagnosed last March. She has almost lost her voice completely. And she has lost most of her strength in her arms and her hands are very week also. She chokes all the time and her diet is very limited. With her arm and hand strength she is so limited in her meal prep. Personally I don't think she is getting proper nutrition. I don't know at what point a feeding tube is recommended, but I think it may would help her. Like everyone else with this horrid disease- if you could just get it to stabilize.

Thanks for your insight.

naltrexone is not worth taking. its mechanism of action has no relevance to the neuron damage in ALS. although MS pts have some relief from symptoms, MS is not ALS in its cause and effect on motor neurons.

if your mom is choking all the time, then it sounds like she needs a feeding tube. proper nutrition is very important to maintain a healthy immune system, keep bones strong, and keep muscles from wasting away to quickly. talk to your mom's doctor about your concerns.

Hi lovinglife, I don't know anything about Naltrexone but I do know that if your Mom is having trouble eating then it's time for a feeding tube.

Barry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back