Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
nj
City
deptford
My mother is having trouble sleeping so she has been sleepin in a recliner. we now have a hospital bed that can lift her head and legs up and down but she is still complaining that its uncomfortable. I even recently purchased a gel overlay. I was curious what others are doing for sleeping arrangements. i was thinking of a better bed like those sleep numbers or regular beds that raise and lower the head and feet. any thoughts or insight would be helpful. thanks.

Does she suffer from a tight feeling in the chest when she lies down, or is her discomfort from bony areas pushing into the mattress? Being one who loves to sleep, I sympathize with anyone who does not get rest !

For almost two years, my father could only use his recliner. We had the best equipment from his medicare and the VA, but he did best in his recliner. I had quite a time rigging things up so that his feet wouldn't drop. All parts of him were propped in various positions. I figured that if he wanted to be in the recliner, then why not? He had such trouble breathing lying down. The recliner was so much more comfortable for him. Mary Helen

Have you talked to ALSA or MDA about a loaner hospital bed? Our loaners have different type mattresses and I'm on my third type as I progress and have more discomfort, I call and they bring something else.

AL.

Ceegee-

My mom was uncomfortable for two reasons, first that she was boney and second because she had trouble breathing if she was lying down flat. We received a pocketed air mattress sort of thing from the ALSA in our community. It worked with the raising and lowering of the hospital bed because it had loops for over the corners, so it didn't move around. It was super helpful for her. She didn't like the gel for some reason. It is presently just sitting in my closet.

I'm happy to mail it to you if you'd like to give it a shot?

Kaija

sleeping

Hi Ceegee

My husband has a hospital bed for raising his head as works best sleeping with bipap. Unfortunately, he has issues, even with gel overlay, with upon rising in am, with back discomfort.

By raising the hospital bed in a higher position the back feels better but he has some issues with (as his legs still work, thank God) if hose popped out of bipap and I didn't hear him he would die. He has a legitimate issue. Someone posted on here regarding the sleep mattress (about $4,000 for a good Queen) but my husband also is frugal. lol

So, we deal with the back issues day to day. Once I have him up and about, his back works itself out but sure wish I could make him more comfortable.

Good luck with yours too!

Once I started sleeping on the wedge pillow (lying flat is too uncomfortable on my chest) I found I was getting low back pain upon arising. I put a firm pillow under my knees and that seems to do the trick for me.

Hi,
We have a high quality air mattress for Tammy. Before this she also was getting sore from pressure points. The air mattress can be adjusted from soft to hard. Tammy likes it in the middle position and it contours to her body. For example she only got up twice last night to be turned vs. every hour without the air mattress.
Mark

We purchased an UltraMatic king sized bed. It has all the adjustments and features you could ever want. I use a ROHO mattress as well and it is very comfortable. We could not make a hospital bed comfortable no matter what we did.

Hi,
The hospital bed that we had for my mom had an air mattress on it. It had a comfort control on the side of the bed. It could be made firm or soft. My mom slept on her side up until she passed away. We had so many different pillows that are available too. This bed was wonderful. I believe it was supplied to her OT by the Red Cross.

Can you get beds like that where you can sleep with your partner? Or do you pretty much sleep separately now?

Our Ultramatic is a kind sized bed which means we sleep together, but have independent adjustments.

nothing works for me as far as bed goes. I have to use a recliner, because my legs cramp and I can't move.

I'm in a hospital bed and my wife is in a single bed next to me. I can move my bed to the same level as hers but still raise the head of mine the bit that I need.

AL.

Hi Ceegee, we had the same problem with Mum. Tried the hospital bed but she said it was too uncomfortable. Tried loads of pillow etc, nothing worked. My mum loved her own bed, so we eventually found a solution. Its called an electric pillow lifter. Like the recliner chair it has a remote. It sits under the mattress and when pressed it moves the top of the mattress up like a recliner. So, she still has her same bed (id say that bed is older than me) with the same mattress, a few added pillows, but with her favourite on top and the electric pillow lifter. It has been a real godsend! And she still has her double bed....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back