Diagnosis
05/2006
Country
US
State
Ms
City
Gulfport
Staying in the Cave out of fear of not being able to use public rest rooms.
My wife talked me into going out this week to eat and I found out that the public rest rooms were not designed to where I could transfer from the wheelchair. Many of the public toilets do not have handicapped rails close to the toilet where one can pull themselves out of the wheelchair on to the commode, and back again. I have found myself facing this problem even in churches that I have attended.

It is a shame that whoever designed these did not request the advice of someone who would have to use them.

Now I find myself afraid to go anywhere because of the embarrassment of not being able to go when I need to go.

Anyone else understand or have any suggestions?

Dear MT...

When I had my stroke I had this same type of situation. Fortunately for me, I have daughters who were willing to follow me to the ladies room, and help me to the toilet.

God allows us to suffer many indignities to the human body. Christ Himself suffered the humiliation of the cross. When we take all these things and give them to God (I believe) He gathers them up for us for the next world. All these blows to the body will shine like the sun/Son (Christ)...each way....because we will become like Christ in heaven.

This is just a short journey for us. There is eternity. Just like the stars and planets that seem to go on forever....so will we.

God bless you
take care
lovelily

We had this issue this past weekend at the beach, but it was while ON the beach. It was difficult to push the beach wheelchair back to the house for him to use the bathroom and it's not like he could just hop into the water and go. I recall someone on here using condom catheters and I talked to Brian about using them for situations like those. You would still have to empty it in the toilet, but it would keep you from having to transfer to the commode. ?

Ashley

What about adult diapers? They're great for times like when you want to go out. They're not as cute as Pampers, but who cares? :?
Jane

travel urinals

Staying in the Cave out of fear of not being able to use public rest rooms.
My wife talked me into going out this week to eat and I found out that the public rest rooms were not designed to where I could transfer from the wheelchair. Many of the public toilets do not have handicapped rails close to the toilet where one can pull themselves out of the wheelchair on to the commode, and back again. I have found myself facing this problem even in churches that I have attended.

It is a shame that whoever designed these did not request the advice of someone who would have to use them.

Now I find myself afraid to go anywhere because of the embarrassment of not being able to go when I need to go.

Anyone else understand or have any suggestions?

Many years ago, before I was even diagnosed we looked for something for when travelling for emergency use...we bought travel urinals. I am sure you can buy them in the USA and canada, but otherwise we bought ours from somewhere like www.betterlifehealthcare.com (or was us .co.uk) The one we bought was for males with a female adapter to put in, plus a cap, so you can carry the contents without fear of spillage until you could empty it. For liquids only. You would still have to find somewhere discrete to use it, but even badly fitted restrooms should be ok for that.
Hope it helps someone. Jennifer (new member)

Capt Al,

I also face this dilemma while going out. I try and make sure not to drink much if anything prior to leaving home and I also try and drain myself too. I have been fortunate to have good control of my bladder. I have been gone as much as 9 hrs from home and held it till I got back home. The biggest problem with adequate bathroom facilities is when I'm at a ballgame, as far as restaurants, my wife always goes with me to the men's restroom and we get in the stall. Knocking on the door before going in and using the stall seems to have worked out fine. I never go to the bathroom at church and if we are at the mall they have a family restroom that works well. I have a 4-wheel scooter I bought about 3 months ago and it has been a blessing to allow me to go places.

I understand your anxiety. My husband and I went on vaction just before he passed and being close to a rest room was very important. One day he went by himself but did not wear footwear and had a panic attack, afraid he would fall. I had to go find him.

This probably won't help you except to say that I understand.

One of my main problems right now is the height of the toilets. At home I have a handicap toilet and a six inch riser. So I can transfer right over same height. In public restrooms that I have tried the toilet is so low, if I get on it, I cannot get back up. So if I need to have a bowel movement, I am in a bind, so to speak. I am 6 feet tall and at least 250 pounds. Do not really know since I can no longer get on a scale. No way for my wife to lift me.

I tried 4 different rest rooms this week and all of them had the same problem, short toilets, and handicapped bar too far away from toilet.

It is bad when you have to drive back home to have a BM. So I just stay home.

I am just getting back to work and have had to advocate and remind my employer of regulations as to proper handicapped toilet height. Does your state have regulations that are perhaps not being followed? Is there a politician that could help in your quest for proper washrooms? I find that I am becoming really vocal about stuff like this because I don't think we should have to stay home to be able to use a washroom with dignity.

I too am finding that while they can put the handicapped symbol on the door does not mean that a person can transfer on and off themselves due to improper toilet height. My husband and daughter have to accompany me and help out. Only had one lady take initial offense until I offered to let her help me instead (which she declined).

Keep trying - it is important to get out of the house - :)

[QUOTE=MtPockets;47811]One of my main problems right now is the height of the toilets. At home I have a handicap toilet and a six inch riser. So I can transfer right over same height. In public restrooms that I have tried the toilet is so low, if I get on it, I cannot get back up. So if I need to have a bowel movement, I am in a bind, so to speak. I am 6 feet tall and at least 250 pounds. Do not really know since I can no longer get on a scale. No way for my wife to lift me.

I tried 4 different rest rooms this week and all of them had the same problem, short toilets, and handicapped bar too far away from toilet.

It is bad when you have to drive back home to have a BM. So I just stay home.[/QUOTE]

This is just a thought, but maybe could help the problem. If you use a suppository a couple hours before you leave the house, it will induce a natural bowel movement, usually within an hour, and you won't have to worry about that urge coming up again when you're "out of the cave."

Then, using the kind of male urine containers they have in hospitals should help when you're on the road. You can get them in any well-stocked pharmacy and you should be able to use them discretely, even while in the car.

Hope you find a good solution!
BethU

I had a Dr.'s appointment in Jackson, Mississippi last Thursday morning so my wife and I went over Wednesday and spent the night in a motel. I called and reserved a handicap room 2 weeks prior. Upon arriving they had me set up in a room on the 3rd floor with an elevator for access. The room had a bathtub with a shower and a wood seat across the tub to sit on. He told me they had a walk in shower on the 1st floor which I thought would be more convenient. We take all our luggage down to that room and right before we go to bed that night my wife examines the shower and finds that the shower doesn't even work. So here we go back to the 3rd floor and stay in that room. I take a shower the next morning and like to never been able to get up to a standing position from that dang board. The commode is just like a normal house commode and that is also a trick rising from it. Just because they have bars on the wall doesn't make these places handicap equipped.

Public Bathroom Problems

I, too have problems using public bathrooms. I also use a raised commode chair with handrails at home which works fine. I use the portable urinals when I,m out and that helps a lot but if I have to have a bowel movement I just have to wait until I get home. Luckily, I stay a little constipated most of the time. For a long time I didn't go anywhere but to dr's appointments, but have started to get out more and always carry a portable urinal in the car with us.

It seems like when businesses are constructing handicapped bathrooms they would consult with someone who is handicapped in order to build it so it is usable.
Gordon

One of my main problems right now is the height of the toilets. At home I have a handicap toilet and a six inch riser. So I can transfer right over same height. In public restrooms that I have tried the toilet is so low, if I get on it, I cannot get back up. So if I need to have a bowel movement, I am in a bind, so to speak. I am 6 feet tall and at least 250 pounds. Do not really know since I can no longer get on a scale. No way for my wife to lift me.

It is bad when you have to drive back home to have a BM. So I just stay home.

Capt Al
Do I have a story for you. I went out to eat with my girlfriend and had spinich and articoke dip.Well! it went right through me. I went into a bathroom in a clothing store. and locked the door. When I went to get up I couldnt. My friend cound'nt get to me because I locked the door. So I crawled off the toilet on my knees to the door unlocked it and my friend had to pick me up, which took forever for her to do. All I did was cry the whole time. So I am so afraid to have a BM out,unless there is someone outside the door I can call with my cell phone to come and help.
Also I ask if there is a single toilet my husband can assist me, and use that resturant mostly. and I alway try to take care of my needs before I leave the house. sometimes you can use the employees bathroom which is a singleroom as well. You have to ask.

Also I found a portable height seat to take in the car if you need it your wife can bring it in to the place you are at.
I do understand what you are saying the world is not really ready for us.

Pat

Best bathroom we have had was in the Holiday inn in West Lake Ohio in March. The room was handicapped room big enough to move power chair around and in to bathroom. Roll in shower with fold up bench plus portable stool and bars on all the walls at different heights and sink you could wheel under. We took our own commode chair from home and everything worked great. Found out later we could have rented a commode chair. Don't know if all the Holiday Inn's are this good but worth a call if you're travelling. For regular outings we use the portable urinal and use ladies room or family bathroom. Lee just announces at door she is bringing handicapped husband in and we use handicapped stall. BM's I do at home because we need the Hoyer lift.
AL.

Mt,

You got me curious on that one!

I started googling cuz I know my husband is NOT going to be stuck at home or I will go slap insane! LOL

Don't think I found any solutions, but a couple of ideas might could be modified in some way:

The Indipod & Uncle Booger's Bumper Dumper

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back