Old 07-10-2018, 08:45 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
Kristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really nice
City: Grafton
State: MA
Diagnosed: 03/2017
Kristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really niceKristina1 is just really nice
Default non-religious books on facing death/terminal illness

Can anyone recommend books that offer perspective, support, and peaceful contemplation for people in our situation? Something that might help me reconcile emotions and fears and gain more peace with myself? But please, NOT a religious oriented book. Thank you in advance for any recommendations.
Thanks from
Al188 (08-03-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM #2 (permalink)

City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Wilson2009 is on a very distinguished roadWilson2009 is on a very distinguished road
City: Lenexa
State: KS
Diagnosed: 01/2017
Wilson2009 is on a very distinguished roadWilson2009 is on a very distinguished road
Default Re: non-religious books on facing death/terminal illness

I found 'Being Mortal' by Atul Gawande a good read for what is to come for all of us.

Dave
Thanks from
Kristina1 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 10:12 AM #3 (permalink)

City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold
City: Stuttgart
State: Germany
Diagnosed: 07/2017
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
wishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to beholdwishmobbing is a splendid one to behold

We listened to a very good book by Gian Domenico Borasio (a palliative care doctor) which is called "‹ber das Sterben" ("About dying"), I don't think it's translated into English. Probably because it relates very much to conditions in Germany. But I found a TED talk with him. Search for "It's not about dying | Gian Domenico Borasio | TEDxCHUV".
Not sure if that's the direction you're searching for. He's far from religious. He knows that the personality and beliefs of every person matter.
Thanks from
Kristina1 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 03:17 PM #4 (permalink)

City: Small Town
State: Maritimes
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Annabelledingdong is on a distinguished road
City: Small Town
State: Maritimes
Diagnosed: 12/2017
Annabelledingdong is on a distinguished road

I have read two memoirs: "When Breath Becomes Air" and "The Bright Hour".

I also viewed some videos on YouTube produced by the Nour Foundation on death and dying.

I am not particularly religious but most helpful for me was viewing YouTube videos of Ajahn Brahm from the Budhist Society Western Australian. His message of acceptance has been really helpful in helping me find some peace of mind.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annabelledingdong For This Useful Post:
Gotty (08-30-2018), Kristina1 (07-10-2018)
Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 PM #5 (permalink)

City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold
City: Barrie
State: ON
Diagnosed: 08/2014
Vincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to beholdVincent is a splendid one to behold

Find a copy of The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, by Sogyal Rinpoche. While it is about Tibetan Buddhism it also teaches a certain philosophy if life and death. Think mindfulness and cognitive behavioral therapy, these are all from buddhist belief. THere are similar lines of thinking in Christian and Jewish meditation , but things eastern tend to appeal to westerners. Myself, I just pray the Rosary. To each his own.....
Vincent
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
Gotty (08-30-2018), Kristina1 (07-10-2018)
Closed Thread

Tags
death, support