07/2017
Country
Uni
State
NY
City
Cortlandt Manor
Hello,

I’m a caregiver and my husband has had three 15 - 20 minute episodes in which his teeth and arms and legs shake involuntarily. Has anyone experienced this?

Thanks,

Lisa

Like teeth chattering? And are the extremities rhythmic? It sounds like clonus which is really common. It is a sign of upper motor neuron dysfunction along with things like spasticity and hyper reflexes

Can you describe a bit more - was there anything that seemed to trigger it? Did you just have to wait it out or did repositioning limbs make a difference?
Have you asked his neurologist?

I haven't seen a body-wide episode like that, but my husband did have clonus episodes in jaw and limbs, but it was usually only one area of the body at a time and when a limb could be stopped by repositioning.

My friend with ALS gets it but it is usually in only one part of her body at a time. Most frequently, it's her jaw.

Can you describe a bit more - was there anything that seemed to trigger it? Did you just have to wait it out or did repositioning limbs make a difference?
Have you asked his neurologist?

I haven't seen a body-wide episode like that, but my husband did have clonus episodes in jaw and limbs, but it was usually only one area of the body at a time and when a limb could be stopped by repositioning.

Thanks for your reply! Nothing triggered it from what we can tell. He took a Valium and I massaged his jaw and it subsided eventually.

These were the triggers for my Chris.

Jaw - any breeze, warm or cool hitting his face would trigger clonus. This was one of his earliest symptoms. Becoming at all cold would also trigger his jaw as would becoming upset or angry.

Legs - when getting him ready for a standing transfer, it seemed postural. I would begin to position him more forward in his chair or sit him up to the edge of the bed. Repositioning the limb would usually stop the clonus fairly quickly, but if we just watched it would keep going.

the first time it happened to me I was terrified. The triggers for me are chills and stress. When just teeth chattering sometimes a hand under my jaw stops it. Otherwise, getting covered in blanket and being held tightly helps me. It is hard not to panic when the whole body shakes like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back