Diagnosis
11/2014
Country
US
State
Texas
City
Austin
Lately, I've noticed a difference when I swallow. I'm limb onset and have not had any problems with swallowing or eating. Now, at times, it kind of feels mushy when I swallow. Especially in the morning.

And, I've had several occasions where saliva will just slide down the wrong pipe if I'm leaning back which naturally leads to coughing.

I was wondering from your experiences if this is how other PALS swallowing issues began.
Thanks!

Welcome to my world Marty. I choke on saliva, food, and drink several times a day even when I am careful. I try to spit as often as I can so I don't have to risk choking on saliva, but my spitter seems to be broke and it often hits my beard.

I can't offer any solutions to this issue, but I can promise it only gets worse!

Like you I was originally diagnosed with limb onset. For me, it has affected all of my limbs at least some.
The swallowing kind of just started happening once in a while and became more frequent. I don't know about my throat feeling mushy, but we are all different. Plus I chewed tobacco up to about a year ago, that didn't help my throat. What I did notice, was that every now and then, some liquid or small piece of food would go the "wrong way" and commence the coughing. Thus I started changing how I ate and drank everything.

Something to think about, if your swallowing is becoming compromised. I started having a problem with food that had liquids mixed together with them. The liquid would come out of the food and my throat would not be ready and hence, the coughing. I started eating most of my food on the dry side with no added liquids.
Good luck.

Marty,

It's part of ALS but I have wondered if is that we are sitting more than we ever have in our lives now. I'd say most of us do not sit all day straight up. I have a roll top desk and an office chair which is always is in the first recline position. If I put it further back it occurs more often. Those of us who can still get around with a walker may notice it is not a problem then. It's like before when we were active we'd get thirsty not producing saliva.

Just my thoughts.

I am there! Same $hit happening to me these last few months.

Totally drowning, and a busted spitter too.

Got no solutions up my sleeve but glad I have cough assist,suction machine, vest near by if it gets real bad

Hang in!

I have limb onset and became dependant on a feeding tube 18 months ago when swallowing deteriorated.
For saliva management I sit with chin down slightly to keep saliva running to front of mouth where I can can handle swallowing it. Also using a Scopalamine patch and atropine drop or two under the tongue to reduce saliva to a manageable amount. Still need suction every so often.
Bruce

same experience here. When it first started the clinic speech person showed me ways to swallow more safely. Tip head forward and pay attention to swallow. Also, tips about avoiding some foods, especially mixed consistity foods. The saliva issue is just new reality, sadly

I'm bulbar onset. For me it started with choking on saliva and tongue cramps. It progressed from there to frequent choking on thin liquids and small dry, flaky/particulate foods. Now I rely on my feeding tube for liquids but with a few modifications I can eat most foods. I do have a problem with sticky thick foods (think peanut butter and similar consistency), they get stuck at the back of my throat where it feels like the precipice is between my airway and esophagus. It gets back there and I can't move it, and because it's blocking the way I start to feel like I'm choking or suffocating (im not, it's just impeded) and I feel like I will never be able to move it. It's an irrational panic that itl be stuck there forever. Anyway after several scary moments with food like that I now avoid those kinds of consistencies too. Not sure if that's what you meant about mushy feeling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back