Old 04-16-2018, 03:39 PM #1 (permalink)
New Member (Say Hi)

City: Zelienople
State: PA
Diagnosed: 10/2017
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
wmilo is on a distinguished road
New Member (Say Hi)
City: Zelienople
State: PA
Diagnosed: 10/2017
wmilo is on a distinguished road
Default New to the Forum

Hi, Folks. My name is Bill; I'm a new PALS, diagnosed in October, 2017, and also new to the forum. As I looked at some of the threads, I was impressed by the courage and compassion of the members here and wanted to introduce myself to the group.

My experience started with foot drop in the Spring of 2017, followed by ortho and neuro consults, EMG and nerve conduction studies, and the ALS diagnosis. I feel fortunate that I was diagnosed relatively quickly compared to what some others have had to go through.

I am using AFOs to help with the foot drop, and have found that hiking poles help when walking around the neighborhood, both with balance and by taking some strain off my legs. I can still do stairs, slowly, but can't carry much of anything up them.

I started Radicava infusions in early December and have been through five cycles, with minimal/no side effects. I am very grateful that my wife, who is my CALS, is able to administer the infusions at home which greatly reduces the time and effort required.

I identified with some recent posts from people who still question the diagnosis, even though they are far enough along with the disease to know it is ALS. I think in a way my mind is trying to protect me from all the harsh reality. As they say, "Denial is not just a river in Egypt." I don't look forward to the unpleasant later stages, but as I mentioned, I'm inspired by the courage of the folks here.

Best to all,
Bill
wmilo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:13 PM #2 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant future
Forum Moderator

City: Vancouver
State: BC
Diagnosed: 06/2015
Interest: I have been diagnosed with UMND/PLS.
ShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant futureShiftKicker has a brilliant future
Default Re: New to the Forum

Welcome, Bill.

Sorry to see you here for any reason, but a very warm welcome nonetheless. You will find this forum filled with information and shared experience- and also a great deal of support. The people here know what you are going through and can definitely empathize.

~Fiona
ShiftKicker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 04:53 PM #3 (permalink)

City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold
City: Vail
State: Colorado
Diagnosed: 07/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
swalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to beholdswalker is a splendid one to behold

Bill, I am very sorry to have to welcome you here, but welcome nonetheless.

I am glad you have taken the first step in joining this little community more fully. I have found it to be a wonderful place of support and advice.

And, I sure understand what you are saying about denial.

Steve
swalker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 05:08 PM #4 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future
Extremely Helpful Member

City: The Beach
State: South
Diagnosed: 08/2015
KimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant futureKimT has a brilliant future

Hi Bill,

I'm so glad you found us early on. The people and moderators on this forum are great. Please don't hesitate to ask any question. This forum is very active and you'll have lots of support.
KimT is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 AM #5 (permalink)

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to behold

City: Talent
State: Oregon
Diagnosed: 07/2017
KarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to beholdKarenNWendyn is a splendid one to behold

Hi Bill and welcome to the foot drop club. I wish you slow progression and more time on your feet.
KarenNWendyn is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:04 AM #6 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Bill, so glad you have made your first post so we can get to know you. Terribly sorry you are here with us, but it's the best place to be if that's where you have to be!
affected is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 09:32 AM #7 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of light
Very Helpful Member
City: Central NC
State: NC
Diagnosed: 12/2016
Clearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of lightClearwater AL is a glorious beacon of light

Bill, thank you for sharing your descriptive "journey" (as we used to call it) that brought you here. Unfortunately... welcome.
Clearwater AL is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:53 AM #8 (permalink)

City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road
City: Memphis
State: TN
Diagnosed: 11/2017
Romeosc is on a very distinguished road

Bill,

Welcome! Sorry you find yourself with so many others! DX is sad, but knowledge is the answer. Hope your advance is slow & easy!
Romeosc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 AM #9 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of
Very Helpful Member
City: renick
State: wv.
Diagnosed: 02/2015
chally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud ofchally has much to be proud of

Hey bill, thanks for the intro and letting us git to know ya some.

This forum is a valuable resource in learning about the nightmare.

No question is dumb only the one not asked.

Wishing ya slow progression, and all the mobility ya can muster,welcome
Chally
chally is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old Today, 08:06 PM #10 (permalink)

City: Stevenage
State: Hertfordshire
Diagnosed: 07/2016
WendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of light
City: Stevenage
State: Hertfordshire
Diagnosed: 07/2016
WendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of lightWendyWooG is a glorious beacon of light

hi Bill
Welcome to the forum.
Wendy
WendyWooG is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Tags
balance, cals, denial, diagnosed, diagnosis, early, emg, foot, foot drop, radicava, stages, wanted